News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Lucid Weirdness

Previous topic - Next topic

lucid dancer

Triss!  Welcome to the club!  What you have mentioned seems more like a blessing than a problem.  Whoever brought up the 360 degree vision made a good point. It is a little nausiating and weird at first, but it's something you get used to with practice.  If using the 'hands technique' works for you, you might want to consider keeping it going.  There are other tricks you can use to become lucid.  You can use affirmations and reality checks.  I could go into detail with these, but they're fairly self explanatory.  The main thing about it is to make a habbit out of doing something in waking life and it will carry over in dreams (or in projections).  Work on your memory skills and believe!

reclining orb

The following mental exercise can help you adjust to 360-degree view, I think.
It came to me in a dream, so it may have some validity.

Sit or stand somewhere and imagine that you have a second body growing out of you that is back to back with you.  This body has a face that looks the exact opposite direction, extra arms, and extra legs but the two torsos are joined.  Think of Hindu images of multi-armed, multi-faced deities.

The exercise is to move the awareness limbs and physical limbs in unision.  This gets tricky.  If your left physical arm goes forward, so does your right awareness arm behind you. It is best not to think in such terms as "front-left" and "back-right".   Just divide yourself along your center line into a left half and a right half.  All movement in a half stays within that half.  

Start by moving only one limb.  First make the physical limb the master and make the awareness limb the slave.  Move always in synchrony.  Then reverse the process; initiating motion in the awareness limb, making  the physical limb the slave.  

I think this will help you stabilize the possibilities within 360 awareness.  

Triss

Orb:   This came to you in a dream? Very interesting...although it does sound a bit tricky, it seems to make sense somehow.  I'll give it a try tonight.  

Thanks very much http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile.gif" border=0>

reclining orb

Triss,
You're very welcome.

The suggestion to create additional, backward-facing limbs was something that a mental voice told me during one of my recent lucid dreams to help me with a problem.   When you described your difficulty with unstable awareness, I immediately got the feeling that you might benefit from the same suggestion.  

Best wishes.

Triss

Quick update on Orb's technique:

Finding it a bit more difficult than I though it would be.  Usually I have no trouble with imagination-type exercises but I'm finding it hard to visualize seeing all around myself.  Having trouble maintaining awareness of full-astral body reversal, a leg here, an arm there, or the head by itself,  but not all at once.  Having intermittent pain during practice which leads me to suspect a belief-system conflict or something like that.  

*sigh*  A bit tedious to work those out sometimes.  Doesn't help not having a clue yet what the problem could be...

reclining orb

Triss,

I wish i had more personal experience with your problem, but I've read about it in Casteneda's books.  He called it "immaturity of the energy body."  (or nearly those words).  That phrase meant that the energy body is interested in everything and flits about from object to object with no control until it develops.  He  was even given a practice for fighting exactly that problem.  The practice consisted of keeping his dreaming-attention still on one scene by moving his awareness around the scene in a loop.  He would choose several items in the scene (including his hands) and glance at each of them in quick succession.  He repeated the pattern many times, preventing the dream from advancing.  Since you are using his hand technique, I figured you may want to use his follow-up technique.

There is a reason i don't recommend that you go "gangbusters" down that path.  It can lead to a state where the concious mind has silenced the subconscious mind.  This leaves the conscious mind the undisputed king of the dream environment, but at what a price.  Development in this direction is like a child holding fingers in her ears and saying, "Na na na na na, I can't hear you"  The prize is that you'll get to play alone in your room.  That is also the punishment.  I say that because, even though I traveled a different road, I pretty much got to that point and I know what that's like.  I had years where I dreamed lucidly almost every night.  It got in the way eventually.  Stepping away from the reward/punishment analogy, I'd say it's like a child directing a movie.  That can be cute, but becomes annoyingly juvenile over time.  That job is best left on a permanent basis to the adults.  The dreamer's role is to act and learn more than to direct.  (Learning about directing is useful, though) Investigate his training, but be aware that it might not be the best long-term solution.  That's my two cents worth on that.

Other ideas for you:

I focus on the physical sensation of multiple appendages.  Not on seeing all around me.  To stabilize walking, a feeling of extra legs is useful.  To stabilize sight, I think the FEELING of an extra point of view is enough.  You don't have to SEE out of that point of view.  Feel the POTENTIAL to see.  Like having  eyes that are closed.  You can feel the sight that WOULD well-up from them if you were to open them.  

Thinking about it this way I probably have 4 points of view "on tap" / by that I mean I can feel their potential/  at the same time.  Straight ahead, 15 degrees left, 15 degrees right and Straight behind.  Not a feeling of four sets of eyes; just a feeling at all times that I might look in any of those directions without preamble.

Hope that helps,
orb

Triss

Hello everyone!

Newbie here, I'll try not to be too annoying http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/images/icon_Smile_wink.gif" border=0> This seems a very interesting  and unique site. Maybe someone here will have heard of this lucid dreaming problem I've encountered.

I've had limited success with attempts at lucid dreaming, (with one recent incredible exception, hopefully not the last!) One of the difficulties I repeatedly encountered is the following weird "effect" for lack of a better word.

A few years ago I began trying Castaneda's famous 'looking at hands' technique.  Astonishingly, it worked immediately, every time. (Beginners luck maybe? lol)  At a certain point in dreaming, I'd remember to look at my hands and become lucid. Almost right away, my viewpoint would begin flipping back and forth in a very disorienting manner.  Front view, back view, floor view, ceiling view, very quickly flickering back and forth. This caused me to wake up pretty fast, very frustrating.  I gave up using the 'hands' techique because of this although I'm not sure that really had anything to do with it.   Someone once put forth the theory that during OBE and dreaming we may have 360 degree vision, obviously not being encumbered by a body in these states.  The person who suggested this thought perhaps my inexperience with this 360 degree vision caused the flipping sensation in some way. Unfortunately they had no idea as to how to overcome it.  I have of course surfed around/researched other materials for info and found no other reference to this particular problem.  It's too bad because as I said, this technique worked every time in terms of becoming lucid.  The other spectacular lucid dream was, I believe, a lucky WILD.

Anyhow, just thought I'd try checking if anyone here might have any knowledge/practical information on this perplexing problem.

Thanks!