Jerking When Attempting To AP

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob29

Hello:

I wanted to see if I can get different views on this subject.  I am able to get myself in a trance but my body does a major "jerking" movement and I am afraid it will wake my wife but it doesn't.  Now, one time when I got that same "jerk" she did wake up and asked me what I was doing.  I really couldn't say what I was doing because even I didn't know what was happening :?  This last time when it happened, she didn't wake up so I assumed it had something to do with the trance or she was in a deep sleep. 

Could anyone please share if they had similar experiences and if so, how do you control the "jerking" feeling while in a trance?

Much Thanks!

Bedeekin

There have been so many crazy things seemingly happen when I am in the trance state. Jerking movements being one of them... Spinning... rocking... etc

From past experience whatever is experienced during SP/Trance/VS (so many terms for the same thing) doesn't translate to anyone next to us. Not in my experience anyway.

Kathryn has been awake next to me on many occasions and the worst that has happened during the state is my breathing changes and I might hold my breath or my eyes half open. Even when I was thrashing around from my point of view, from her point of view this was unseen and I was just lying there silent and still.

As for hynogogic/pompic jerks and twitching... don't worry about them or obsess too much. These are just things most people encounter when getting deep into their consciousness.

When she woke up did you ask HER what woke her up... like what did she say you did?

Lionheart

Yep, I get hypno-jerks and body spasms all the time. Just observe them and stay the course!  :-)

Never attempt to control them, that would definitely end your NPR experience.

Just observe and get back to your intended goal!  :-)

Rob29

Bedeekin - By the time the major jerking motion happened, she quickly turned to me and just simply asked "What are you doing?".   I didn't know how to answer but simply told her it was a muscle spasm.  I have been finding the jerking motion became more severe that the last one I had seemed to jerk my entire body but oddly enough, it didn't disturb my wife when I was sure it would.  All I know is it scared the crap out me.

Szaxx

They are part of the deal. Sometimes none others a few and they feel really strong at times. Imagine being hit by a van on a fast road. Thats a big jump and it can snap you out of your attempt.
Laugh at it and try again.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

M4RT1N

At first i thought you meant jerking off when attempting to AP  :lol: but i get that too my entire body just jumps up into the air, i have no idea why that happens, maybe its because i lose concentration ?

Astralsuzy

Quote from: M4RT1N on January 19, 2013, 18:15:26
At first i thought you meant jerking off when attempting to AP  :lol: but i get that too my entire body just jumps up into the air, i have no idea why that happens, maybe its because i lose concentration ?
I do not think you loose concentration.  I think it happens to a lot of people.  I think it is normal that it happens.

M4RT1N

Quote from: Astralsuzy on January 19, 2013, 20:27:29
I do not think you loose concentration.  I think it happens to a lot of people.  I think it is normal that it happens.

but why ? it only happens when trying to AP.

Bedeekin

I think Astralsuzy means it happens to a lot of people when trying to AP. This is true.

There are so many things that happen on the borderline of sleep... it's only natural that when you are in the process of consciously transgressing to a state that is normally undertaken while unconscious you will feel all manner of strange things.

It's so common it has a name... the hypnic jerk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

Szaxx

Sylvan Muldoon referred to it as a repercussion, when the spirit body gets snatched back into the physical. I read this in 1975 so I dont quote the wording precisely.
Robert Bruce and Brian Mercer actually called it a jerk in 2004 in their co-authored book  Mastering Astral Projection.
As Bedeekin and others have experienced, its common.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Astralsuzy

Jerking can happen when you are trying to ap, meditating or trying to sleep.  My husband does not believe in ap.  Occasionally when he is trying to get to sleep, he jerks.  He said it is normal for it to happen.

M4RT1N

Quote from: Astralsuzy on January 20, 2013, 15:35:15
My husband does not believe in ap.

it's possible to go into peoples dreams while out of body, you should do that and scare him.

