News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Would you say it is fair...

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceriel N

One who remains silent agrees! I'll take this as a "yes". [:P]
"We work in the dark - we do what we can- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James

kakkarot

well what do you mean? do you mean if a person sees magic to be the cause of love, are they further progressed that someone who merely sees magic as fictional?

or do you mean, if a person can see magical energies within trees and vehicles, are they more advanced that someone who can merely see the energy in trees?

i guess i am mainly confused as to whether you mean they "see" magic in metaphorical/philosophical things or actual physical things.

~kakkarot

Ceriel N

Ah, gomen nasai. Shold have pointed out that I ment 'see' in an abstract sense.
Ergo, to sense something magical about the beauty of nature. To realize that magicians built the microwave oven. To see human relations as something mystic etc.
"We work in the dark - we do what we can- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James

Aristoles

theres nothing "mystical" about nature.
And how the hell can you see energy in trees?Thats like seeing the atoms in trees,and energy is even smaller

Ceriel N

Every time I see the sun set I see a great and colorful display of magic.

But I have never seen an atom. What I have seen is the effects of them. I know that the colors in the sunset is due to the photogenic effect, which is a phenomena of quantum physics. Quantum physics is thus in my mind full of potential for creating something beautiful. =)

Energy is mass and motion. Therefore a political movement is full of energy. This energy is ruled by the tendencies of sociology. Is not this transcendence from the teoretical and objective to the human and subjective something mystic in itself?
- Henry James

kakkarot

ah, well then i would have to answer you're original question with: no, i don't believe it is fair to judge the progress of a practicioner by how many things they philosophically see magic in [|)].

after all, not all practicioners care about the spirituality aspects of magical practice, and if someone can summon lightning bolts on command even if they don't give a crap one way or the other about anything beyond their precious lightning bolts, i still could not see how they could NOT be considered to be OVERALL more advanced than a person who merely sees a magical connection within (for your example [|)]) human relationships.

if, on the other hand, you are merely talking about spirituality progress, then certainly the kinds of things that a person sees magic to "reside within" is A marker of their progress (though certainly not the only one [|)]) and should be considered, but not used as the final decision maker.

that's my answer :)

~kakkarot

Tisha

Actually, Ceriel, you are on to something.  Keep up the good work [;)]

Basically, magicians who can throw thunderbolts but who do not give a crap only exist in the movies.

Magic is, partially at least, an exercise in seeing properly.
Tisha

Ceriel N

I have figured out over the past few days something that I think is very important in the practice of magic:
Action. To act.

A long time ago I sensed it, and now I know it. - Action carries us further than thought. I can ponder, contemplate and intellectualize all I want, but unless I act not only shall I remain ignorant, but will never make a differance.

Action is what bridges spirt to body, and if we can learn to act rather than reacting, then we will be free. To act without reacting, one has to pay attention to one's intuition and not confuse it with the mind. One has to have the will to act on it.

To me, this is a piece that makes many other parts of the puzzle fall into place. I guess this realization initiates me into the actual practice of magic. [:)]
- Henry James

pod3

It is all science and evolution. We just experiment with extra senses.

Ceriel N

Sciense rests on the shoulders of philosophy. A philosopher is bound to eventually end up a mystic. A mystic in activity is a mage, and a mage is a scientist. [^]

But still, that is only the objective part of existence. The other part, the subjective one, is what we call 'life'. Up until recently I have been more dead than alive, but now I see what I've been lacking and maybe, just maybe, I can practice magic as an art. [:)]

(Awareness -> spirit -> subjectivity -> intuition -> muse -> creatvity -> art. Or someting in those lines.)
- Henry James

Ceriel N

...to judge the progress of a practitioner by the things he/she sees magic in?

After all, you have to recognize it to use it. So one can also ask, does magic lie in recognition?
- Henry James