News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Flying in a Lucid dream

Previous topic - Next topic

kozzi

The first lucid dream I ever had was absolutely wonderful.  It lasted for about 3 minutes, and I flew most of the time.  I remember that I was so amazed that everything was so clear.  I looked at my arms and they were glowing, and I was flying with them outstretched in front of me like Superman.  As I approached a skyscraper, I realized that I didn't have to fly like that, and I immediately came to a sitting position and flew up to the top of the skyscraper.  I landed with so much force that the concrete roof tiles broke apart under my feet.  I remember standing there looking out at a night-time harbor below me with boat lights moving across the bay, and the wind blowing in my face.  I felt so powerful and free.  

I still haven't quite had a dream that's lasted as long as that one, but I do have lucid dreams somewhat regularly (maybe once a week).  When they are really clear I get too excited I think, but I do fly most of the time.  

Kozzi

Lickerish

I have been flying in my dreams now for many years and it has been as true to life as possible.
When I was about anywhere from 1 - 4 years old I began levitating and would float down the hall of my apt. about 4 feet from the ground and for short distances such as to my bedroom.
In my dream world I wasn't old or strong enough yet to fly it was just like learning how to crawl and then to walk.
It took time but then one day when I was anywhere from 5 - 7 years of age I was leaning out of my bedroom window when suddenly I began to float out of it and out of the apt.
There I was a young girl outside her building 3 flights up from the ground an in mid air!
I was very startled and almost afraid but then I began to move and actually fly slowly through the air for a little bit before I flew downwards and landed safely on the ground.
Later on in time with the 1957 Superman from the old Adventures of Superman tv series as an example of how to fly, take off, land, etc. I became almost as strong, and skillful as he was at doing it.
It is something that is very freeing and fun that I still enjoy very much doing to this day in my dreams! [:)]

Michael_E

quote:
Originally posted by Nick

There are only so many lucid dreams that come my way. I am lucky if I can get a couple each month so I'm happy when they occur. Last night I was lucid and did my favorite thing which is to fly. For some reason, when I fly in lucid dreams, I usually start mentally playing the music from the 1978 Superman movie. It's kind of funny, but I seem to get a kick out of it while lucid. [:D]

Anyone else have any interesting flying dream experiences?

i had a lucid last night and couldnt fly, I think because i wasnt situated enough in consciousness in the lucid world. What i did to get situated there better was to allow myself to fall forward from a standing position and right before hitting the ground i would stop and float, then fly around. A kind of either hit the floor or fly situation helped out for that just in case anyone cant fly.
If you will it it is no dream.

-Theodore Herzl

Lickerish

Sometimes I dream about the old 1957 Superman from the show the Adventures of Superman in either color or black and white.
We are good pals in my dreams and enjoy an occasional flying race together but he almost always cheats and then has an impish grin on his face while doing it! [:D]

Nick

Given the replies from all of you it seems that a number of us have these flying dreams. I thought I would check the website of the Lucidity Institute (http://www.lucidity.com) to see what I could find. The following is from their website:

"Flying dreams and lucid dreams are strongly related in
several ways. First, if you ever find yourself flying without
benefit of an airplane or other reasonable apparatus, you are
looking at a fine dreamsign. Second, if you ever suspect that
you are dreaming, trying to fly is often a good way to test
your state.

If you think you are dreaming, push off the ground and see if
you can float into the air. If you are indoors, after you fly
around the room, look for a window. Go out the window, and
strive for altitude. Curiously, more than a few dreamers
(most likely city-dwellers) have reported that they sometimes
find an obstacle in the form of electrical power lines that
seem to prevent their passage. And some of these oneironauts
report a surge of energy, often accompanied by a burst of
light, when they fly through the "power" lines.

Flying is fun, and therefore worth doing for the sheer joy of
it, even if you aren't determined to reach a specific
destination. People seem to be able to fly in just about any
manner imaginable, according to the hundreds of reports we
have received. Many people fly "Superman style," with their
arms extended in front of them."
"What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheSeeker

I had my first OBE a few weeks ago, and although I lost sight after about 10 seconds I was flying very easily.

I could dart in any direction and stop on a dime.  I wasn't flying like superman, just darting which ever way, doing loops and spinning around.  This didn't last too long, and everything after about 20 seconds gets fuzzy in my memory.

holy reality

"Curiously, more than a few dreamers
(most likely city-dwellers) have reported that they sometimes
find an obstacle in the form of electrical power lines that
seem to prevent their passage."

All the time :(

It used to be a huge deterrant... I wouldn't go near them... I'd fear them...

But I realized part of lucid dreaming and all this stuff I"m doing is to over come earthly burdens such as fear... it's like the Matrix.. remove yourself of all doubt...

