News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Euphoric Sunrise,

Excellent review! [8D] I agree that the book is kind of dry, especially in the beginning. It is a worthwhile book, of course, because of the good information on lucid dreaming. The author's website has additional interesting facts and details too:
http://lucidity.com

Very best,
"What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Euphoric Sunrise

Thanks Nick! And thanks for adding that link, i forgot about that [:)]
"The soul is never silent, but wordless"
* Emperor - The Tongue of Fire

Euphoric Sunrise

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge, Ph.D. (& Howard Rheingold)

This book is obviously about lucid dreaming and all it's wonders. I was really looking forward to getting this book because i was really into lucid dreaming a few months back. When i finally had it in my hands i naturally began reading it straight away.
I must admit, at first i was a bit bored. The first chapters are just about lucid dreaming and explaining what exactly it is. I found that most of the information in them i already knew from what research i had done on the internet. Never-the-less, as the book went on, things became more interesting. Stephen LaBerge explained different aspects of lucid dreaming in more detail than i had heard before. He spends time on nightmares, healing, and using dreams to improve your waking
life.
All in all, this book was very interesting to me and i learned a lot about lucid dreaming and what is possible when in one (anything!). This book will be very valuable to any beginner. The more experienced dreamers won't find the book as good, but still might pull something out of it.
I give it 4 and a half stars out of five. I didn't give it five because nothing is perfect [:D]
"The soul is never silent, but wordless"
* Emperor - The Tongue of Fire

Telos

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my two cents.

When this book came out, it was the only book I could find at my local bookstore that mentioned lucid dreaming. "Great," I thought, "something to help me with my experiences!"

I've had a long time to fully digest this book and I must say I find it very disappointing. Although LaBerge is absolutely a hero for bringing lucid dreaming to the scientific community, the book has a tendency to make you feel like your dreams aren't anything special, also making it plainly clear that your dreams are just vivid imagination. But my biggest gripe with the book is how complicated the exercises are. From reading it, you'd think you'd have to be Tibetan master in order to WILD, or something.

I was able to finally have some WILDs when I just put this book away and went back to my own dream journaling.

LaBerge's first book, simply titled "Lucid Dreaming," was way better. It detailed his experiments and his findings, along with a host of historical information on lucid dreaming, leaving the conclusions much more open! I highly recommend that book over this one. When I read it, it was out of print (I had to make a special request for a library from a different city to lend it to me), but it looks like this copy on Amazon is a reprint.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1591791502/qid=1109875994/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-3118805-6009722?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Anyways, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems like LaBerge's first book is often forgotten for the sake of this one - probably because it wasn't a self-help book, which is what most lucid dreaming books are, and not a spirituality book, which tends substitute lucid dreaming for other phenomena. The book I linked to above definitely looks more self-helpish than the original, so I'm not sure if it's the same book.