News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

How to avoid a LD despite 9 easy dream triggers

Previous topic - Next topic

EscapeVelocity

So, after my Grass, Gravel and an Old Friend experience, I sank back into sleep for awhile. A pattern that I have just noticed, like that of my Back to School experience, is that my Astral event is followed by a short period of sleep, followed by another opportunity that is obviously presented to me by my guide(s) in the form of a dream that I can turn lucid. The trick is, I have to come aware in it. After Back to School, I succeeded; in this one I didn't. I thought it might prove instructive to show the number of Dream Triggers that were presented to me; the chances to achieve awareness, and turn a LD into another astral opportunity.

I became dream aware in an open field (Dream Trigger 1)with a tiny, two inch long, folded paper airplane pinched between the thumb and forefinger of my right hand. I was lifted into the air with the excitement of flight (DT2) and went soaring aloft. At 1,000 feet, I noticed I was pretty high and looked at the paper plane amazed at the ability it was giving me (DT3), but I felt a certain degree of confident control. Then, as if in response to that thought, (DT4), I was sent on a huge updraft taking me to a dizzying 10,000 feet. Here, I had a serious moment of concern that this tiny paper airplane could sustain me (DT5); I didn't feel the control I had earlier, something was beyond my control(DT6). I wondered How in the world can I maneuver myself back down to the ground?; it seemed very unlikely. I persevered in my stubbornness to dream however, so an alternative was introduced: a towering building appeared under me and I was awestruck at the ridiculousness of its height (DT7).

I managed a difficult landing onto the rooftop (by my skill alone, of course lol) and made my way down the emergency stairway. On the top floor, I was accosted by none other than a horde of those Goonies creatures from that movie I had never even seen! The little furry, sharp-toothed suckers that tuck into a ball and roll after you (DT8). They chased me down a few flights of stairs until I came into a level where I encountered a friend of mine (DT9), an older guy DV and we took off together. After descending another couple levels, I realized that I had left DV behind, he couldn't keep up. I knew he would die, I knew we would both die; there in the stairwell, I made the decision to go back and join him and face it together. I charged back up the stairs into the level and could see him surrounded...fade to black...

I missed an astral opportunity, but at least I went back for him...lol
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

Lionheart

EV, you aren't necessarily "avoiding" the LD. You are just "allowing" the scenario to play out as it wishes. But I'm sure you still had some measure of control over your own actions in it.

Just last night I had a LD whereas I was reliving a scenario from my past (1st DT). I was selling the multi purpose cleaner I used to years ago (2nd DT). My old boss and my other fellow salesmen/woman were there as well (3rd DT). I wasn't younger though (4th DT), so I was using what I had learned up to now to actually do my sales. But my current methods weren't working (5th DT). I then reverted back to the lessons I had when I first was taught to sell this product (6th DT). That finally worked and then I woke up. I could count 6 DTs in mine. There were likely more as well. Like where I was when I was selling etc.

I knew very early in the Dream that I was Dreaming. But I have learned over the past year that I can let the Dream or any AP experience for that matter. play out as it wishes, while still having control of my actions. This was the only way that I could discern where the real meaning or lesson of the experience really was meant to be.

I may jumpstart a AP via an intent. But once it gets going I am there to see where it leads.

Before when I became Lucid in my Dreams and APs, I would take it as a sign that I could do anything I wish. I could create a portal or doorway to another area. But I found that they would always be short lived.

Then I learned to trust what I was being shown, when and how I needed to see it. That's when I finally felt progress was being made.

I say when I close my eyes to go to sleep, in a affirmation of sorts, that I am consciously aware that I am sleeping in my bed and that anything that occurs outside of me sleeping in my bed is doing so in a NPR. I am going to change that to "Simulation" now. It seems more Scientific and will help me in the future while logging my Dream/AP experiences.

