News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

T Lobsang Rampa

Previous topic - Next topic

llasa

T. Lobsang Rampa is the kind of crank that gives serious students of the Paranormal, like me, a pain.  So, once and for all, can we please put his ghost, he died in 1981,to rest.  

In the mid 1950's a series of books appeared in England and the US purporting to be by a Tibetian priest called Rampa and claiming that he had been given supernormal powers by undergoing an operation on his forehead to open a'Third Eye'(the title of his first book.

Descrepancies in the book spotted by several experts onTibetann culture, including no less a person than the brother of the present Dalahi Lama, led to an investigation which resulted in Tuesday Lobsang Rampa the lama from Lhasa being exposed as Cyril Henry Hoskins the plumber's mate from Devon.  

That should have finished the matter but no, in his third book 'The Rampa Story' Hoskins claimed that his body had been taken over by the spirit of Rampa and he continued to claim this until the day of his death.

shaman

Tuesday Lobsang Rampa,

for the normal people, it is just another of these science fiction books, which are put on the same side of the shelve with the books of R. Bruce. For the "more qualified" people dealing with OBE, they don't really like him, and I am not even sure why.

Anyhow, I was just a kid when my older brother got these books of Rampa (that was 30 years ago). Whether all that is true or not does not matter to me, as of course none can also answer whether the astral is real or not. No scientific proof has been established, so that it is non sens to discredit Rampa, while all the other books on the topics have also not been scientifically validated, but neither refuted I must add. I think one of the reasons the books of Rampa (and I am writting the books of Ramp, not Rampa himself) are important is because they introduced quite early (60s) the culture and practices of the Thibetans to a world that did not move an inch to stop the invasion of Thibet by China. Not only did Tuesday Rampa told about the astral realm, he also told about the cruelty of the chinese when they invade Thibet (and they are still there!!). So, to be short, I would say that even if all what is in his books is not true, it has at least pushed the people in the western world to have a look at what was happening in Thibet, militarily and spiritually speaking. As to the person himself, he is supposedly a thibetan monk who, because his physical body has been badly damaged, though he still had to accomplish on this planet, got re-incarnated in the body of a grown up (the plumber).

I must thank Tuesday Rampa for his books, as I enjoyed reading them and I learned a few true things from there.

One of his books is telling about the death of his brother as a child (in Thibet), it is also telling about his early childhood, the invasion of Thibet by the Chinese Army... I also remember the story of him coming to Vencouvert I think, not sure. He got crashed by a car on purpose to steal him his belongings. He also tells of the story of the plumber first falling from a tree (?) and having an accidental OBE and meeting with those who suggest him to give his physical body to Tuesday. And then he tells the story of the plumber who has a hard time to live with a wife, as a Thibetan he never did before, etc.... Anyhow, I think you can learn things from the book, even if you believe it is not true. As I said, Science has not proven any of all the stuff here on this forum to be true.... so it is up to you.

padawan

I read one of his books, The Third Eye, and I found it most inspiring. At that time, I felt his story to be true and convincing.  I was very young then and that book came to me under rather mysterious curcumstances; although some known lamas discredited Rampa, his book greatly influenced my future interests in paranormal, Tibetian culture and religion, and for that I give him full credit.

Shirley

I have only just read this thread and am delighted others remember Lobsang Rampa's books. It was over twenty years ago that I read a number of his books and much of the details in his books are now lost to me.However, they entranced me and I came across them quite by chance and quite mysteriously. There is a semi-realism to his work reminiscent to me of some of Castenadas' books and Ouspensky's 'In Search of the Miraculous' (in which we describes his years with Gurdjieff). Highly subjective and speculative pieces of work and very helpful to those looking for alternatives views on living. All of them I feel are special books that live in some expanded reality. I just cannot explain them at all and yet feel that there are truths and realizations and I do not consider them fictional. Personally, I loved Rampa's books but can appreciate why someone may be dismissive about them. Not me however :-).

jnsn

I think the books by t.lobsang rampa and others like the ones by c. castaneda, ect.- contain stories that the author completly make up in order to put their knowledge into. Alot of the books become more interesting in the way they are presented. Instead of writing how-to books, they crate an intersting story to grab our attention and present the knowledge in new ways. People have been using stories to impart knowledge to people for as long as men have walked the earth.
 The problem is once a man crates an intersting story about himself he has to live as if that kn

Dr Bob

I have been a student of the occult/metaphysics for many years and have had several great mentors. Having studied many books I have found the books by T. Lobsang Rampa to be very well written, complete, and very knowegable.  

