I believe I just had my first OBE. Here is my experience.

Previous topic - Next topic

RamU1016

I have lately been reading a book about haunted places around the world that also brushes on the topic of Astral Traveling.  I was intrigued by this subject so I decided to give the matter some further study.

I encountered a website and I can't remember if it was this one or another similar site where people were describing techniques for accomplishing Astral Travel or OBEs.  One person described a problem that the rest of his body would float up while his head could not seem to break free.  He eventually gave up.  Another discussion posting detailed reasons why people do not accomplish OBEs because of fear or improper techniques of breaking away from the body.  The writer of this particular post also described that intense vibrations often scared people away from completing the process.  She recommended that a person trying for an OBE try to "roll out" once this floating has occurred.

Two nights ago I decided to further my experiment by trying to initiate an OBE using some of the techniques discussed.  One by focusing on a spot on my ceiling and another to block out thought by listening to the high frequency pitch in my ear for several minutes.  Neither worked and I was ready to dismiss the entire phenomena of OBE.  In fact, after doing this in the prior afternoon my ears were ringing terribly later that night.  I definitely thought that I'd been had. That was...until this afternoon.

I was reading a book about the human genome and the relationship it has to proving the existence of God (The Language of God) when I became very groggy/sleepy.  I thought that I would lay down for a moment on my bed and get in a quick nap.  So I laid down on the bed with its disheveled sheets and comforter face down on my stomach.  I laid there for what only seemed a like few moments, not falling asleep but simply relaxing when I began to feel very light.  Then I felt as if my body was trembling, not internally, but as if there was a war going on between my body and gravity.  Soon, I could feel all tension release from my shoulders to my toes and my body began to rise save for my head which seemed anchored to the pillow. I WAS NOT ASLEEP!  I became very scared but remembered in that instance the posting I had read regarding this problem and realized that this was the beginning of an OBE.  I did not try to force my head to move but rather just tried to remain calm.  Then the vibrations came.  First like a slight shudder, then violent and jerky, and my face rose to see my headboard.  I was extremely frightened but again, I remembered that the posting said this was a normal experience.  The vibrations grew even stronger and were accompanied by broken, jagged, strings of light. I cannot stress to you who read this how very lucid, very real this was.  Then the vibrations stopped.  As if a string had been let go on a balloon, I rose in my face down position from the bed and I could feel everything including a tickle in my stomach like what one experiences when going down a steep hill.  I could see everything in my room from a perspective I have never experienced.

I could not gain control of my movements and I remained hovering about 5 or 6 feet above my bed.  It was terrifying and wonderfully exciting at the same time.  Then I noticed that my bathroom and the hallway in my bedroom that it connected to seemed to melt away.  In its place, formed a smoky, grayish void.  I frantically called out to the void that I wanted to see my spirit guide.  I may have jumped the gun but I did not know how long this experience was to last.  Then in a very clear voice that was reaching me from just beyond this void a middle-aged woman's voice asked, "Who do you want to see?" I was confused by this, I thought from what I read that a "familiar spiritual guide" was supposed to greet me...this was not it.  As I hovered there, I seemed to lose focus and tried remember the advice from the postings.  One had said that if you are unsure who to call on ask for God or holy figure.  In hindsight, I would have said this but all I could seem mutter was that I want to see a Christian.  Not a Christian guide, just a Christian.  Then, as if playing through a PA system, I heard the voice like a televangelist delivering a fiery sermon to an impassioned crowd.  I then got the distinct feeling that whoever this voice was that responded to me was mocking me by playing this sound.  I then begged to see my grandpa Teddy and then my grandma Olga but this presence did not leave.  All of a sudden I began being forcefully pulled back towards my bed and I was fighting to stay afloat.  It was no use, I was sucked in to the bed but when I awoke, I was not in my bedroom.