So I just fly into them now, I still get reluctant to do so, and they tend to shock me, but once I get shocked a few times they usually stop appearing.

As for flying itself, I have quite the trouble gaining significant altitude.. I want to be thousands of feet off the ground soaring through the sky, but USUALLY I can't..

What I've found is I'll LOOK like I am, but i'm actually just a foot above the "ground" and it's just really tiny ground....

Sometimes I'll be flying with no ground in sight under me and all I'll of a sudden just be walking on top of something... it sucks

sometimes though I'm capable of flying very fast and doing manuevers and it's very fun usually... one time I went soaring through the clouds quite effectively, until I found that I was about 100 times better at diving than I was at climbing, and I barreled into the ground and had difficulty getting back up to where I came from.

I think it's kind of like literally learning to walk though, flying is in your dreams... being a human I don't know how to fly so it's something new to me that I'll get better at each time, hopefully.... I just hope that my mind is creative enough to truly let me go at supersonic speeds and out into space and stuff... because I've never been into space, just what I perceived to be space but was actually a crappy carboard cutoutlooking scenery scape of sorts....

Alice effect? I guess.... I'd like to be able to actually OBE into the  "real world" and do realistic things and go to REALISTIC PLACES... i.e. when I say I want to go to Las Vegas I don't end up in some weird fantasy looking Las Vegas.

also, when testing to see if you are dreaming by trying to fly, please don't jump off of anything [:O] seriously.... just try to levitate from where you are at the time....

I know when I become lucid and I'm on a skyscraper I love to fling myself off it and fall to the ground... but... that's not a good realit check, lol.
!..............!

Nick

quote:

Originally posted by holy reality

I think it's kind of like literally learning to walk though, flying is in your dreams... being a human I don't know how to fly so it's something new to me that I'll get better at each time, hopefully...

That has been my experience as well. As I have had more of the flying dreams I have gotten better at things like maintaining altitude and controlling direction. It is as if we need to leave behind the physical world thinking regarding our physical limitations before we can hone these flying skills in lucid dreams. [8D]

All the best,
"What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nagual

In my case, it's not a question about learning how to fly; it's more about convincing me that I can fly.

When I have a low lucidity, I just fly as easily as I walk.  I don't even think about it; I just do it.  [:D]

But when my lucidity is high, I have a hard time taking off...  I have to push myself from buildings/cliffs, or start by swiming in the air.  And then I can only hover at like a few meters from the ground...  [xx(]

I see it as a conflict between the conscious who believes it's impossible to fly and the unconscious who knows you can.  And you can apply that to other stuff like going through walls, etc...
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Nay

I fly different ways, at different times.  Funny about the Superman way, I do that and last time I did fly that way, I actually started to giggle at the thought of how I must have looked.[:P]  Other times I am flying but I don't even have a body, that is when I can zoom here and there, very cool indeed!

One night I found myself flying (without the body) and realized I had my brother with me, we were flying over this inlet that had high rocky cliffs around it.  The beauty of it all was breath-taking.  The water was so clear that I could see under its depths, the wreckage of a plane as we flew over it.

Then we started to lose altitude, I told my brother, "you need to believe, just believe"  I felt it was his lack of belief that was pulling us down. I struggled to keep us in the air, but alas, we came to a soft landing on the top of the rocky cliffs.

My brother doesn't believe in any of this stuff, but I did call and ask him if he remembered anything about flying in a dream and of course no..eh, oh well, one of these days..boy is he going to be surprised! [:D]

Nay [;)]

Adkha

I have lucid dreams for a long time now....but the last one is allready a while ago. Actually since I know that others have them to and that these dreams are called lucid dreams, I'm getting them only more rarely :-S Usually I have them when I wake up, and go to sleep again.
In the beginning when I first had them, the main thing I did whas having great sex with anyone :-) But later I reaLized I could fly too. But when I fly I always wake up faster.

Can anyone give me suggestions go get my lucid dreams back so I can learn more from it?
Psycho Paradoxical

holy reality

"Can anyone give me suggestions go get my lucid dreams back so I can learn more from it?"

What? You mean have lucid dreams more often? Or actually go back and repeat the same dream again?

I'm not sure if you can do that, but if you wake up in the middle of a lucid dream and it's still kind of early in the morning it's usually pretty easy to go back into the dream by thinking about the last memory you have of it and the very last thing you experienced, and visualizing that, and imagining you are still in it. Eventually you transition back in.

To have them more often either think about your dreams all the time during the day and think about being lucid and what you want to do, or everytime you look at your hands or look at your watch or take a drink of water duruing the day ask yourself "am I dreaming" until it becomes a habit.

