News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

difference between good and evil

Previous topic - Next topic

loppoppy

I'm just curious on peoples thoughts on what separates good from evil. What are their main differences. are they opposites or enemies? things like that.

appreciate any replies in advance thank you.
for what shall it profit a man if he is to gain the world and lose his own soul?

El-Bortukali

i see them as  ying and yang.
without one of them chaos follows and everything is destroyed.
Tá mo chroí istigh ionat

loppoppy

chaos follows the destruction of one or the other.

that must put evil at an advantage...to spread chaos it has the choice of tempting good to destroying evil and the choice to just try and destroy good.
all good can do is defend whatever it can. do you think that's right?
for what shall it profit a man if he is to gain the world and lose his own soul?

kai wren

I don't believe in good and evil.

Every action can be perceived as good in some light, every action can be perceived as evil, it all depends upon which perceptions you use for the moment.

Good and Evil implies there are absolutes, there are no absolutes. There is no enemy, anywhere.

MisterJingo

I pretty much agree with kai wren. Everything is relative to the observer. Just look at human history, the scale of what is considered evil at any point is generally dictated by the morals of that given time and society,

Things just 'are'. It's us who give them meaning.

Nay

So you don't think that Jeffery Dahmer represented evil?

Maybe it's just me, but for a year or so, I've been seeing  a definite line being drawn between, good and evil.  Maybe we should say, good and bad.. evil sounds so...evil.  :lol:

El-Bortukali

Nope. i would say,Bush represents evil.
Tá mo chroí istigh ionat

Nay

Oh brother..   So you are seriously saying that Bush represents evil more than Dahmer?  I wish people would just get over the whole hate Bush thing.  It's so old and mostly made up propaganda from the media, but whatever, you keep on hating.  I'm sure this will help fix the problems in the world. :roll:

MisterJingo

Quote from: NaySo you don't think that Jeffery Dahmer represented evil?

Maybe it's just me, but for a year or so, I've been seeing  a definite line being drawn between, good and evil.  Maybe we should say, good and bad.. evil sounds so...evil.  :lol:

Ok. An example of this can be seen in early societies where ritual sacrifice and cabalism were the norm. Such things were not evil to those societies, yet to our own they are.
All that's changed is our perception of the acts.
An act is an act, nothing more, we interpret and classify it.

Is killing an animal wrong?
Is killing a human wrong?

Asking people such questions would never generate a uniform response. Are some of the possible replies more 'right' than others? Who has the authority to state which is right/wrong, good/evil ?
People usually reply to such things with statements such as one inherently knows good from bad. Yet they don't address to what extent that is a cultural phenomenon.

Perhaps something more relevant to modern times is that one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. It's all relative to individual perception (which in most cases is driven by the moral climate of their current society).

I guess people like the good/evil absolutes as it simplifies everything, rather than having to work within a framework of infinite shades of grey.

Oh brother.. So you are seriously saying that Bush represents evil more than Dahmer? I wish people would just get over the whole hate Bush thing. It's so old and mostly made up propaganda from the media, but whatever, you keep on hating. I'm sure this will help fix the problems in the world.

Hehe, this is a case in point :grin:. Some people do honestly believe bush is the personification of evil, just as some see him as Gods hand.

Nay

I have a feeling this could turn out to be a very lengthy discussion that will never have a satisfying end for either side.  So, I'll say I absolutely see things as good or bad. :grin:  I think it's that simple.  

But however, I do believe we have to have both, or no one would learn any kind of moral lesson... uh oh, I just brought up morals.. oh geez.. that's gonna add a day or two of discussion.. :lol:

According to the laws of attraction.   Bush was elected because everyone couldn't stop hating him.. hehe.  Think about it.  Why do you think everyone was dismayed that he won and by such close margins.  It wasn't ballet stuffing and all that conspiracy business.  It was all of the people whom hated him, that couldn't stop sending out thoughts about him.  Stop thinking about the things you don't want, or you are going to bring them right to you.  :grin:

MisterJingo

Quote from: NayI have a feeling this could turn out to be a very lengthy discussion that will never have a satisfying end for either side.  So, I'll say I absolutely see things as good or bad. :grin:  I think it's that simple.  

But however, I do believe we have to have both, or no one would learn any kind of moral lesson... uh oh, I just brought up morals.. oh geez.. that's gonna add a day or two of discussion.. :lol:

Lol, I agree it could turn into a discussion with no ultimate answer (just a lot of aching fingers :grin:). I guess one way of looking at it is, on the largest scale, death is but a belief system in this physical locale – we see it so seriously because we cannot see outside this 'box' of biological programming. For example, what truly is death to an eternal being? As mentioned in other posts, all emotions and such states are ultimately illusions. Things just 'are'. Everything just 'is'. To quote the beatles (hehe):

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy.
There's nothing you can make that can't be made.
No one you can save that can't be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be in time
It's easy.
<snip>

There's nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
It's easy.
<snip>

According to the laws of attraction.   Bush was elected because everyone couldn't stop hating him.. hehe.  Think about it.  Why do you think everyone was dismayed that he won and by such close margins.  It wasn't ballet stuffing and all that conspiracy business.  It was all of the people whom hated him, that couldn't stop sending out thoughts about him.  Stop thinking about the things you don't want, or you are going to bring them right to you.  :grin:

:lol:.

loppoppy

if the whole concept of good and evil is just perspective and the emotions we experience through our life just illusions...I fail to see a point to life at all. Everything we do in our lifetime is pointless if all it creates are perceptions and illusions. Well thats just how I would feel if i believed that.

kai wren

Everything is perception, yes, but how does this detract from life?

The human body and mind is only equipped to process a tiny, tiny fraction of the data that this universe throws at us. This is a fact, but life is all about experiences, good and evil, even reality, doesn't come into life.

