News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Placebo Effect

Previous topic - Next topic

LightBeam

I am at a clinical research conference and today one of the topics was increasing placebo response in clinical trials. Everyone was panicking because the statistics show that in the past 10 years the placebo response has been increasing progressively to almost 50 % in many studies. That makes the drugs non aprovable. So, everyone was shaking their heads, thinking how to solve this problem. And I was secretly smiling and thinking in my head " way to go earthlings,  you are learning how to manifest things hrough high expectations and high degree of belief". This is just a small example of  how strong beliefs work and change things that logically can't be changed, especially when there is no intervention, just the thoughts alone.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Nameless

That is awesome! I remember a few discussions I've had about the placebo effect over the years. I thought it was great but seems others thought different. I'm like whether the pill worked or your thoughts made it work, either way IT WORKED!

I find the word itself interesting. Placebo - I will please. I wonder if the medical profession or whoever came up with using this word knew its meaning or origin. To use a word with a meaning like that and then doubt its effectiveness. Kind of funny.

So what was the conclusion? Perhaps how to convince people the drug in question (excuse me, the placebo) didn't work. Does present a conundrum doesn't it?
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.

Volgerle

I still wonder when they will change the term for what it really is: "mind/energy healing".

But in their internal logic and dogma they could never do this because in their world-view these things don't exist. But the Placebo effect which is the same thing with a different name does. What a joke.

:evil:

LightBeam

Quote from: Nameless on January 26, 2019, 04:21:11

So what was the conclusion? Perhaps how to convince people the drug in question (excuse me, the placebo) didn't work. Does present a conundrum doesn't it?

The instructions to be given to the doctors who enroll the patients are to provide neutral information about the tested drug and not to hype its potential efficacy and set high expectations. The patients are to be told that no one knows if it will work or not. However, this has been the practice. No one per my observations over the years has been setting up high expectations to the patients. All doctors and their staff are usually very careful of providing information about experimental drugs, because the truth is no one knows how they will work until tested. So, this placebo effect trend is not as a result of advertising. To me it seems like  inner growth slowly accelerating through the masses. As Volgerle mentioned, this is in fact Energy Healing, whether people realize it or not that it is happening to them. Science will never understand its origins or mechanism unless they are willing to accept the existence of non-physical laws and further investigate.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Nameless

Quote from: LightBeam on January 27, 2019, 23:58:38
To me it seems like  inner growth slowly accelerating through the masses. As Volgerle mentioned, this is in fact Energy Healing, whether people realize it or not that it is happening to them. Science will never understand its origins or mechanism unless they are willing to accept the existence of non-physical laws and further investigate.

Exactly this!
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.

Dragonscrying

Quote from: LightBeam on January 26, 2019, 02:46:57
I am at a clinical research conference and today one of the topics was increasing placebo response in clinical trials. Everyone was panicking because the statistics show that in the past 10 years the placebo response has been increasing progressively to almost 50 % in many studies. That makes the drugs non aprovable. So, everyone was shaking their heads, thinking how to solve this problem. And I was secretly smiling and thinking in my head " way to go earthlings,  you are learning how to manifest things hrough high expectations and high degree of belief". This is just a small example of  how strong beliefs work and change things that logically can't be changed, especially when there is no intervention, just the thoughts alone.

I believe for every dimension, there is another.

Psychogenic effects can also lead to nocebo, or electromagnetic hypersensitivity manifesting negative adverse expectations.

Hidden variables in applying a probabilistic, (chance), replica to explain the outcome.

I feel one "chooses" from what has already been chosen for them.

GrumpyRabbit

It's a real effect, but it has lots of limits!

"Another way to think about it: Placebos tweak our experience of symptoms, not their underlying causes. "

"In all the objectively measurable illnesses, like cancer, even heart disease, there are components of it that are not [objectively measurable]," Kaptchuk says. And it's those symptoms that are the prime targets to treat with placebo.