The place I went was filled with hundreds people, all chit chatting; no one seemed unhappy or tired.  It was bright in there, and there was daylight coming in from a small atrium behind some floor-to-ceiling glass panels.  This place was not nirvana, not hell, not heaven, but had the look of an average airport terminal.  I walked through this place confused and with full physical awareness.  I tried to pinch myself to wake up.  I could feel the sensation of touch but no pain.  I could feel the tiled floor underneath my feet, move all my toes, and feel a breeze as I walked.  Then I was noticed by a blond girl in her late teens, and also by this kind of awkward young guy with black curly hair.  They seemed like a intimate couple.  They were both smiling and talking and invited me to sit with them.  Honestly, they were a bit annoying to sit between and talked about nothing related to why they were there or what they were waiting for.  I was nervous that I would wait they forever.  I rose to my feet to call out again my for my spirit guide.  "I DEMAND TO SEE MY GUIDE!" "I DEMAND TO SEE MY GUIDE!" The young couple were startled by this and asked in a calm, but concerned tone, "Who is your guide?" I then started walking backwards and leaned against a black granite wall and tried to get a hold of myself.  Then, the wall next to me began opening up like to a secret, dimly lit room.  The couple approached me and told me to go in, "You should go in, this never happens.  That room never opens up."  I was afraid to enter and hesitated to walk through the opening.  Then the door began to close until it was too small to go through.  I then banged my fists against the wall begging that the door open again.  It did on command.  "Your not supposed to be here." The blond girl said to me.  I walked through the door and it calmly closed behind me. 

The inside of this softly lit room was very basic, some light toned carpet and a comfortable looking white leather office chair (no, this is not my taste in furniture).  In the right hand corner, a table and another chair of the same sort rose out of the floor.  The only difference between this chair the other was that it had some sort of metallic apparatus attached to it.  Then, some kind male voice that seemed to come out of nowhere directed me to sit in the first chair.  I did not see a figure, I just heard the voice.  I sat in the chair and a restraint device gently wrapped around my arms and neck.  It was not uncomfortable, I somehow knew the restraints were there to make me feel safe, not trapped.  The voice told me not to be afraid and stated to me that whoever I had encountered after floating above my bed had brought me to this place that I was not supposed to be.  The male voice communicated this to me with a sense of mild annoyance that one would compare to a boss discovering a minor office prank.  He told me to relax and fall asleep. 

I awoke on my floor, in sleep paralysis, to the feeling being dropped out of thin air.  I tried to focus on moving my toes and then POOF! I was back and awake in my room.  I was groggy for a mere moment and then I felt refreshed as if I had slept for an entire week.  Colors were more vibrant, my vision was sharper and I felt great.  I looked at my clock next to the bed.  Only 40 minutes had gone by in what felt like several hours.

I can attest to you that everything I have written here is exactly as it happened.  I did not wait to write this down, I simply ran to the computer to document the experience on this discussion board.  As time is passing I am getting that nagging question in my mind, "Did this really just happen?"  Can someone give me some insight in to this experience.  I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks

iNNERvOYAGER

Very nice account of an encouraging experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Just curious, do you think that emotion helps or hinders being able to negotiate the environments you experienced?

And, in the large room of people, how did you move, by walking or by floating along?

RamU1016

I do not think that all emotions effect your ability to negotiate these environments, just certain specific ones.  In my case, this was a brand new experience with which it is hard to compare anything so obviously I was very nervous most of the time.  I'm sure that fear held me back from being able to fully realize the abilities I had at my disposal (i.e. controlling where I went, freely exploring).  If you ever are able to get into an OBE, no matter what happens, just try to focus and stay calm.  Fear or tension will limit you if not send you back to the ground entirely. 

From what I have read on the subject, I now know that you are not always greeted by a guide.  This probably happens when you enter an OBE unexpectedly as I did.  Sometimes the spirits, entities, whatever you may call them are not nice or are mischievous.  If you get that feeling, tell them to go away and try to ask for someone else.  If they leave they probably benevolent, if not, try to wake up.

In the large room I moved by thought but it did not require effort like walking.  Strangely though, when I was stationary I was aware of all terrestrial physical sensations (i.e. the tile under my feet).  I hope this helps, I'm definitely not a pro yet, just lucky.  Write me back if you have any more questions.

Novice

I think you started out as a typical OBE -- physical body seperation. But then you describe a void or hole open up. When phasing, I perceive the blackness opening up in front of me to appear like a long tunnel. I'm not positive this is what you experienced, as you describe it as grey and I've never heard anyone else describe it as anything but black. Regardless, you basically phased from an OBE (etheric zone => semi-transparent environment, floating movements) to a different area I call the astral for lack of a better word. I don't like that word, but its a common one. The feel between these two places is quite distinct to me, which is why I use different words to describe them.

