Longest meditation time

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdeadevil

What's the longest time it's taken for someone to meditate to project? I'm just wondering how much time I need to take out of my day to do it. I used an Isochronic Tone from the Unexplainable Store but by the end of that which was half an hour, I couldn't feel my arms my legs were starting to go a little numb.

Lionheart

Arms and legs going numb is a great sign. I find that the Binaural Beats/Isochronic Tones are great for quieting the mind. I normally use them for that purpose, then project when they are done. At first when I began projecting it could take up to 2-2 and a half hours before I would be successful. This was due to the "one foot forward, 2 steps back scenarios". I would have vibrations and be about to exit, then I would feel a body twitch or my physical eyes would open, something that would put me back to the start again. It was really frustrating at first, but I stayed the course.
Good Luck!  :-)

Xanth

Quote from: Jdeadevil on May 14, 2012, 20:17:25
What's the longest time it's taken for someone to meditate to project? I'm just wondering how much time I need to take out of my day to do it. I used an Isochronic Tone from the Unexplainable Store but by the end of that which was half an hour, I couldn't feel my arms my legs were starting to go a little numb.
It's unique to each individual.  So how long it takes a random sampling of people is meaningless for *you*.
It depends highly upon how well you can focus and how long you can hold that focus for.

You'd be surprised, but the average individual can't hold their focus for more than a few seconds before losing it.  This is the trouble of the western mind... always flittering here and there.

From what you're describing, you're doing well.  Just continue to hold your focus away from your physical body and five senses and you should begin to feel more strange things.  ;)

Stillwater

When you setout to meditate for long periods of time, you will be faced with many unexpected obstacles... staying still in one posture for that long is a different ballgame, I can assure it.

People today are fond of saying that the position you meditate in doesn't matter (this is maybe half true), but for long term sessions, it is essential. It takes alot of physical stength and endurance to hold your body in a posture that won't cause you to feel pain or incredibly distracting sores after 4 hours, and to not tire in the process. When people think of yoga, they think of Hatha yoga, which is the discipline that focuses on flexibility and holding postures which build static muscle strength. What westerners don't generally know is that Hatha yoga is designed to build enough strength and flexibility to practice one of the 7 other yogas, which all mostly center around meditation.

I am a pretty fit person and remarkably flexible (I can hike about 45 miles in a day, and I can stand on the ground with my legs straight, and put by palms on the floor and stay that way indefinitely); that said, I still find it physically challenging to sit in meditation for more than 4 hours without getting pain in my bottom unless I am postured just right. The people who can do that best are the people that do it all day everyday (monks, Sadhus, etc).

So if your goal is to meditate long enough to project, be prepared to "train" for it  :wink:
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Stookie_

I used to have problems with my head tilting at times and not keeping my back straight, but with enough practice and the proper position, the body can hold it's position for long periods of time without having to consider it. It's just practice and repetition. Years of practice and repetition.

The better you get, the quicker you can enter trance, the quicker you can access the astral, and the shorter your meditations will have to be.

Jdeadevil

Thanks for the replies guys. I meditated this morning, and I managed to get to a stage where energy was rushing through my body, and then went a bit silent. But, then my eyes started to get really uncomfortable and wanted to open, I have no idea why

Lionheart

Quote from: Jdeadevil on May 15, 2012, 18:51:49
Thanks for the replies guys. I meditated this morning, and I managed to get to a stage where energy was rushing through my body, and then went a bit silent. But, then my eyes started to get really uncomfortable and wanted to open, I have no idea why
I used to have this problem too. I would be well into the vibrational stage, then everything goes quiet and my physical eyes would open for some reason. It was irritating. I solved the problem by using a cherry pit "eye pillow". I heat the eye pillow for 30 seconds, that gets it just warm enough to relax my eyes muscles, but the real help comes when it blocks out all light and fixes another problem I was having earlier in my development, which was seeing light flashes and not knowing whether this was being seen with my physical eyes or Astral vision. I put my eye pillow on, then I try to open my physical eyes to get used to that feeling and also confirm to myself that I can see no light whatsoever. So, that any light I see for now on will be from the Astral. I find it important to do these reality checks, they reinforce that you are really seeing something. The eye pillow is just another tool, but it really works wonders.  :-)