Placebo can only help symptoms that can be modulated by the mind. "There are real limits to what you can condition," Miller says. You can't, for example, condition the cancer-killing effects of chemotherapy. Our bodies don't produce cancer-killing chemicals."

"When I first started studying placebo effects, it kind of seemed like magic — for some reason, your brain mimicked a drug response," Wager says. "The biggest change in this field in the last 15 years is that neuroscientists are beginning to uncover the underlying neural mechanisms that create the placebo response."

Placebos, researchers have found, actually prompt the release of opioids and other endorphins (chemicals that reduce pain) in the brain. Other findings:

Drugs that negate the effects of opioids — such as naloxone — also counteract the placebo effect, which shows that placebos are indeed playing on the brain's natural pain management circuitry."

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/7/15792188/placebo-effect-explained?fbclid=IwAR3U0BVpyWtwKsuX9RFaqSk7CjfC98PymN9BpW1GNrspJLIJBUdMotEXozI

Dragonscrying

Quote from: GrumpyRabbit on January 21, 2021, 17:01:46
It's a real effect, but it has lots of limits!

"Another way to think about it: Placebos tweak our experience of symptoms, not their underlying causes. "

"In all the objectively measurable illnesses, like cancer, even heart disease, there are components of it that are not [objectively measurable]," Kaptchuk says. And it's those symptoms that are the prime targets to treat with placebo.

Placebo can only help symptoms that can be modulated by the mind. "There are real limits to what you can condition," Miller says. You can't, for example, condition the cancer-killing effects of chemotherapy. Our bodies don't produce cancer-killing chemicals."

"When I first started studying placebo effects, it kind of seemed like magic — for some reason, your brain mimicked a drug response," Wager says. "The biggest change in this field in the last 15 years is that neuroscientists are beginning to uncover the underlying neural mechanisms that create the placebo response."

Placebos, researchers have found, actually prompt the release of opioids and other endorphins (chemicals that reduce pain) in the brain. Other findings:

Drugs that negate the effects of opioids — such as naloxone — also counteract the placebo effect, which shows that placebos are indeed playing on the brain's natural pain management circuitry."

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/7/15792188/placebo-effect-explained?fbclid=IwAR3U0BVpyWtwKsuX9RFaqSk7CjfC98PymN9BpW1GNrspJLIJBUdMotEXozI

~

Article was well detailed and informative, Thank-You GrumpyRabbit

QuoteWe get cues about how we should respond to pain — and medicine — from our environments.

nocebo (Latin nocēbō, "I shall harm", from noceō, "I harm")

placebo (Latin placēbō, "I shall please", from placeō, "I please")

Obversely connected they are.

What if a treatment is potentially life-threatening?

It's important for the person to understand such a serious risk, but what if not telling them reduced the risk that it would actually be life-threatening?

GrumpyRabbit

Quote from: Dragonscrying on January 21, 2021, 22:54:27
~

What if a treatment is potentially life-threatening?

It's important for the person to understand such a serious risk, but what if not telling them reduced the risk that it would actually be life-threatening?

You may be interested in more of Kaptchuk's research =)

https://1d804da3-64cf-40e3-a663-5049093d8d87.filesusr.com/ugd/b87e84_af315416aaf847ec876b426697e7d8e0.pdf

Dragonscrying

Quote from: GrumpyRabbit on January 21, 2021, 23:18:29
You may be interested in more of Kaptchuk's research =)

https://1d804da3-64cf-40e3-a663-5049093d8d87.filesusr.com/ugd/b87e84_af315416aaf847ec876b426697e7d8e0.pdf

~

Many Thanks GrumpyRabbit.

Well crafted article.... for those only knowing "safe" middle.

I see a Totally skewered moral compass, absent of "true north".

Dr.'s telling truthful lies... so the Dr. can live.

Self-manifestation can be weighty, making for a disharmonic balance.

"Two doors to choose from, but only one has your name."
(Monster Magnet - Space Lord)