last nights ex:seemed to meet Selski, Telos & Frank

Previous topic - Next topic

Gandalf

Last night's experience i found more significant than usual as i actually felt the process of my awareness expanding in some detail.. upon focusing on this I was able to get fleeting glimpses of what I felt were 'other aspects of me' in different situations, some of which they looked quite similar to me, and in others were they looked quite different physically.
It was as if i was able to expand my awareness into theirs for a fleeting moment, but it was only that... i didnt have any time to explore these areas, it was more like a quick sample..

Anyway the next thing was. i pushed my awereness wider and then i started getting fleeting glimpses of other people although i cant remember any physical features about them, but they had names associated with them... the 'labels' attatched to them appeared to be Frank, Selski and Telos! I briefly conversed with them but i dont think there was any definate contact on their part.. it was more like I caught a glimpse of them and recognised them via their names on this forum.. odd especially since i hadnt been thinking about them at all (sorry guys hehe)..

After that I appeared in the RTZ and conducted a quick flyover of my surounding area... something i seem to engage in at random these days.

Doug
"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilisation." -- Voltaire.

Frank

Doug:

This is brilliant!

What you are doing is allowing yourself to widen your focus (that's the expanding sensation) which is presenting the opportunity for you to merge with other aspects of your personality or Self. At first, yes, it tends to be fleeting. But if you keep working on trying to develop the control (again it's all down to having that control) then you will be able to merge with another focus for, in objective terms, what would seem like, perhaps, 5 or 10 minutes rather than split seconds.

I have no recollection of your contact but you could quite easily have been connecting with some other aspect of myself. Funny how the three of us should come into it, though. Maybe Selski and I are Telos's spiritual parents? He he, now, question is, did he get his brains from Selski and his sensitive side from me, or was it the other way around? LOL

Anyhow, like I say, just brilliant. I mean it, seriously, that's just bang on. Keep following that road because down there is where you find the fun stuff.

Yours,
Frank

Selski

Douglas

That's quite something, considering I thought we were conversing in America about television programmes a couple of weeks ago...

Unfortunately, I was busy last night trying to avoid a very ferocious guard dog who seemed intent on getting its teeth into someone...

I can't wait for Telos's response...   :lol:

Frank - he sure as hell didn't get his brains from me!!  :wink:

Sarah
We all find nonsenses to believe in; it's part of being alive.

Gandalf

Frank: Cheers mate, Yeah.. this seems to be the way to go!

Selski! Hey, you are right.. isnt it odd that you had that dream encounter with me a couple of weeks before! That could have been me and I dont remember, or maybe it was another aspect of me (someone who likes to talk about US tv shows haha).

I was just thinking about this idea of 'alternate selves' and universes today and its interesting that scientists themselves are coming round to this idea, with their theories of quantum mechanics predicting that there are an infinate number of alternate universes, indeed they postulate that every time we make a decision, we create yet another universe as every choice is acted out in some universe or another. This quantum theory seems to hit the mark at least in some way with regards to expanded awareness, although they don't appear to be aware of the concept that all these alternate selves are part of each other.

I was also thinking that this idea may go some way to explaining those scenarios where you meet someone you know while being 'out' and converse with them in a big way, only to 'wake up' and find that the individual in question knows nothing about it.
This could be for various reasons, it may have indeed been the same individual but they just dont remember, or it may often be the case that you end up talking with another aspect of that person, as may have occured with me last night.... that other aspect may be living in our timeframe right now in another location, or it maybe someone in a completly different universe..

Of course this means that attempts to verify encounters in an objective sense for sceptics is even more difficult, and emphasises even more the need to get out there and explore for oneself rather than looking for objective evidence, which will always be unconvincing to those who have'nt had any hands on experience.

Doug

Telos

The one night out of the week, I chose yesterday to not do any dream journaling and get a good night's rest before going back to school.

