How do you remember not to move when waking up?

Previous topic - Next topic

Sp3ctral Sh4dow

Hey guys, I haven't posted as much because life's been getting busy but I can finally balance it now so i'm starting to practice aping more which I missed  :-D

I'm trying to phase by just waking up, not moving my body, then looking at the blobs behind my eyelids to hopefully astral travel or convert a LD into one. What's a good way to remember to not get out of bed when you wake up/remember to remain still?

Any tips i'm down to try it out and thanks for reading!
"If you fall, i got you." - The floor

Xanth

Well, it's not quite enough to simply wake up and not move.
I mean, yes, you could do that and hope to have some success... BUT, by far the best and most effective way is to wake up without opening your eyes or moving.

If you can do that, I can almost guarantee that you'll be back in the non-physical almost immediately.

As for HOW to remind yourself to wake up slowly like that... I've always done it by accident, usually while coming out of an experience already.
Maybe try wearing a sleep mask?  Or affirmations at night to remember to wake up slowly keeping your eyes closed and body still?

ThaomasOfGrey

I think its just a habit that is built with repetition and the momentum of consecutive mornings attempting it. You might start the ritual by making remembering your dreams the first thing you do each morning. As you get into that habit you will find you not only remember the dreams more easily but will become aware at the ends of them more often. As the "earlyness" of your awareness is moved back further you might reach the point of being able to control wakeup without opening your eyes.

Xanth

Selski

I can't add much to the excellent advice already given, but if it hasn't been mentioned in Xanth's article, waking up naturally (i.e. without the use of an alarm clock/radio) is also beneficial.

The one thing that you can do if you have started to think about waking life or even opened your eyes is to snuggle back down. Then try to remember your dreams. Recreate them in your mind. If you have no recall, then go through the people you know. It may be that one of them was in one of your nightly adventures and it will trigger a memory. I sometimes make my mind become elastic and 'reach' for dream memories. If you are only getting a vague memory of food (for instance), then imagine scenarios involving food such as restaurants, banquets, cooking, kitchens or even being on a hunger strike.

As you are doing this mental exercise, relax your body lower and lower and lower...eventually getting your mind to 'drop' as well.

With practice and patience, you'll soon be able to wake without moving/opening eyes. And your dream recall should dramatically improve. And if you get really good at it, you may find that you can re-enter a dream that you've already woken up from - that's pretty cool.  8-)
We all find nonsenses to believe in; it's part of being alive.