Breathing technique, confused

Previous topic - Next topic

SweP

Hello again, just need to bring up this topic...

Today I was talking with a professional masseur and he went into the topic on how to breath. He told me that "ALWAYS breath with your chest and not your stomach. Your lungs is not in your stomach but in your chest". That's the way he was reason. This confused me a lot because I have always heard and read I should breath "with my stomach".

Finally I took the conclusion, "Do what feels best for you and most relaxing". So what do you think about this?
OT: Do you feel any difference if you lay with the head pointing to north and skip too eat meat?

Bedeekin

For a start he's got it all wrong... if he is talking about good breathing.

Breath in through the nose filling your stomach (using your diaphragm) allowing your chest to rise last... breath out through your mouth releasing your chest first then your diaphragm.

This was the meditational breathing I was taught at Ninjutsu. It's also a basic all round breathing method.

But yes... Do what feels best for you.

"Do you feel any difference if you lay with the head pointing to north and skip too eat meat?"

Personally?

No

and

No

Xanth

Quote from: SweP on January 21, 2013, 16:48:00

Today I was talking with a professional masseur and he went into the topic on how to breath. He told me that "ALWAYS breath with your chest and not your stomach. Your lungs is not in your stomach but in your chest". That's the way he was reason. This confused me a lot because I have always heard and read I should breath "with my stomach".
Yeah... honestly?  You might want to stop going to this person... they really have no idea what they're talking about, and that would lead me to question their other skills.

QuoteFinally I took the conclusion, "Do what feels best for you and most relaxing". So what do you think about this?
Well, there actually *IS* a "correct" way to breath... and it is breathing through your stomach.  Have you ever watched a baby lie there and breath?

I posted on this very subject a long time ago...
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_consciousness/whats_your_rundown-t31463.0.html;msg256035#msg256035

QuoteOT: Do you feel any difference if you lay with the head pointing to north and skip too eat meat?
Direction is meaningless.  Everything is meaningless.  Just project.

roman67

Ya, the best way to breathing is through your stomach..

Bedeekin

using your mouth and nose... otherwise it could be very uncomfortable.  :lol:

Stookie_

Quote from: SweP on January 21, 2013, 16:48:00

Finally I took the conclusion, "Do what feels best for you and most relaxing". So what do you think about this?
OT: Do you feel any difference if you lay with the head pointing to north and skip too eat meat?

Different types of breathing works for different situations, like where you breath from, how large of breaths, how long you hold in or out, and the mental activity you're putting into it. To get into a trance state faster, it normally helps to take somewhat large breaths and hold each exhale for a bit, but don't hold at all on the inhale. While holding the exhale, remove every single thought, and while inhaling concentrate fully on the air coming into the lungs... feel them expand and fill up. If you do it right, you should get hypnogogic sensations in a very short period of time.

But to make it even simpler, all you have to do is take long slow breaths like you do when you're asleep and it will slow down your heart rate and get you into a relaxed state.

SweP

Quote from: Stookie_ on January 22, 2013, 11:57:32
Different types of breathing works for different situations, like where you breath from, how large of breaths, how long you hold in or out, and the mental activity you're putting into it. To get into a trance state faster, it normally helps to take somewhat large breaths and hold each exhale for a bit, but don't hold at all on the inhale. While holding the exhale, remove every single thought, and while inhaling concentrate fully on the air coming into the lungs... feel them expand and fill up. If you do it right, you should get hypnogogic sensations in a very short period of time.

But to make it even simpler, all you have to do is take long slow breaths like you do when you're asleep and it will slow down your heart rate and get you into a relaxed state.
Alright, I tried tonight when I was very very tierd to basicaly go the way I do when I normaly sleep but I did this on my back and after just a few minutes I started to shift back and forth between dream and deep relaxation (Just a minute or two, atleast felt like it but could be 10 also because the time passes very quickly). The thing was... I did remeber the time I was in the dream state after each switch but I was not aware when I was in it....

Lately when I do my meditation sessions I do not get the wierd feeling through my whole body was just the first time I ever tried meditation.

embrace

First off, your personal massager is wrong. Breathing with your stomach is deeper, hence your body gets more oxygen, which is better for your body. It is generally considered a healthier and fuller way to ingest oxygen, and is often used as a therapy for hyperventilation and anxiety disorders.

Note that some yoga and meditation traditions draw a clear distinction between diaphragmatic breathing on one side, and abdominal breathing or belly breathing on the other. Between these two, the more specific technique of abdominal breathing is said to be more beneficial.
Performing diaphragmatic breathing can be therapeutic, and with enough practice, can become your standard way of breathing.

The way you breathe won't affect your astral projections, though. Just make sure you're not breathing consciously when attempting to astral project. If you focus your attention on your body, it will not be able to fall asleep (meaning, get into the sleep paralysis state), which is essential for OOBE. Direct your attention away from your body natural processes and you'll get where you want to get. Don't focus on breathing, swallowing, blinking "with your eyes closed, " etc. Keep your attention where it belongs - in your mind. Focus on your thought process, not your body process.

Good luck!

Szaxx

Excellent post, it IS being able to let go of the physical easily.
That is where most learning find difficulty, doing this and staying aware is your ticket to the NP.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

SweP

Quote from: embrace on January 23, 2013, 21:25:45
First off, your personal massager is wrong. Breathing with your stomach is deeper, hence your body gets more oxygen, which is better for your body. It is generally considered a healthier and fuller way to ingest oxygen, and is often used as a therapy for hyperventilation and anxiety disorders.

Note that some yoga and meditation traditions draw a clear distinction between diaphragmatic breathing on one side, and abdominal breathing or belly breathing on the other. Between these two, the more specific technique of abdominal breathing is said to be more beneficial.
Performing diaphragmatic breathing can be therapeutic, and with enough practice, can become your standard way of breathing.

The way you breathe won't affect your astral projections, though. Just make sure you're not breathing consciously when attempting to astral project. If you focus your attention on your body, it will not be able to fall asleep (meaning, get into the sleep paralysis state), which is essential for OOBE. Direct your attention away from your body natural processes and you'll get where you want to get. Don't focus on breathing, swallowing, blinking "with your eyes closed, " etc. Keep your attention where it belongs - in your mind. Focus on your thought process, not your body process.

Good luck!
Good post as Szaxx said. I actually focus my mind on the breahting (counting) and the black space in front of my eyes.
Didn't know I should focus on my mental process and not my physical process thanks for a good tip :)