Szaxx

I'd agree with Lion in your continuing with the dream scenario. You wanted a safe way down and a massive building appeared. That sounds like interaction within the dream environment. It would be a DT but your thoughts constructed this environmental change very smoothly.
Not taking the DT's is showing you that you do have control, this will be limited but it will be part of your NP personality showing itself instinctively.
You basically saved your own butt by being yourself.
Progress showing itself in your subconcious mind overlapping into a concious reality performing a necessary change.

These changes will become common within a standard dream. They do create a point of getting lucid awareness but mostly are not acted upon. The storyline is too interesting in most cases.
Nice one.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Lionheart

My sincere Thank You to you EscapeVelocity for coming up with this thread.  :-)

Counting and logging the "Dream triggers" after you awaken is sure fire way to improve your Lucidity in a Dream. I always log my interesting Dreams after I awaken, but never thought of adding Dream Triggers as well.

I have been trying to program myself for the last year that any time saw people or a places from my past, that I know I am Dreaming. But never thought of writing down actual DTs from my last LD.

Just last night I became consciously aware in 3 different Dream scenarios. The first I don't have much of a waking recall on. But the other two, practically filled a whole page in my log book and I write in point form, so that's a lot of space taken up.

Logging my DTs for now on will really help with my monthly and yearly comparisons that I do, while going over my Dream logs for those periods. I like to reread them to find all the similarities found within them.

Ellury

Oh! I should start logging my DT too, I wonder if it will help any. I dream every night even though I don't log them.

EscapeVelocity

Ellury-

I think Lionheart is pointing out that it's a good idea to start logging, thinking about and noticing Dream Triggers because the DT is not just a simple signal, it is an indicator as well, of NP personality awareness and there is a 'depth' or 'degree' involved with it. (these words don't quite convey exactly what I want to; I'll have to think on this)

Lionheart-

It's my pleasure, my friend!

And as usual, you and Szaxx have shown me insights that I had no idea were there! :-D

You guys have again widened my perspective and given me some aspects to think about. I'll probably have an observation or two tomorrow. Have to re-read several times and contemplate.

Thanks guys!
                                                          -O. Wilde

soarin12

I had two crazy DTs in one dream once.  The first - I was making my way across a room with many tables full of people.  Maybe 50  to 100 total people in the room. The room was noisy as the people were all talking amongst themselves.  My mom was waiting for me at one of the tables.  I sat down and we talked.  Then it was time to go and I got up and again faced the room full of people.  This time, every person in the room was staring directly at me and had a huge grin pasted on their face.  Thinking back on it, it was really creepy, but in the dream I just took it in stride.

Since that didn't work to make me lucid, the scene switched immediately to me standing on a ledge overlooking a canyon as deep as the grand canyon.  There was no fence.  One more step and I would fall over the edge.  There was a tight rope running from my side of the cliff to the other, and there was a man swinging around and around on the tightrope like a gymnast would do or a kid on the playground. -a stunt that probably not even a crazy dare devil would do.  Again, it didn't phase me, unfortunately!

I've never been offered those kinds of triggers again -probably because they had no effect.  The only thing that seems to work well for me is when I run and jump and catch a little air. Then I get excited about doing it again and jumping higher, leading to short flights and then on to full lucidity.  It's funny how I have to teach myself to fly all over again each time I go through it, like each time is the first time I've ever done it!

Lionheart

Soarin did you realize these Dreams after you awoke or while you were in them?

This makes a big difference. Sometimes I find we are Lucid in a Dream, but don't really realize that fact. In other words we actually do have control in them, we just don't "know" that yet.

Were you viewing yourself in 1st person mode? This also makes a big difference on how much control you have over the scenario at hand.

Awaking in a Dream with the "knowing" that your physical body is asleep soundly on your bed, is the biggest DT of them all. But after that, just awaking in a Dream while Dreaming comes a close second. I have noticed that sometimes if I realize or become aware that I am Dreaming a bit too much, too fast, that the Dream immediately stops. That's where just viewing it "passively aware" with an air of curiosity comes into play as a helpful skill. It helps you get your bearings on what exactly is occurring and your task, if any, at hand.