In the astral, I perceive a body sometimes, but only when I look for it. I move by walking. There is no sense of floating, like in the etheric, unless I intentionally focus on doing so. Unlike the etheric there are colors and places feel more solid to the touch. Also, you will feel a touch sensation, but you will not feel pain...at least I never do.

You perceived the place you were in as a type of air terminal. Typically, when your consciousness is outside the physical realm, you interpret your surroundings based on things that seem similar to you so that you can understand them. An airport terminal is a place where people go to be transported somewhere else. This was probably some type of transition area, so that's why you interpretated it as an airport.

The office you desribed had me smiling. A few times I went to my guide, unannounced, and found her in an office. There were two chairs, a desk, even some shelves with picture frames! I was amazed. I never would have guessed a guide would have/need an office. But again, this is how my mind interpreted the surroundings. It was the closest association I had in my memore to link to the environment.

Overall, excellent description, great memory recall -- it's amazing how clear and easy it is to remember these experiences when your awareness is high.

Congrats!
Reality is what you perceive it to be.

Woodland

That was pretty amazing. My question is where do you think you were.
Did you have any impressions as of where you may have been when they said you're not suppose to be here?
Could those people in the terminal have been people who have recently passed on, or do you think they were
projectiles?

Sisyphus

Quote from: RamU1016 on October 10, 2007, 17:40:06
<snip>

Well that was amazing,  it inspired me to register.  It was just dumbfounding really.  Well done!!!  I am a bit puzzled how this mischevious or malevolent figure who you first met in your bedroom was able to transport you to another place entirely against your will.  Quite disturbing.  But your whole experience.... just WOW!
Did you have time to examine your "body" or see if there was any cord attached to it or anything?  Did you have different knowledge?  That is, you seemed to know that the mischevious presence was deceiving you?
Did you think about what was happening to you during the time away - or did it feel that you were instinctively doing things e.g. out of fear etc  Were you relaxed?  Were your vision and hearing the same as in the physical?

Ive been interested in OBES/Astral Projection on and off since i was in my teens really (well before that even)

Basically i had a short but very painful OBE  when i was a child.  Just going to the dentist's to get teeth out.  I was 5 years old - i was given gas to put me to sleep but i had a reaction to it or something.  Its difficult to describe but it felt like i was squeezed out of my body.  (hold a hairbrush in your hand now use 2 fingers to squeeze or push up each side to the top - it felt like that) The sensation of being squeezed out started at my feet then made its way up to my chest - i should add that this was either extremely painful or just the most horrible sensation i have felt ever.  It made its way to my chest then when it reached my upper chest/heart area i seemed to be outside up at the ceiling.  I know i was at the ceiling because 2 people were leaning over me.  But anyway thats all i remember - but i was the most frightening experience ive ever had. 

Ive had some nightmares through the years (not for a long time now though) that made me think that i am being attacked and have been pretty scary but not the same as this. 

The curious thing is - i would have dismissed this as just a bad dream or forgotten about it long ago if it wasnt for the pain heh oh well ironic.  I think Fear is a big factor which stops me getting further.   Sometimes i feel i can tell if there is someone in the room at night.  Yesterday i was trying out a couple of binaural beat rythms for meditation.  I fell asleep 20 minutes afterwards.  (at 2am)  woke up 2 hours later in a very afraid state of mind - i was absolutely convinced that a malevolent? presence was there - i started talking to myself (re-assuring myself etc) and switched on the radio just to try to get rid of the overpowering feeling of the presence nearby.  I certainly didnt want to go to sleep.

Sorry to go off topic there.

star travla

I can't wait until I have my first OBE it seems so cool. Most of my friends aren't into this stuff like me

SilverSlider

Interesting experience, Ram...it's great when you remember every piece.

It seems weird to me, though, that you would wind up being in a place where you're not supposed to be, you know? It's not like you tried to really go *anywhere* during this. Maybe it's just a way of your fear manifesting in or being projected onto characters you encounter. If that's true then I wonder if the terminal was full of different people as aspects of yourself.