However, I am wearing my blue Scotland rugby jersey! [Edit: and in all my international economics courses, no one wished me Happy Burns night ;)]

Frank

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Oh, and slightly off-topic but all the best with your new approach re: your education. Sounds like I can uncross all my fingers and toes now. I reckon you made the right choice, you are too clever to flunk it. Guys like you go on to make a name for themselves. But not yet, all that comes later.

Yours,
Frank

Telos

Thank you, Frank. Believe it or not, that thought helps keep me going.

Gandalf, my mind really has been on Scotland, lately, especially with regard to David Hume - his emphasis that philosophy should be empirically built upon experience, that reason should serve emotional growth, and his objections to old theories of economics (he criticized nations who always tried to export more than they imported).

He was also mentioned in "The Science of Getting Rich," (shared over in another thread) as one of the only authors one should read during the process of accumulating wealth.

I just checked that thread again. The download link to TSOGR is no longer up, probably because it was just for people who had purchased the book. However, it was originally published in 1910, making is exactly 95 years old, the age where copyrighted texts enter the public domain. I'm going to do a little more research, and then see if I can reproduce it on Wikibooks for everyone to read.

[Edit: Wait a minute, it's already there!. It just needs someone to fill in the pages. I'll get started.]

[Yet another edit: Nevermind, the author never mentioned Hume in the first place (instead he mentioned Hegel, Spinoza, Leibnitz, Schopenhauer, Descartes, and Emerson). What a motley bunch that is.]

Oh, and by the way, I'm honored to be related to Frank and Selski ;)

Gandalf

Telos_
Yeah David Hume is one of the greats, I guess him and Adam Smith must be two of our greatest contributions (or curse, if you are an anti-capitalist protester  :wink: ), glad to hear about the rugby shirt, I've got one too, although I said i wouldnt wear it again unti they started playing better haha

Its a pity you didnt have your dream journal for that night, as perhaps we could have compared; never mind, next time!  Despite what i said about the doubts of ever establishing objective proof for the 'wider reality' than the physical, i still think its worth spending more time looking for it, just in case we can find something that people can accept.

btw can I just say go with the college work too, I know where you are coming from with this as I am dissillusioned with the 'meat grinder' as well, but I figure I have spent so long at it, I might as well see it to the end, also maybe i can bring down the system from within hehe

Major Tom_
I will get back to you with more details, but i need to sleep just now, my minds gone, apologies (3:00am here).

Doug

Telos

Adam Smith was Scottish?? How could I have not realized that!

I've probably read more of him than any other historical figure while in school. That's probably why I never paid attention to the details of his life - he's just that ubiquitous.

No, I'm not a protestor. In fact, I really am in awe by the possibilities suggested by Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand" doctrine, to the point where I meditate on it as a spiritual exercise. In Business Ethics, I got the weirdest look by my professor (an Orthodox Jew) when I suggested that the "Invisible Hand" theory was spiritual, just after he declared that it wasn't.

Gandalf

Telos_ yeah.. i believe he's buried in Kirkaldy... we actually get a lot of American's coming over on a 'pilgrimage' if that the right word  :wink:

Yeah, I have heard about 'the invisible' hand' concept; also he established the concept of 'free trade' did he not? sorry, I'm not well up on economics theory, all i remember is that Adam Smith's 'Wealth of Nations' is to economics, kind of like what Newton's 'Principia' is to physics.

The reason i brought it up was that I heard that Adam Smith was influenced by David Hume in some of his ideas, although I don't know the details of how this is the case.

btw this is kind of freaky but guess what, I had a dream last night that I was talking to you once more; i can't remember what you look like so I can't use this as verification, but you were sure coming out with interesting things!

You were talking about how you were into traditional Scottish folk music; fisherman's songs to be more accurate, and/or you were into sailing or using traditional scottish fishermen's techniques for sailing.
This is as close as i can get it to what I remember.