I think the DTs are there every night. We just need to learn how to recognize them.  :wink:

soarin12

LionHeart, the dreams were in the first person but I didn't realize I was dreaming in them.  I think it would of helped if there had been some action -a physical challenge of sorts to motivate me to take control like in EV's dream.  I think I respond to those type better than just random strange sights.  Over the years, in the physical, I've taught myself to take most things -be it difficult, strange or shocking -in stride, so it doesn't surprise me that I didn't react much to these things.

EscapeVelocity

Soarin, the question is one of a more subtle nature; were you aware in the dream 'realtime' to any degree? Not that you had control, just were you aware of the ongoing action as it happened?; degree of control is another question, it appears.

It's a question of degree of realization, realtime. For me, I felt like I was 5-10% behind full awareness realtime. Given Lions' and Szaxx's comments, I realize that I did have or was aware of some small degree of influence in the dream, not what I thought originally, but involved more than I originally gave myself credit for, nonetheless.

I guess the first question might be, were you aware of the dream realtime, or did you just remember it when you woke up?
                                                          -O. Wilde

Ellury

The few lucid dreams I have had all seem to be triggered at random.
My very first one was during my high school days and I had woken up and missed the bus by 10 seconds and had begun to chase after it, at some point after realizing I would never chase after a bus I realized I was dreaming and began to explore until I lost lucidity and woke up (almost actually missing my bus)
The more recent LD. One, I woke up into the dream and was a bit panicked because I thought I had woken up in the past. Another my lucidity was brought on by being chased and lastly I became aware while talking to people in my dream about why I was in a place I would normally not go.

My NP personality doesn't seem to really think things through. I wake up thinking, instead of acting how I wanted why didn't I interact with the people trying to talk to me. Why would I ignore them like they weren't real. >-< Its like, the intent I develop is all I am focused on and everything else doesn't matter.

EscapeVelocity

Ellury-

It seems to me you are putting together a picture of how developed your NP personality is. It seems quite limited at first, but that is apparently normal; I felt the same way. Becoming aware of it is the first step, then work to nurture its development. It can show pretty quickly.

This probably deserves another sticky...Szaxx, Lion??...lol
                                                          -O. Wilde

Lionheart

Quote from: Ellury on August 04, 2014, 04:24:24
The few lucid dreams I have had all seem to be triggered at random.
My very first one was during my high school days and I had woken up and missed the bus by 10 seconds and had begun to chase after it, at some point after realizing I would never chase after a bus I realized I was dreaming and began to explore until I lost lucidity and woke up (almost actually missing my bus)
Ellury, I had a similar experience. Although it was "False Awakening", whereas I thought I had awoke, eaten and was walking to school, when all of a sudden I awoke for real, totally confused what was going on.

Needless to say, I was late for school that day, lol!  :-D That was many years ago in my teens.

Here's another thing I noticed that will probably confuse some people here. You don't necessarily have to realize that you are actually Dreaming in the Dream to become Lucid in it. You can become Lucid/aware of "your" actions. I find that sometimes just being Lucid in it and controlling your actions is enough. You can still learn things and now you are under the mindset that this is a "real time/physical existence". Which means that you are still are governed by the physical ruleset as well. Well, to a degree. Until something out of the ordinary occurs and you come to really "know" you aren't in Kansas anymore, lol.   :wink:

EscapeVelocity

Thanks for reminding me of YET ANOTHER aspect of dream awareness!! Boy, that goes back years!lol
                                                          -O. Wilde

soarin12

Quote from: EscapeVelocity on August 04, 2014, 04:21:16
Soarin, the question is one of a more subtle nature; were you aware in the dream 'realtime' to any degree? Not that you had control, just were you aware of the ongoing action as it happened?; degree of control is another question, it appears.

It's a question of degree of realization, realtime. For me, I felt like I was 5-10% behind full awareness realtime. Given Lions' and Szaxx's comments, I realize that I did have or was aware of some small degree of influence in the dream, not what I thought originally, but involved more than I originally gave myself credit for, nonetheless.