For just a plain plumber as has been stated previously, this person had knowledge that was way beyond him. Therefore any intelligent person should be able to determine with just a little investigation that these writings were done by someone with a great deal of knowledge.

I must also state from other writings that I have studied, many of the subjects discussed in several of his books, including "My Visit to Venus", which many seem to feel is controversial, I discovered many of his statements to be found in other writings.

To me these other writings have substantiated much of what he has written. An example would be the book written by Alexandra David-Neel called "Magic & Mystery in Tibet".  This was written approximately in 1929 and there are several statements and examples she gives which show that T. Lobsang Rampa knew what he was writing about. This writer spent 14 years of her life in Tibet, became a Lama and knew what she was writing about. Read of her account and you will see what I mean. This is but only one of many books I have studied which give Rampas writing creditability. Another writer founded the St Germain Foundation about the same time as above and wrote under the pen name of Godfrey Ray King.  Many of his writings also go along with some of Rampa's.  

So if one would study various works and I mean a wide variety of them, they would see that many do collaborate Rampa's writings.  

Before one condems anothers works they must first study and do their homework.  We are all on a path towards enlightment and each one of us has something to add.  Rampa is just one who has given much, whether from his own experience or from someone else's experience given to him in thought, does not matter. What he writes about is sound and it works.  If you don't believe me then take his writing "You Forever", read the entire book, then go back and practice each part and see if you don't discover that what he says is truth.  

I can tell you from my many years of research and teaching the paranormal, having been the co-founder of the American Institute of Parapsychology, that what is written in this book will work for each person that studies and practices.  

So what difference does it make if Rampa was a walk in or just a plumber that wrote 30 books that changed peoples lives.  How many books can you say that each of you wrote?  

So in my opinion the Rampa collection of books are worth reading. Don't ever put someone down just because they don't meet with your expectations.  Now keep reading and studying and growing.  Good Luck.
Dr Bob

milarepa

Hi,
In reply to the first post, I 'discovered' Lobsang Rampa's books by 'accident' in a very small bookshop in Belfast.  The first book I read was 'Beyond the Tenth' and it is basically not fictional and mainly he discuss's astral projection, as well as diet, enemas', lost civilisations and many wonderful subjects[:D].  I have him to thank for re-inspiring me towards this area of study(astral projection) and since almost all his books where in the shop, I went back and bought 'Doctor from Lsasa', 'The Safron Robe', 'The Rampa Story', and 'Living with the Llama'(which is actually his siamese cat Mrs Fifi Greywhiskers telepathically dictated life story[:D]).
Before this I had read and have studied various books on Tibetan Buddhism and can say that all that he says is thoroughly supported in various doctrines such as 'Tibetan Yoga' translated by E.W.Wentz which is actually seven books on various meditation and yogic practices and has an entire book dedicated to consciouness transferance along with historical references to it's use.  The same practice is even mentioned briefly in 'Transform Your Life' by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and this would be a quite a straight forward, popular, and modern work.
The people that apparently 'proved' that Lobsang was a fraud were a English organisation researching Tibetan history whose only 'proof' that he was not who he said he was asking the present Dalai Llama if he 'knew' him, to which he answered 'I do not recall a monk of that name'.  Lobsang even stated in his books that he had to choose a name that suited his and the body which he was to inhabit' harmonic vibration and it more than likely wasn't his original Tibetan name.  Also, I doubt that some guy who had an obvious disliking of Lobsang coming up to the Dalai Llama and demanding proof from beyond the grave(as he had supposedly known Lobsang only in his past incarnation)would achieve very positive results.[;)]
I can honestly say that I have thoroughly enjoyed all of his books that I have had the pleasure to read and I am always on the look out for his others.  Apart from being a very wise and knowledgable soul, he was very good humoured and a great story teller.
regards