My philosophy is simple- live life to the full, try and experience as much as possible, if one experiences much, and thinks much, and explores as many perceptions as possible, that is a life full of enrichment and wonder.

Life is what you make it, what you perceive it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

So try and perceive the best life possible for you, and your life will be 'good'

Or not.

loppoppy

oh my goodness i'm so sorry I don't know what i was thinking typing that post how could I of bin so stupid. your absolutely right and what was previously said is correct also. I don't know how i got so confused with myself. I am practically laughing at how stupid I am...

very well said by the way and thank you for arguing whatever point i thought i had and thank you for the quick reply also.  :S

MisterJingo

Quote from: loppoppyif the whole concept of good and evil is just perspective and the emotions we experience through our life just illusions...I fail to see a point to life at all. Everything we do in our lifetime is pointless if all it creates are perceptions and illusions. Well thats just how I would feel if i believed that.

I really don't think there is any point to life other than what we give it.
If you follow a more spiritual perspective, then in such circumstances the point of life would be experience. Every combination of every event experienced in every conceivable way. The universe exploring itself etc.

MisterJingo

Quote from: loppoppyoh my goodness i'm so sorry I don't know what i was thinking typing that post how could I of bin so stupid. your absolutely right and what was previously said is correct also. I don't know how i got so confused with myself. I am practically laughing at how stupid I am...

very well said by the way and thank you for arguing whatever point i thought i had and thank you for the quick reply also.  :S

Hey loppoppy,

Some advice I would give to anyone looking for meaning is to find your own meaning :smile:. If there is any ultimate truth, I don't think anyone has found it yet. All that is out there is a lot of opinions and beliefs.
Listen to other ideas, but ultimately, keep an open mind and choose what you want to believe based upon your own experience :smile:.

kai wren

Quoteoh my goodness i'm so sorry I don't know what i was thinking typing that post how could I of bin so stupid. your absolutely right and what was previously said is correct also. I don't know how i got so confused with myself. I am practically laughing at how stupid I am...

very well said by the way and thank you for arguing whatever point i thought i had and thank you for the quick reply also. :S

No problem, friend! I just felt I should clarify what was previously said- I am glad to have enlightened you, though really you shouldn't be so hard on yourself! Many people don't even consider good and evil in their lives; you are not stupid merely for holding an opinion other than mine!

loppoppy

misterjingo,

your advice of course makes a lot of sense so in response i will be glad to take it. Thank you very much. In my short time here i have learnt so much already i only hope my knowledge and logic continues to grow through these very cool discussions.

kai wren,

throughout life, like most people, I have heard many stories where good and evil clash and battle to the finish. I can now appreciate the beauty of these stories as such a thing is rare maybe even impossible in real life. My opinion was based on the belief that good and evil are a force that battle throughout our lives in mysterious ways. From what you said to me I understand that this is true, though good and evil are not so much force but perception which can be just as powerful. I hope that makes sense.

ubiquitous

liveevil devillived just words

good:evil  talk is restrictive and war like

but if i had to be honest I would say i'm 90% good 10% evil the 10% is used when people aren'nt good to me but this balance has changed throughout my life, due to some unfortunate situations it used to be a bit more 50/50.

jilola

The concept of good and evil is not as clear cut and simple as it seems at first glance.
In some societies honour killing is a virtue. In others eating the deceased relative is an honour.

What is to be understood is that an action in and of itself is just an action. It only becomes good or bad when put into a particular context of both prevalent social and moral codifications and the people involved in the action and its consequences.

Killing a guy at the mall is a crime, kiling a guy in war is being a hero. Same action, same result, different valuation as to good or evil.

The ultimate criterion inmy opinion is the answer to the question "Does the act prevent another from expressing him/herself to the best of his/her ability?"

All said and done, there is no absolute good or absolute evil.

2cents & L&L
Jouni

James S

Quote from: jilola
The ultimate criterion inmy opinion is the answer to the question "Does the act prevent another from expressing him/herself to the best of his/her ability?"
That's very beautifully put!

This takes away from subjective value judgements and gives to more objective thoughts of "what works and is best for all involved and what doesn't work and isn't best for all involved"

Blessings,
James.

kizzyboy328

To me good and evil are both the same yet different.

Without Evil good cannot exist because to me good is to apposed evil but if there is no evil then there shall be no good.

also evil cannot exist without good, if there was no good in the world then evil would have nothing to appose, therefore we all would live in evil and think that it is regular life...

thus creating a balance of good, and evil...Yin and Yang

But what happens if the balance is tipped in favor of good, or of evil....

That is a day i hope i never see.
In bed my real love has always been the sleep that rescued me by allowing me to dream.

WindGod

Quote from: El-BortukaliNope. i would say,Bush represents evil.

Nope, i would say, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi still represents evil even after his death.

Bush is good because he is wiping out the Islamo- Extremest animals.

I would like to see Islamic scholars denounce  Al Z as the murdering sadistic insane psychopath that he was.

I would like to see Islamic spiritual leaders announce that Al Z was a criminal and that he will NOT reap some kind of perverted heaven world reward for his atrocious acts against humanity and that he will instead experience the harshest of punishments in his afterlife.
Are weather forcasters psychic?

kai wren

Bush killing evil does not intrinsically make Bush Good. Bush has also done more to attack the very basis of your country than any other president that I know of.

Nazi's killed Communists, does that make them good?

WindGod

OK, then how about,

people who are doing human trafficking (modern day slavery) and people in the heroin trade are evil.

The actions of these people cause indescribable harm and misery to others.

One of Adrian's recent letters mentions that evil is a human problem caused by humans.

Humanity needs to strengthen the law and justice system.

The lack of Law and Order is evil? Failing to take responsibility is evil?
Are weather forcasters psychic?