I guess the first question might be, were you aware of the dream realtime, or did you just remember it when you woke up?

Ohhhh...Yes I was aware of the action as it happened.  I've never really analyzed to that degree!  I had to think about that one a while.  I would just assume that I'm always aware real time in my dreams, but maybe that's not the case.  I suppose some are only remembered upon waking.

Ellury

Quote from: EscapeVelocity on August 04, 2014, 04:31:29
Ellury-

It seems to me you are putting together a picture of how developed your NP personality is. It seems quite limited at first, but that is apparently normal; I felt the same way. Becoming aware of it is the first step, then work to nurture its development. It can show pretty quickly.

This post has helped me out a lot. I kind of questioned my actions in my LD. You know, kind of doubting if I was really lucid because of how I acted was just far off from my personality right now. It is a relief to know that the NP personality can be different.

Quote from: Lionheart on August 04, 2014, 04:41:18
Here's another thing I noticed that will probably confuse some people here. You don't necessarily have to realize that you are actually Dreaming in the Dream to become Lucid in it. You can become Lucid/aware of "your" actions. I find that sometimes just being Lucid in it and controlling your actions is enough. You can still learn things and now you are under the mindset that this is a "real time/physical existence". Which means that you are still are governed by the physical ruleset as well. Well, to a degree. Until something out of the ordinary occurs and you come to really "know" you aren't in Kansas anymore, lol.   :wink:

It is a bit confusing, but I think I have had an experience like that. I think.

Lionheart

Quote from: Ellury on August 04, 2014, 05:33:04
This post has helped me out a lot. I kind of questioned my actions in my LD. You know, kind of doubting if I was really lucid because of how I acted was just far off from my personality right now. It is a relief to know that the NP personality can be different.
First, I wanted to address your reply here Ellury. I have become aware many times in my Dreams of myself undergoing an action that is not akin with my personality. I then promptly reigned it in! Whether it was some kind of "Alter Ego", I don't know!  :?

Next, a "sticky" would be deserving of this thread. At least that's my opinion. Your last two threads are both deserving EV. I think the conversations found in this thread:(http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_projection_experiences/grass_gravel_and_an_old_friend-t44831.0.html) and this current thread here are the most interesting things we have talked about on this Forum for a while now. Well, at least different then the same questions and answers we regularly answer here on a daily basis.

I would like to keep these conversations fresh if we can. We can finally find similarities in our experiences and the way we experience them in general. That would really keep my interest peaked. :wink:

Szaxx

Well some glue fell on this one  :wink:
It's deserved as some interesting ideas have evolved that will help everyone progress.
As a reference my NP personality or ego is very different from my physical one. This alone is mostly due to the extra 'tools' developed through many experiences.
How to become aware and lucid are similar. To be aware is the basics of a dreamx if you're not you have no recall. Your subconcious does and this is where the programming is tested internally.
Assuming these internal tests are occuring and a problem occurs, the subconcious gives the experience over to the concious to rationalise and calculate the correct way to proceed. It learns from us to teach us to learn.
A conundrum but it's a strong possibility.
Now that assumed we as the concious self will automatically BECOME AWARE we are in a dream. The sequence plays through in a standard dream and we DO interact in a subdued way. A perfect example is EV stupidly high tower.
When the subconcious problem solving fails we are in a lucid dream. Total control is passed over to the concious and old subby learns fron our interactions and contril measures.
How do lucid dreams start?
We can manipulate dreams with DT's or actually program the subconcious to release it's hold on a dream and pass control over. This takes less than a second while awake but describing it is very difficult.
The other side is you just appear in a dream scene and next thing you know you're in the driving seat. If you act quickly this gives you anything you desire. If you don't, well think on how many times you've woke up THEN realised it was an LD?
Stop at this point and recall your anger and aggression. It fades fast  it's my best guess the subconcious is stressed and throws a paddy leaving you with the dream and it's EMOTIONAL state.
Food for thought.

soarin12

I project consciously 95% of the time.  I sometimes think how great it would be if I was skilled at coming at it from the other way as well -becoming lucid in a dream.  I haven't had much success with this, however.  Just in the last few days I've been reading this thread and another one about becoming lucid in dreams.  Every day that I've read and pondered, I've had 1 or 2 lucid dreams that night, either from a DT or sudden shift to full lucidity from a dream.  It's amazing what intent, affirmations and just reading something with interest can accomplish!

