News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Familiars

Previous topic - Next topic

beavis

The Bard

I never read about familiars except when they are mentioned in stories. I have had familiars though. When I was an infant a cat named Mrs. Owl moved in on my mom and dumped a retarded kitten at her feet. My Nana told my mom that I was a little witch and that she knew me from another life. She too was adopted by many cats. My mom told me the cat neglected the kitten and took over my crib. Up until the year she died that cat fallowed me everywhere and tried to keep me out of trouble. She died because she tried to keep me from running in front of a car. She was side swiped and had a limp. My parents didn't take her to the vet and she died. My Nana died that year too. I now have a 15 year old cat named Luna who is Mrs. Owl reincarnated.

Cats and the animals I live with communicate with body language and intuition. If you get adopted by an animal that seems more human than animal than you are in luck. You have been blessed with a familiar.

kiauma

I was once blessed with a very unusual cat who had a profound effect on my life.  I don't know if she was a familiar per se, but there was definitely a spiritual connection there that I have never had with any other animal.

She wasn't my cat, actually, she was more my ex's, if she was anybody's. Actually, now that I think about it, she really was the first member of our family, the family that we had.

It all started when we started, quite literally. I had met my first wife in a whirlwind sort of way that put us in a shared duplex within two months of our meeting each other. The day we moved in, we noticed weak mewling noises coming from the garage of the house next door, which was vacant. After some calling around, we were able to get someone to come out the next day to open the garage. Inside was a litter of abandoned kittens in a ratty cardboard box. Lucky we had heard them, we were told, as the last tenants had left the week before.

Indeed, though they were mature kittens, they were starved and dehydrated. The runt of the litter and the weakest, a tiny little black female, actually had one ear half gnawed off by the others.

They were all very glad to be rescued except the runt, who responded in fierce terror when picked up, then scooted into a dark corner and didn't want to come out.

I was heading out to get my thick work gloves, but Lisa (my ex) held me back, and asked for patience. She went and got a saucer of milk, set it on the floor, and sat down cross-legged a ways from it, and waited. The kitten was timid but very hungry, creeping out with ears flattened only to skitter back again. Each time the small saucer was empty I would put some more milk in, and Lisa would move in a little closer.

She sat practically all day, calling patiently for the tiny weak kitten to come out. It was right there, watching her show such infinite patience and caring, that I first knew that I was in love with Lisa.  I would think of that often many years later...

We nursed them all back to health and even found homes for them, except for the runt who found a home with us. She was christened 'Rebels', for her independent spirit, after the Bowie
song 'Rebel Rebel'.

Rebels was a strange cat to say the least. She was kind of our shadow - she led a very 'stealth' existence. Her favorite place was under our bed, where she slept practically all day. In the evening she would come out to stretch, eat, get some love, and go to work patrolling the house. She protected us from mice in Nevada, Cockroaches in Mississippi, and our pet bird in Virginia.  Many of our friends were surprised to find we had a cat, even after knowing us for months.

She did not 'move' well, which was unfortunate as I was in the military, and after the military my career demanded I move yet again. In one 12 month period I was able to list 9 addresses. We thought we lost her in Mississippi, slipping out a window on our second day there. She came back to us exactly 30 days later, a little disheveled, but otherwise none the worse for wear. She had one litter of kittens, and then we had her spayed.

She was extremely neat. If she was eating and some food slipped off the side of the dish, she would scoot it under the edge of the plate with her paw. She was smart too, it didn't take her long to teach herself how to catch a claw on the sliding screen door to pull it open and let herself out. She was always a binding presence for Lisa and I, from sharing the fireplace with us at night, to her riding on my shoulder whenever we loaded up the car and moved to a new state. She shared our lives for the next eleven years. We had many, many adventures together.

Despite her oddly conscious behavior, looking in her eyes was like staring into a deep self-contained universe of stars, comets, and jungle covered planets. She may have been capable of some very people-ish things, but her presence was all cat.

In the end, though, things went badly for Lisa and I. One dark July it was made clear to me that Lisa needed some 'space'. I agreed to move out. Shortly after I asked to take one of the cats for company, and to control the mice in my new digs. Lisa offered Rebels, but I did not want to separate Rebels from her home.

Lisa had bought a puppy for the children, to cheer them up, I guess. I next saw Rebels in the garage on one of my visits, peering out from between some boxes. "Don't worry Rebs," I said. "We'll be back together in no time." In the following month things only got darker. Lisa decided she wanted a divorce. A week later I went to have a meeting with her, to try one last time to work it out. We talked, but she finally said that she "just couldn't do it."

The next day she called to talk to me about a visit with the kids. Then her voice became soft for a moment as she regretfully told me something that strangely I wasn't too surprised to hear. Rebels was dead, killed by a desert coyote.

I had recieved a powerful vision that night in a dream, you see, of a cat, walking by me, and away. I don't know if it was Rebels - did I ever really know Rebels?  Rebels was all black - but the cat in my dream, she was pure light...

I'll never forget her, and how we all came together in our common woundedness to make one hell of a great go at it, in a tragic irony following the spirit of her name to the letter. We almost made it - lasted over ten years - but in the end even her magic wasn't enough to keep us together.

But she tried.  She really gave it her all...

Non semper ea sunt quae videntur.

Aries

I dont know much about familiars besides what I read from roleplaying books...  [:D]

Although I once owned a Pug that had almost a telepathic link with me. He was lost eventually, but now I have a new Pug, and I think he may be the reincarnate of my first one....
Does anyone know a way to bond your self with a animal to make it a familiar?

Also I once had a cat that was linked with me I think...
I would say its name and it would come runnin to me, if it jumped on the counter I would say down and it would jump down. I could say its name and it would meow back to me.. it was very smart and friendly. Unfortunatly some jackass stole her from me..
-Aries
How can the spoon know the taste of soup?

Ekron

Familiars are normally assigned to you via. the familiars superior spirit be it an angel, demon etc.

Higher spirits normally have legions of spirits under their command which they can assign as a familiar to the magician.

Personally I would not accept the assigning of such a familiar for you must have a very strong will so as not to be deceived or even worse possessed by this spirit. This would not happen if the spirit was angelic but goetic spirits could try and adversly influence a novice magician.

There is an interesting account of such an occurance in Ebenezer Sibly's book "A New and Complete Illustration of the Occult Sciences" (1790) (I think may be available to read on the net on the Sacred Texts site). A one Thomas Perks who in the early 18th century who probably out of idle curiosity called upon spirits which he believed to be angels. In fact all went well until he accepted their familiars. These then started to appear (and I quote) "...as serpents, lions, bears etc, hissing at him and attempting to throw spears and balls of fire..." He could not control them and eventually through absolute terror he became ill and eventually this illness took his life.

I firmly believe if one must use familiar spirits and I don't just mean your family pet, make sure your intensions are honorable and you have clear objectives as to their use. Most of all make sure you have a steadfast willpower that is unshakable whatever may come before thee.

AzireDragonSpirit

I believe my familiar would be my lizard.Its a Bearded Dragon and everytime time I look into his eyes it is like this wierd connection that only we have.Also,whenever I go into the Astral Realm I have noticed an actuall dragon that has followed me throughout my journeys and I get the same exact feeling from my bearded dragon as I do the dragon from the astral realm.

kiauma

Non semper ea sunt quae videntur.

Aries

That would be wierd to have your pet follow you into the astal..
-Aries
How can the spoon know the taste of soup?

kiwikisses1524

i've read a couple of things about familiars and i just need to know how to find out and (if possible) communicate with them Thanks