Also whenever you see something weird during the day also ask yourself that...

last night I was at this crappy amusement park and they were building the most amazing looking roller coaster ever, and I couldn't believe my eyes, and this triggered some sort of response in me becuase I know there is no way in hell there is ever going to be a good roller coaster built where I live, so I was like "do you think this is a dream?" to my friend, and he got real concerned and saddened and I figured out it was a dream, but we continued exploring the park as if it wasn't, only we would talk to the employees and tell them to build this ride in real life.

so just make a habit about associating the weird and unexpected with dreaming.
!..............!

Nick

The website I posted above has some tips to help become lucid. There are certain dreamsigns to look for, as well as techniques for reminding oneself that they are in a dream.

The book to read is Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming and is also mentioned at the Lucidity Institute's website.  [:)]

Very best,

holy reality

hmm...

lately I have been able to achieve high speed/high altitude flight, but when doing so I have NO control over myself and where I'm going....

am I getting better at flying or is it just random limitations depending on the type of dream I'm in? Becuase last night I couldn't for the life of me fly fast.. but the first time the real fast flying happened I was actually trying to slow myself down and couldn't really do so.

it kind of had something to do with arm position though... when I drew my arms in to my sides I went faster but lost control, but if I put one partway outward I could direct myself better....

(kind of true to real physics I guess)
!..............!

drbombay

My most recent lucid flying dream was pretty funny....I had to take off like the flying nun,steering my ascent with my head.If I kept my head pointed up,I could gain altitude,but I kept coming down to earth because I would think to myself "Hey,people don't fly!"But I wanted to show all of my friends and family I could,and finally,I just gave up and decided to try again later.I have alot of lucid dreaming experiences,but only a few involve flying.But they make me feel so good when I awake, I wish I could have them naturally, more often.

ThE_MaStEr_Of_PuPpEtS

I've had many dreams where it felt like I was awke. Like the last one I had was about me and some other people and I had a friend who was a dragon and he explained to me and the others how he had a curse of some sort placed on him and that it was going to make him turn against us soon. So then me and my friends (who i have never seen in real life) said our good byes to him and then he dropped to the groung and lied there screaming. (we were in a tower of some sort) Then my one friend grabbed my shoulder and told me that we had to leave fast. So I stood up and quickly started running towards the ladder down, but the suddenly my exfriend the dragon smashed his head trough the side of the tower, so I jumped down and grabbed this other ladder before I hit the ground and the others followed. We began running towards this forest in the distance and then a woman screamed that we had left he child behind. So we ran back and picked him up and began running again. (I noticed the feeling of the wet grass on my feet and the wind as i ran) then we were a good distance away from the dragon when he finally freed his head from the wall. Thats when he bagan running at us. So we started to run faster. ( i kept looking back watching the dragon it looked soo real) Then the dragon took one great leap and began flying. I noticed a abandonned bus in the distance and told the rest of the group to duck underneath it. Then the dragon took one last flap of its wings and ripped the bus apart from right above us (I felt the rush of wind when it ripped the bus away) Then we all stood up quickly. We were right at the boader line of the forest and ran inside because the dragon was too large to fit between the trees. Thats when we were safe from the dragon. We all sat there sad because our good friend (the dragon) had truned against us against his will.   Then I was rudely awakened by my brother. The dream felt real everything about it.

I also had other dreams that felt extremely real too..

monicat777

This is a fun topic.  When I have a lucid dream, I can't seem to do anything except fly.  It is annoying when I wake up because I think of all the other things I could have done with the experience.

I go, 'oh cool, I'm dreaming! I should fly!' Previously, I could just take off.  Now though, I have to jump a few times before I can get started. Like I have to be high enough up to maintain a cruising altitude.lol  

Another thing that happens to me... My friends will be in the dream. And I'm lucid so I know I'm dreaming.  But for some reason, I just know they can see me...like they really are there.  So I try to show them that I can fly.  They don't believe me, so I do it.  I'm like..'Hey, check out all my majesty!' Then I wake up and I'm so dissapointed that I can't really fly, because it seems soo real.  It's soo great though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for staying grounded in a lucid dream?

ThE_MaStEr_Of_PuPpEtS

Does anyone have any suggestions for staying grounded in a lucid dream?

My first suggestion is try to keep you self from wanting to fly in the lucid dream. Try walking some where and explore the surrounding.

If you still can't keep yourself from flying try to build up a fear of flying. lol

Or just wait till you dont feel like flying any more in lucid dreams. Decide to explore where you are and see if its a place you know or something else.

-XioN-

Hi!
This can really be called a nice topic:)

I seem to be an outstanding personality, because i never thought about flying when i started to learn on how to dream lucid. Although it became very funny when i finally decided to learn it.

