News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Approaching sleep

Previous topic - Next topic

Skippy

I've never actually consciously projected before, but was reminded of something that has occasionally happened to me as I have been lying in bed, approaching sleep.

This hasn't happened often, but sometimes, when I've been lying in bed, drifting off, I've felt a sudden falling sensation, and then a sort of jerk, and then I'm wide awake again. What I was wondering, was, is this falling sensation my astral body separating itself from my physical body, and is the jerk its being jolted firmly back into my physical body?

I'm not sure. It's only happened a few times...probably only several times a year. I've never been quite sure what it was, but after I learned about atral projection, I wondered if this was the explanation.
The Bee Gees and Andy Gibb

bounda

this has happened to me many many times too when im not thinkin about projecting, IMO its your astral goin back into your physical and thats wat the jolt is from

kiwibonga

The jolt is often a response to coming out of a dream ; one minute you're standing doing something unconsciously, the next you're on the ground (on your bed) and that provokes a tiny shock. So yes, it is a re-entry, but the astral body has no weight, we don't just crash into our physical and cause it to jolt, it's more of a disorientation effect.

Work on your dream recall and affirmations some more, surely you'll benefit from it.
OBE counter: Lost track! 35+ since 3/21/2006

Skippy

Quote from: kiwibonga on November 10, 2006, 03:17:01The jolt is often a response to coming out of a dream ;

But this happens before I've actually gone to sleep and started dreaming. I'm close to sleep, but I'm not quite there yet. Unless I've been mistaken, and I actually had been asleep, but didn't realise it.

Kodemaster

Hi there and welcome to the Astral Pulse.

This question comes up from time to time. Check out this post in the FAQ:

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/index.php?topic=19292.0

Jen
JenX
Choose empathy. It costs nothing.
Curious about #Welsh? https://www.youtube.com/@JenXOfficialEDM Learn with us!

Skippy

Thanks, Kodemaster. I did go to the FAQ, but I didn't read that thread. It's nice to find out what it is.

Kodemaster

You're welcome. Glad I could help. :)
JenX
Choose empathy. It costs nothing.
Curious about #Welsh? https://www.youtube.com/@JenXOfficialEDM Learn with us!

kiwibonga

Quote from: Skippy on November 10, 2006, 04:47:08
But this happens before I've actually gone to sleep and started dreaming. I'm close to sleep, but I'm not quite there yet. Unless I've been mistaken, and I actually had been asleep, but didn't realise it.

That's when dreams start, though, during the hypnogogic phase.

Skippy

Quote from: kiwibonga on November 13, 2006, 03:05:39That's when dreams start, though, during the hypnogogic phase.

So we're not actually fully asleep when dreams start?

That's interesting; I didn't know that.

kiwibonga

Just this morning I created a dream as an exercise ; I had woken up naturally and I remained in bed with my eyes closed. I pictured myself getting up from bed, taking a shower, getting dressed, and walking outside. The images were not vivid at all in the beginning, I could see them, but they were about as faint as a memory visualization from the waking state. I was completely unable to stay in real time -- my brain just kept on thinking about the end result so I had to "rewind" several times to avoid teleporting.

After a while I was able to sustain the (hypnogogic) images, and much to my surprise, unexpected things started happening. A girl appeared out of nowhere and there was a X,Y axis floating in the middle of the hallway. She was plotting points on it and creating lines between them, drawing polygons. It was like a flat hologram that you could interact with just by touching it.

What started as me replaying memories of a typical morning (with some difficulty) became hypnogogic imagery strong enough for me to feel like I was seeing it with my own two eyes, and then it became a dream that was beyond my control. I moved in my bed a little, and "went back" into the dream. I commanded the girl to get out of my dream and so she walked away, and I was able to continue.

After experiencing things like that, there's no doubt in my mind that hypnogogic imagery is an intermediate state between visualizing and dreaming ; the progression is nearly seamless.

But of course, that's not the only time we dream during the night... Supposedly it works in cycles of ~90 minutes.

Skippy

That's really interesting, kiwibonga. All of you guys seem so much more experienced than I am.

Quote from: kiwibonga on November 14, 2006, 09:39:08But of course, that's not the only time we dream during the night... Supposedly it works in cycles of ~90 minutes.

Yes, I think I read about it somewhere. Apparently one stage is called the REM stage - I think it stands for "Rapid Eye Movement"? It also makes me think of the group REM.

kiwibonga

Yeah, pretty sure that's what they got the name from. :)

From a more esoteric standpoint, our consciousness is out of body during the whole night, doing "work" (varying from self-help to helping others, to energetic work that we can barely understand as humans) and comes back to "check on the physical" in cycles. Dreams are basically the brain's interpretation of the work that was done, which is completely different from the actual experience. With phasing and projection, you basically bring your physical consciousness out, so you perceive things in real time and there are far less distortions.

Skippy

Quote from: kiwibonga on November 14, 2006, 18:09:14Dreams are basically the brain's interpretation of the work that was done, which is completely different from the actual experience.

Although the interpretation is quite different, in the dreams where I've met dead people, have I actually really seen these dead people, even if what I've done and said in the dream isn't the same as what actually happened?

I haven't had many dreams where I've met dead people, but I have had a few (I've dreamt about Maurice Gibb and Andy Gibb a couple of times) and your post made me wonder if I'd left my body and actually met them for real, even though what I actually did may not have been the same as what I did in the dream.

kiwibonga

Astral experiences tend to create more questions than answers, but in time you will know.

It's a bit like writing Santa... Even if he doesn't exist, you still get presents, you know what I mean?

Skippy

I don't quite understand (sorry, I'm a bit slow.)

In your opinion, do you think that in these dreams, I did actually see these dead people (Maurice and Andy?) Although my actions may have been entitely different, in your opinion, do you think it's possible that I did actually see them? That my soul, or consciousness, travelled to them?

kiwibonga

If you remain in the mindset that a person is one entity in one place at one given time, then probably not...

But what is a person? It's an identity with characteristics, moods, memories, etc.. Even if the person does not consciously experience your visit, it does not mean that you have not visited them.

Let me give you an example... I visited my grandfather in my second OBE. I still don't know for sure if I did visit him or whether that was simply an illusion. But if I do visit him "for real" later on, and ask him "do you remember that time in March where I visited you? Was that really you or a dream?" ; the answer is not important, because the simple fact that I have this memory of visiting him means that it really happened, and most likely he knows about this visit, regardless of whether it was "really him" or an astral echo.

A thought towards a particular person always has an energetic effect ; even if you have "fake encounters," they are not necessarily a one way thing, they always reach their destination.

So the encounter may not be real, but its "energetic effect" is still valid. As usual, don't take your experiences at face value, but do not dismiss them as delusions or illusions either -- reality is only this strict in the physical, and that's not where deceased persons live!

Woah

I get this too about every other night. When it happens, don't open your eyes and just look. You should see an image, probably from a dream you were just entering. It's neat and kinda like hypnogogic images, because you see them as if your eyes are open, but they're behind your eyelids. I've been trying to use these images to phase / project to them. I've only tried about 8 times, but every time I can make the image clearer and last longer.