News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Black and White Lucid Dreams

Previous topic - Next topic

astralpwka

I've always dreamed in total color, and my lucid dreams are very vividly in color. However, there is a woman I work with that dreams only in black and white. She is very interested in lucid dreams, and has attempted to lucid dream, but with no luck.

Are there any lucid dreamers on this forum who dream in black and white? Do lucid dreams gain color when before there was none?

Eol007

Hi,

Good question!

I have had occasion to experience dreams in black & white or better to recall them as B&W experiences. As well as colour I also get clairvoyance in B&W, but also received clairvoyance as negative images in the past. Although this seems to have self corrected over time!

I can only suspect that as per R Bruce's memory download issue concerning OBE experiences: that B&W dreams, clairvoyance (B&W/inverse images) are probably due to similar mind/energy/physical body interface reasons.

It would be very interesting to see if anyone else explored this in any depth?

Best,

Stephen

Adun

just yesterday i had a lucid dream in cartoon style, but not so well drawn, it wasn't even fully colorised(don't know if it's the right word), all looked like it was drawed by someone in a hurry, so yea black and white should be possible too

wisp

EOL007,
QuoteI can only suspect that as per R Bruce's memory download issue concerning OBE experiences: that B&W dreams, clairvoyance (B&W/inverse images) are probably due to similar mind/energy/physical body interface reasons.
Do you have a link for this site?

astralpwka,
This is an interesting topic.I have a friend who dreams in only black & white, and also doesn't lucid dream. And it's not from lack of interest because he has recorded his dreams for ten years! There was only one mention of a character with color in his dreams gone by.

I have a dream book which mentions black & white dreams are associated with materialism some way. I have the impression the author is saying that the person is more materialistic than let's say a dreamer type. This may also suggest that a person has a tendency toward concrete (not abstract) thinking, but that's just a guess on my part. Either way, I think there's more to it than that. I want to know more on the subject, since occasionally I have black & white experiences/dreams.

One of my spirit guides has a black& white character about him. The first time I saw him, he was a black/white/gray hologram.

My aura experiences involve black and white sometimes.

Eol007

Quote from: wispEOL007,
QuoteI can only suspect that as per R Bruce's memory download issue concerning OBE experiences: that B&W dreams, clairvoyance (B&W/inverse images) are probably due to similar mind/energy/physical body interface reasons.
Do you have a link for this site?

Hi Wisp,

Sorry if my comment appears to indicate that RB's memory download/mind split effect is related to the above.

It is my speculation that B&W and inverse images rather than full on Technicolor (whether received clairvoyantly or in other altered states for instance within dreams) might be a result of something similar in terms of memory integration/filtering.

Although anyone who practices object orientated concentration exercises e.g. candle - might recreate similar effects, as the mind's eye often inverts colour for example. RB does discuss colour inversion in his Aura tutorial, but uses other examples. Is it not a well known mind/physiological effect anyhow?

I am not a psychologist, but would assume that cognitivists would appreciate this field of interest etc. Personally I have not seen this subject discussed elsewhere in any sort of depth, but then I am only relying on my own limited experience of these effects.

Does that make more sense?

Best,

Stephen

Telos

Just had a black and white lucid dream this morning!

In the dream, a narrative was being given in my own voice from a future me about the present events. (you know, kind of like film noir) He was describing an onset of a fake redness. Well that was cryptic, I thought - red is red, how can red be fake and therefore not be red? But then I looked at the present events and knew exactly what he meant. In a dash, I took control of the dream and shouted "BLUE!" as I conjured it around the landscape.

Then everything went black and white, like an old movie, and people looked around wondering what was going on.

And then everything went back to normal "true" colors.

Everything didn't turn blue, it was more like a "truer blueness" was restored. Don't know how else to describe it, but color is more than it seems, apparently ;)

upstream

Ususally black & white dreams mark low arousal levels of the brain. Since they are associated with non-REM sleep early dreams tend to occur in such way.

In fact, many of our lucid dreams develop from stage #2 non-REM sleep. Think about those moments when you blindly fumble around the bed or lose your sight in a lucid dream!

Premature hypnagogic images from the upper theta have similar arousal characteristics. Generally, theta images are vague and thought like and need the supplement of high alfa and beta in order to show up colors more details.

Bands of the EEG power act like boxes. Although the summ total of the brain power remain the same, when we change arousal level at will the they dance a weird pattern between these "boxes." I suppose, even high power gamma is involved temporarily, especially in trakata or inner silence type excercises.

Of course, these physiological level could be a storehouse of various psychic phenomena from remote viewing to astral projection, but this theory explain the original question nevertheless.

Eol007

Hi,

Hey, Good stuff upstream.

Clearly I have the brain level arousal level of a torpid gnat  :wink:

Nevertheless would you be so kind to post some references for perusal!

Best,

Stephen  :)

wisp

Wow! Thanks, Upstream. Good to know!

EOL007, thanks for the last explanation, it is clearer now. :)
I've delved into the inversion thing with color (including RB's). I find it a little complicated (therefore,confusing) right now. It makes sense, it's just that I can't compute it for some reason.

Will have to check it out again, thanks.

upstream

Haha, I'll see what can I do for you, Stephen - but it has the price. Can you notice how relaxed is your attention now? For some reason you feel sleepy and receptive, inclined to be more forgiving with upstream favorite four-letter words. (Moreover, apparently for no reason, you start to like and use these words...as well as Nay, hehe) How could it be that you have already forgot what you have just read but will act accordingly? Anyway, you will never read this post again.