I found this superman-stuff not for me, so i tried to fly with another technique: I created some wings and flew with them. It was really a funny experience because it feels quite strange to have wings attached to your back...

I remember my first experience:
I became lucid in front of a swinning pool and created some pressure in my body for isolating energy. I stood there like Goku in Dragonball-Z when he tried to get some energy for his next attack. But i let it all out and saw that these wings were there.

My first tries ended in falling into the water but i quickly mastered to fly a little. Although i did not use my wings for that. I fully concentrated on moving them and finally succeeded. When i got more and more advnced i felt them as if they were really a part of my body.

It is always funny to fly with them but i discovered that human anatomy is not really made for wings. The only thing you can do efficiently is to stand still and sail a little. The whole body is just too heavy for flying faster and the legs always pull yourself down... later i kinda combinded it a little with some gravity-manipulation and it is always funny to do it...

But there are things, wich are even cooler sometimes:D Just take a look at MATRIX 2... the film really offers some amazing tricks. Just hit the floor with your fist like Neo did and imagine the molecules becoming liquid. Then you suck out all of the energy, concentrate it and shoot up into the air, like an arrow. Sometimes it got so fast that i woke up... it`s really cool[:D]
Just walk, where you don't belong...

siddharth nair

>>>also, when testing to see if you are dreaming by trying to fly, please don't jump off >>>of anything  seriously.... just try to levitate from where you are at the time....

I usually had this fear of jumping off a building , even when i was lucid...becuase that fear keeps nagging me that i just may be in real life......but i got over that my telling myself , that if i even have the slightest doubt then it must be a dream...this is pretty usefull for scary situations.....

volcomstone

dream flying is great fun.

Anyone ever breath under water? thats how I usually start flying,
in your dream you first "hold your breath" and you even get the "fear" of drowning, but then it passes as Miracuously you can breath water!

not to mention that I could get sponsored for snowboarding.skateboarding in my dreams, as Im so good at  it.
opinions are like kittens, just give 'em away

Amber

Yes! What a fun topic! It seems like the second I realize I am dreaming, I start to float in the air. I enjoy flying so much in my dreams, it hasn't occured to me to try to curb it at all.

The last lucid dream I had was a few nights ago, I have them maybe once or twice a week depending on my outside stress level, in this one I was flying over a city that resembled Atlantis, as in it was sinking into the ocean. Just the tops of the blue tiled roofs were visible, sparkling in the sunlight. Gorgeous.

Amber

tro-flow

Yeah this topic is cool.

Anyone ever fly into space??
I almost did, but the altitude freaked me out and i dropped all the way down into the ground and i even remember passing out and opening my eyes in reality and closing them again and waking up in a hole in the ground, hurting everywhere.

Sometimes it seems like my confidence resemble my dreams, like when i feel i can take on the world, i have full control in my dream and they very vivid.

This makes sense to me, because with a clearer mind, a high confidence and a lot of other good feelings boost your concentration.
And so i believe that level of control in your dreams depend on your ability to focus.

If this is true, could there be a level where dream en reality are ONE??
Sometimes i reach a point when meditating which seems be exactly between dreaming and reality and it actuallyt feels like 'the real reality' [|)]

beachmaster

I like the name of this forum as it is so close to the title of the Joe Satriani CD, "Flying in a BLUE Dream", (which has made me wonder many times whether or not Joe is a lucid dreamer).

After having had just one lucid dream many years ago, this year I began to do some of the practicing techniques given on many websites, mostly involving deeply thinking about having lucid dreams and also doing many reality checks throughout the day, plus writing down my dreams. There is a free online service whereby you can log your dream journal... it's pretty cool actually.  Mine is at http://www.beachmaster.dreamjournal.org/ and I have about 6 recent lucid dreams logged in there now, most of which involve flying.

The flying technique that works best for me is just jumping straight up in the air.  In my last lucid dream I felt like I had truly become a master of it and felt totally confident.  In another lucid dream I flew way up and then glided back down and went looking for these two ladies and as I came closer to them I just floated sort of casually leaning on my side and began talking to them as I was flying.  They didn't seem overly impressed with my flying but did like my sense of humor as I asked them "what's wrong ladies, don't you like men who can fly?"  LOL

I love to fly and if that's all I ever did in lucid dreams it would be fine by me!  But I do other things, experimenting looking at my hand, or my face in a mirror (weird as hell!).

CptPicard

I think I've had about 3 Lucid dreams in my entire life and they all involved flying.
It seems we all would like to fly, because in reality our human form is so limited.

I find it hard now days to remember my dreams, sometimes I awake and they are all so clear.... but then through-out the day they start fading.
I haven't lost my mind, I've backed it up somewhere...