Astralsuzy

Quote from: M4RT1N on January 20, 2013, 15:46:51
it's possible to go into peoples dreams while out of body, you should do that and scare him.
I am not that good at ap when I am out of my body,    I find it hard to go where I want to go to then I think I am very aware but later on I realise I was not that aware.  I did not take note of the scenery or what I was looking at.  That is how it has been lately.  I have to improve those things.  When I get really good at it I might just do what you suggested.

Bedeekin

justin35ll

I get this a lot, I thought it was just me.. Sometimes they are severe and my whole body jerks or my arms or legs shoot up. Other times not as much.
I always thought it had to do with me starting to see imagery and my body reacting to them

Lionheart

What I find more irritating than the hypno jerks is when I have to take a big breath of air right in the middle of shifting.

Like with everything else that occurs during shifting, I just learned to observe it and carry on!  :-)

Rob29

Is there any possible way to avoid or induce a state where the hypnotic jerks aren't as frequent or not as severe?

Lionheart

Quote from: Rob29 on January 20, 2013, 23:50:52
Is there any possible way to avoid or induce a state where the hypnotic jerks aren't as frequent or not as severe?
I would say the only way you could is by Lucid Dreaming, instead of consciously APing.

Like I said though, it gets better with practice. You may still have the hypno jerks, but at least you know to just observe them and stay the course.

The reason they can be so severe is because they catch you off guard. But if you totally surrender to the process of AP, then they aren't a problem any more. :-)

13thrisingtruths

the last two days while trying to ap i have been jerking a hand or a leg will just fly up, and complete distract me. i suppose one would just let it go but i could get use to it if it would keep on doing it but it just comes out of the blue. I am wondering if this is a sign that i am truly close to conscious projection. 
just my opinion on the issue to me it is fact to you it is only a possibility? just saying think about it.

justin35ll

I feel like sometimes it can help me because once the jerk comes, it brings my awareness back to what I was supposed to be doing. Sometimes my mind will wander into sleep or a dream

Lionheart

Quote from: justin35ll on January 21, 2013, 17:42:56
I feel like sometimes it can help me because once the jerk comes, it brings my awareness back to what I was supposed to be doing. Sometimes my mind will wander into sleep or a dream
Actually Justin you are right here. The only time I feel the hypno jerk or deep breath scenario, is when I am so deep that I start to fade into sleep. It immediately brings my mind back to the current task.

Possibly this is a blessing in disguise!  :-)

M4RT1N

Quote from: Lionheart on January 21, 2013, 17:55:04
Actually Justin you are right here. The only time I feel the hypno jerk or deep breath scenario, is when I am so deep that I start to fade into sleep. It immediately brings my mind back to the current task.

Possibly this is a blessing in disguise!  :-)

exactly, it only happens when i loose concentration and start going into a dream, but every time it happens to me it just makes my entire body jump and i have to start again.

Lionheart

Quote from: M4RT1N on January 22, 2013, 03:03:23
exactly, it only happens when i loose concentration and start going into a dream, but every time it happens to me it just makes my entire body jump and i have to start again.
That's a good thing! 

If you go into a dream you will likely awaken in the morning, with no recall at all.

You don't have to start EVERYTHING again if you don't let it bother you. Just observe what happened (which is pretty hard not to) and then just stay the course.

Lionheart

One last question I have on this topic.

Does anyone here experience a sharp pain the chest area while deep in an attempt/session?

I ask this because once in awhile I will be about an hour into a good meditative state and then I get a sharp piercing sensation, like being stabbed in the heart. It is very short lived, just a quick pierce, but is very hard to ignore! :-(

This is the only time that I ever experience this sensation.

Stookie_

Quote from: Lionheart on January 24, 2013, 20:58:04
One last question I have on this topic.

Does anyone here experience a sharp pain the chest area while deep in an attempt/session?

I ask this because once in awhile I will be about an hour into a good meditative state and then I get a sharp piercing sensation, like being stabbed in the heart. It is very short lived, just a quick pierce, but is very hard to ignore! :-(

This is the only time that I ever experience this sensation.

I've had something similar happen 2 or 3 times, always during a long meditation, but not necessarily short lived - the first time my chest hurt for 2 days afterwards (this was like 12 or more years ago). I can't explain it and it doesn't happen anymore.