Dr Bob

We must understand that Rampa also known as Lobsang would not be known to the current Dali Lama since it was the past Dali Lama which knew him.  Secondly his name they knew him by was Yza-mig-dmar Lah-lu.
Perhaps the current Dali Lama might have recognized Lobsang had they used the proper name.  He only used T. Lobsang Rampa in his books since no one would be able to pronounce or remember his name given to him when he became a Monk. Hope that clears that up.
As the last forum reply states many of the things Lobsang has written about are authentic.  The next thing you must think about is that the Plumber he walked into the body of, had little education and was not at all read in the oriental arts or knowledge, however, even the plumbers wife said it was not the same man that returned home after the fall from the tree which put him into the hospital and when Lobsang, who had made arrangements with the plumber, dweller of the body who wanted to depart this world, to take over his body and he did.  So from the interview with the wife, it was quite evident, from someone who should know, that this was no longer her husband, but someone different.  However, she did like Lobsang and they stayed married.
So please, don't be so quick to judge unless you have done your own research.  Just as the last reply, it was a great joy and a help to obtain these books.  To receive higher consciousness we can not judge or give false witness.  How can anyone on the path throw out slander or judgement unless they are clean themselves in all areas and even then an enlightened being would not. For to do so, would bring them back down to the lower vibration once again.  
Tell you what read a book entitled "Initiation" by Elisabeth Haich. It will help you to open your eyes.  
Good luck to all of you on the path.
Dr Bob
www.knowledge-download.com/aperfectrelationship
Watch for Dr Bob's new book The Road to Higher Consciousness: an experential journey

Osirion

Tuesday Lobsang Rampa was an extrordinary author, and a man blessed with a wealth of knowledge.

"the cave of the acients" is a facinating and inspiring book. much like Plato's "the cave", whereas he must journey to a new land and spread his knowledge. something of o horror for a tibet'n monk to have to come to North America and be a spiritual teacher!!!  

"wisdom of the ancients" however is an encyclopedia of esoteric knowedge. like a dictionary he explainns many spiritual word definitions like never heard before. And they are ON POINT!

the people who get fixed on who he was, or is, or is going to be does not matter! He is as inspiring as Depak Chopra or Thoth (hermes/mercury/Arlich Volmalites whatever one you know him by),  and his constant scientific reasoning for spiritual beliefs is refreshing.

Especially if you know the books are 30-40 yars old. i mean come on the guys even beat Edgar Cayce by 10 years in publishing this kind of stuff. Tuesday Lobsang Rampa is one of a kind.

"don't shoot the messenger" i think thats what lobsang was... only a messenger. judge the message not the vehicle.

SoundMan

About TL Rampa.
I will forever be grateful to Tuesday Lobsang Rampa; I read The Third Eye when I was 11 years old which set me off on a search for much more. I eventually read all his books and believe him to be a true Lama. As for his claim of taking over the plumber's body, it is a known fact that Marpa the Translator(who brought the spiritual teachings to Tibet) effectively accomplished this several times and Marpa's son who died prematurely (prior to accomplishing his life's mission) also took someone else's body to finish what he had set out to fulfill in his life.
I have applied several of his techniques and have had success. That is all the proof I can ask for.
Thank you Mr. Tuesday Lobsang Rampa for showing me the path.

rodentmouse

hello good people :D

has anyone read  of  "Lobsang Rampas"  (a pseudonym)  books?  

he  makes  out like  he is a tibetan lama but is actually some  plumber  from  surrey or something like that,  his books are pretty old,  from  the  60's  or 70's   but  he  talks  a lot  about the  things discussed  in these forums  e.g.  auras,  astral projection,  higher  realities, meditation, telepathy etc

if  anyone else has read any of  his books  id like to know  because hes pretty old  and unheard of  as far as i know but im curious because ive only  read  2 of  his  books and would like  to know about his others.

ive read  "the hermit"  and  "feeding the flame"   i still have  "i beleive"  and "doctor from lhasa"  to  go.