Lost control of lucid dream / strange turn

Previous topic - Next topic

Astral Potato

I just had this last night and thought I would share.

I have been doing a lot of energy work through the days and then every night and then again in the morning, I have been listening to guided astral projection meditations. This has actually given me a few lucid dreams, but unfortunately no OBE yet that I remember.

The dream started as a concert type event where I was just having a good time. This is where it started to become lucid and the music/party theme changed to a song I knew, tonight alive: lonely girl and into a foam party. Strangely the band was all male,but female vocals, and it now looked like a party from a hangover movie. This is the song if anyone is interested :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrkfkwzChoM

I started to think of the lyrics, then suddenly I am in what looked like a dark old fashioned jazz bar which was crowded with people (leather seats in the dark), but no music was playing. At this point I noticed a woman sitting to the side of me. She immediately drew my full attention, I just felt a strange attraction when I looked at her and it was like I couldn't take my eyes off her, but when I looked at her I already knew that I was doing something wrong, so I started to curiously look at her while half leaning my head on the chair. She then appeared amused as she smiled towards me as if it was natural, at that point I felt like everyone was now paying attention to me. This was when I panicked on what to do. I felt like I had been caught red handed doing something I shouldn't. I close my eyes and begin "pretending to be sleep" mode, so that everyone's response would be "He wasn't doing that, he was just sleeping with his head turned in that direction." However at this point it felt like I had fully lost control of the dream as nothing was going the way I wanted and I could feel the attention on me. I then heard a voice say my name into my ear, when I didn't respond the voice said "[my name], are you really just going to pretend to sleep?"  [END]  Shortly after the voice called my name the second time, I woke up with a jolt.

So anyone have an interpretation of this which might help me figure it out?

I actually woke up feeling embarrassed and confused. Part of me thinks that my mind is trying to tell me something. Another part of me thinks it was my mind letting out the crazy. I think the strangest thing for me was the voice calling me out on "pretending to be asleep". It is probably the first time I have been called out in my dream, and called by name. Plus I lost complete control of the dream.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

Astral Potato

Quote from: Astral Potato on May 09, 2017, 02:56:25
I just had this last night and thought I would share.

I have been doing a lot of energy work through the days and then every night and then again in the morning, I have been listening to guided astral projection meditations. This has actually given me a few lucid dreams, but unfortunately no OBE yet that I remember.

The dream started as a concert type event where I was just having a good time. This is where it started to become lucid and the music/party theme changed to a song I knew, tonight alive: lonely girl and into a foam party. Strangely the band was all male,but female vocals, and it now looked like a party from a hangover movie. This is the song if anyone is interested :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrkfkwzChoM

I started to think of the lyrics, then suddenly I am in what looked like a dark old fashioned jazz bar which was crowded with people (leather seats in the dark), but no music was playing. At this point I noticed a woman sitting to the side of me. She immediately drew my full attention, I just felt a strange attraction when I looked at her and it was like I couldn't take my eyes off her, but when I looked at her I already knew that I was doing something wrong, so I started to curiously look at her while half leaning my head on the chair. She then appeared amused as she smiled towards me as if it was natural, at that point I felt like everyone was now paying attention to me. This was when I panicked on what to do. I felt like I had been caught red handed doing something I shouldn't. I close my eyes and begin "pretending to be sleep" mode, so that everyone's response would be "He wasn't doing that, he was just sleeping with his head turned in that direction." However at this point it felt like I had fully lost control of the dream as nothing was going the way I wanted and I could feel the attention on me. I then heard a voice say my name into my ear, when I didn't respond the voice said "[my name], are you really just going to pretend to sleep?"  [END]  Shortly after the voice called my name the second time, I woke up with a jolt.

So anyone have an interpretation of this which might help me figure it out?

I actually woke up feeling embarrassed and confused. Part of me thinks that my mind is trying to tell me something. Another part of me thinks it was my mind letting out the crazy. I think the strangest thing for me was the voice calling me out on "pretending to be asleep". It is probably the first time I have been called out in my dream, and called by name. Plus I lost complete control of the dream.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

I also wanted to add that I felt like it might be my mind trying to tell me something. After writing it all down, I have a theory now.

Maybe it was about when I spoke to my friends and family about why I suddenly started meditating and I mentioned my belief in OBE's. Like I am attracted to having an OBE again, but embarrassment and panicking when close are what are holding me back?

Am I really just going to "Pretend to be asleep" but not take the final hurdle.

OR I could be finding connections where there aren't any. Atleast this is helping me deal with it, I guess.

Selski

Hello Astral Potato

Some people believe that every dream character is an aspect of yourself. Therefore, the others who called out your name and asked why you were pretending to be asleep were the lucid aspects of you. No wonder they all looked amused.

I also think your theory in the second post has some merit.  :-)

Losing control of the dream happened I believe because you started to panic. The dream then became non-lucid due to emotion. This tends to happen with any emotion - whether positive or negative. To help with this, it's simply a matter of practise when lucid. Every two seconds say out loud 'I am dreaming' (even quietly to yourself). But don't just say it as if on autopilot - it has to be said slowly, clearly and understood every single time you say it. One way that I sometimes use is to sing the Rod Stewart song 'I am sailing' but replace sailing with dreaming.  :wink:

And of course the key to prolonging these experiences in a lucid manner is to practise mindfulness and self-control of emotions. This can be done in everyday life and it should naturally transfer to sleeping life too.

Hope that helps.

We all find nonsenses to believe in; it's part of being alive.