Again, this sounds really far out and I can't really see how you would be into such things!
Maybe: its my own projections, and this is my own scenario, but I'm not into traditional scottish fishing hehe
or, maybe its 'another' you, ie another 'aspect' if we go with that idea.
or, it actually IS you and you are into that, which would suprise me.

Odd isnt it?

PS Major Tom_

With regards to your earlier question about expanding awareness.. its kind of hard to describe actually, but a lot easier to experience!
I am usually lying there, just waking up, so my mind is still only half focused on the physical.. but, instead of concentrating and focusing away on some specific location, I instead push my awareness outwards; kind of hard to explain, but i focused on my own narrow band of awareness and everything I could perceive with it, then I started to widen it... push the envelope as it were.. if you focus on this you can actually begin to feel your awareness expanding beyond the narrow focus you are used to in everyday life. Thats what it felt like to me certainly.. then you will start to get fleeting images and sensations of things and people, sometimes first person, sometimes third... sometimes a mixture of both... more of a sensation really... you actually feel yourself becoming these people. At this stage its still *very* early stages and I'm only getting fleeting glimpses, nothing more.

Give it a try and see how you get on.. then maybe we can compare with our experiences.

Doug

Telos

Quote from: GandalfYou were talking about how you were into traditional Scottish folk music; fisherman's songs to be more accurate, and/or you were into sailing or using traditional scottish fishermen's techniques for sailing.

Odd, isn't it?

Hmm, that is odd. I'm not into any of that stuff, presently, but then I'm not averse to it either. I've just never been exposed to any of it. Honestly, it does sound like something I'd be interested in. You know, it's old, foreign, and obscure - and something I wouldn't be chided for in that particular country, since no one's interested in it that much anyway.

I journalized all last night, but no lucidity. My skills are definitely rotting. I think it's because my dreams are so boring :/ But I intend to fix that.

Yeah, I'll definitely read more Smith and Hume. I'll probably make a "pilgrimage" myself, one day, if not to eat some domestic shortbread.

FreeChile

Hey Telos, have you located the books by Ludwig Josef Johann Wittgenstein on-line.  Are they on the Wiki?  

I found some Bertrand Russell, one of his teachers, but no actual books on him yet.

I've read some reviews of Wittgenstein on-line but not the actual source.  It seems to me that he blows it all away.

Thanks.

Telos

FreeChile, I sent you a pm on Wittgenstein. We shouldn't let this thread go too far off-topic. (Maybe we should start some posts in Integral Philosophy?)

Gandalf

ok guys, well I'll give this 'expanded awareness' thing a go again tonight and we'll see how it goes, get the journals warmed up!

Even if we dont get any results in the short term, I'm sure this is the best way to go in this area, ie keeping and comparing journals: seems like a good practice to adopt.

Doug

FreeChile

Telos, thank you for the link.  I understand the musings on philosophy on this post was casual.  

I myself am just beginning to look into various philosophical arguments and thus am not ready

for in dept discussions yet.  Although I admit I am very tempted to start which is probably part

of the reason why I mentioned Wittgenstein.  The people I have been exposed to are Kant, Hegel,

Webber, Hume, and many others.  However, I am now starting to look at thinkers from the 20th

century like Wittgenstein and Russell among some spiritual ones like Papaji, J and UG

Krishnamurti's, etc.

I was more interested in the link than anything else at this point.  Even though I am interested

in philosophy, as well.

Again, many thanks.

Mendel

Timing is everything. Just this week, in another forum, a group
of my spiritual travelling friends have gotten excited by the idea to meeting up in the spirit... to get some objective validations... not that any
of these people have any questions as to the overall validity of their
experiences and beliefs. I think the benefits of
 linking up of people in spirit are far more than validations. I'm thinking
there may be some interesting ideas and plans being crafted up by our higher-ups.
I like the idea of requesting "expanded awareness" Seems like a good
idea to find out who we're naturally connected to, amongst other effects.
-mike