Szaxx

It's almost a dilemma, you can try to phase and get nowhere for weeks. You then do something different, a tiny change and you phase successfully most times in a couple of mins.
Keeping perfectly still, as we know is a mental trigger to the mind to make it THINK the body is asleep. My mistake when the usual method started to fail was moving my eyes. That tiny error I did without realising it and a dry spell occured.
Experimenting with variants on the method used, I kept perfectly still and phased within a few seconds.
Still using this method, I can on a quiet night get strong visuals in seconds once relaxed and these are like being awake looking at something in the physical.
This stillness is a sleep trigger ST and it works.

soarin12

Quote from: Szaxx on August 05, 2014, 07:01:20
My mistake when the usual method started to fail was moving my eyes. That tiny error I did without realising it and a dry spell occured.
Experimenting with variants on the method used, I kept perfectly still and phased within a few seconds.

That's interesting.  When I phase and start to get too sleepy, I think I roll my eyeballs once in order to wake myself up a little.  It works but I wonder if it resets the clock to make the process take longer.  Maybe best to wake myself with a thought instead of moving my eyes.  Sorry to get off track with the thread!

Lionheart

Quote from: soarin12 on August 05, 2014, 13:29:54
  It works but I wonder if it resets the clock to make the process take longer.  Maybe best to wake myself with a thought instead of moving my eyes. 
It does "reset" the clock for me as well. But I find it very easy to "get back in the game" again! So, no harm, no foul!  :-)

soarin12

Quote from: Lionheart on August 05, 2014, 18:40:23
It does "reset" the clock for me as well. But I find it very easy to "get back in the game" again! So, no harm, no foul!  :-)

Good to know.  I didn't even know moving the eyes 'counted' as far as not moving the body.  Seems like one of those things I used to know a long time ago but forgot!  Glad it got mentioned!

EscapeVelocity

This was just too good not to add! :-D

Last week I had a dream where I missed a dream trigger that appeared over and over. I knew afterward that the feel of my lucidity was just way too low during the dream to get the trigger, but I did remember it.

The dream was vague but I think I was staring somewhat blankly at a landscape. Just like on a website, a pesky pop-up window kept appearing in front of me. I tapped the X in the corner to make it go away. It reappeared 4 times and each time I hit the X to make it go away. finally the dream faded and I drifted deeper into sleep.

The pop-up said this-

Do you know you are dreaming?

-O. Wilde

Nameless

Ah-hahaha. I read this one last night but it was late. I should have read the other one first then this one. lol

Both times I almost die laughing over the airplane and other triggers. I'm automatically reminded of a simulation where I actually steered a big yellow rubber raft. My God that was fun. I had to zoom around and find people who had been wrapped in some kind of sack and release them. I had a lot of fun landing on rooftops, in yards, diving under clotheslines and hanging on for dear life. :-)

The thing is I didn't even think about how to steer it I just jumped in and took off. There were some kind of 'creatures' roaming around trapping people and stuffing them into hiding places, like closets and such. I had to find them and release them. At one point I had to rush a few people into the raft and make a mad dash to escape with them. I lost a few when they tumbled out. They were okay though and at least now they were awake and aware that they were in danger of falling back asleep and being captured again so they had a running start.

I'm not sure if I can identify any dream triggers. This was back when I just jumped in with both feet and did whatever was required without a thought. It's only now I've ever even questioned the how's and why's.
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.