Hm, what do you refer to exactly? As for the possible EEG-power dynamics behind meditative states see Matti Pitkanen's Spectroscopy of Consciousness. It could be the second testament in psycophyics' bible for the twenty first century. The remaining information are well accepted in sleep physiology so I can't suggest you any particular paper at this moment. Perhaps search for some Tore Nielsen article, but I'm not sure. He should have something about NREM mentation and hypnagogia. "Dreaming and the Brain: toward a cognitive etc etc from Hobson et al. seems to be a primer for sleep physiology. Hope I make sense.

happy holiday,
>>> upstream

Eol007

Upstream,

Like the proverbial goldfish my mind seems to be spinning round and round back to your post. But on the way I may well find the meaning of life the Universe and everything ..... If so I'll send a post card and let you know!

Meanwhile thank you for tea and I'll try not to get caught up in someone else's 60's psychotropic nightmares on the way.

Blessings,

Stephen  :shock:

upstream

trallala pam-pa-pam...letsee what... OH NO, oh excrement no...ok bob ive screwed it up again. what? no.. no i mean yes... yes the hypnosis session went wrong.... i wasnt... what did you say? protocol #303 ok thanks man, im already back...see what we can do...i liek this guy..

Hello Stephen!

There is no reason to panic. You are in safe.
Please read the following script carefully.
You'll forget it right after you hear it so nod your head when you have done. Good! Now you happy again.

excrement excrement excrement excrement seems its working

what? #304? excrement

catmeow

I was speaking to a friend at work about a month ago about dreaming, and how a lucid dream can be indistinguishable from real life, when he started arguing vehemently that this was rubbish because "when we dream we watch ourselves from behind".

Apparently, in his dreams this guy's "point of view" is "just above and behind" himself, ie he is a kind of observer of himself acting out his dreams.  It took an awful lot of work to convince him that, for me at least, this isn't how I dream.  He was very puzzled...

catmeow
The bad news is there's no key to the Universe. The good news is it's not locked. - Swami Beyondananda

astralpwka

Hey upstream,

Can a b&w dreamer increase the arrousal of the brain somehow to gain access to colored dreams?

upstream

Sure. Without doing so a great fraction of our lucid b&w dreams would be painfully short. Our unconscious mind know the way how to keep up non-lucid b&w dreams by continuing the original mentation regardless of their wavering visual quality. To preserve non-REM dreams, this trick should be coped.

As for the ideal inner exercises, standard lucid dreaming techniques have to be applied in an optimized order, which I believe starts by (1) grabbing things and anchoring yourself to objects around, (2) focusing on little details of an extremely close object (make 40Hz gamma activity of the visually alert brain) like observing tiny wrinkles on your palm, etc.

And yes, (3) shooting for more awareness with as much confidence as possible is very important part of this activating process. Don't let be fooled by the false impression that your current level of awareness is sufficient. If you would be totally conscious in a stable enough dream then it would be colorful and not enclosed at all.

Also there is a little invention I'm somewhat proud of, that is, (4) moving slowly but judiciously toward the most brighter places available in your dreamscape at that holy moment. There are always be places in our dreams that seem to be more brighter when we chose to look around. I mean distant places not a lamp you could switch on, lol. Lamps wont work very well because your brain needs more time to produce something (5-Meo-DMT) or reach a new stable state to function. So you should approach these distant places with great care and slowness by moving deliberately from dim to more brighter places. This even could lead you out of the ordinary lucid states into the more collective regions of the "astral" where the sun always shine.  

The problem is that b&w dreams tend to be enclosed from their beginning and the opening up of the dreamscape (which is sign of more stable and collective experiences) needs more arousal and organized brain activity. The brain try to hold into its initial state - this is the reason why moving towards more brighter spaces is so effective and why you need more awareness and stability before your fully activated brain can shut off. At this point you are free.

Also be aware that flying could destabilize dreams.

However, if your question refers to ordinary dreams than you should sleep lesser to have more compact sleep stages.

astralpwka

thanks upstream for the very informative response. I didn't have a clue what to tell them, just, "Glad it's not me." :)

upstream

Hello catmeow!

There is a weird disease called autoscopy which some people seem to mistake for OBE. It is very similar to what your fiend experience. I have had some LD in which I was seen myself flying from above but apparently was not conscious enough to realize this fact. Or could it be some post-interpretation of the original experience?

Telos

Actually, upstream, autoscopy is the umbrella psychiatrical classification of OBE's as a pathology. At least, that's what I've been able to discern from reading psychiatric literature on the subject.

I'd be interested to know where you read that OBE's and autoscopy are different.

astralpwka

Telos -

This excerpt is from Out-of-Body Experiences - A Handbook by Janet Lee Mitchell, Ph.D.

Quote: "The point of view is the definitive difference between the two experiences. In an autoscopic experience one sees from physical eyes to a double in space; in OBE one sees from a location in space that is different from where one's body is located. In medical reports however, experiences were often cited as autoscopic even though the point of view was from space to the physical body." -End quote.

ragnarokwolf

I have become lucid out of a B&W dream many times.  It seems as my awareness becomes clearer the B&W dream scape shimmers and becomes clearer and more colorful as my lucidity heightens.  I have never stayed lucid in a B&W dream for very long it either ends quickly or becomes color.

Lickerish

Sometimes I dream of fictional characters that are in black and white such as The Munsters>
They appear in black and white while I and everything else is in color.