News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Great Books!

Previous topic - Next topic

Spider Circus

The Voynich Manuscript ... most excellent.  A must have for any true Magickians library in my opinion.  Why?  Because roger Bacon was obsessive compulsive and the Ms. is written in an obsessive compulsive loop.  Making it highly evocative, even if you don't know why until you go Astral.

Crowley was a man, yes, and therefore a fool.  But all fools are wise.  If anyone believes this man was just a drug addled idiot, they need to read through his material again.  Better than he though are his 3 primary students.  A. O. Spare, Kenneth Grant, and John W. Parsons.

Waite was a Christian fundementalist who intentionally translated magickal texts wrong, anyone who reads this mans work should do so for intellectual reasons only.  He was a bitter jack-butt in my opinion.

Mathers and Levi are both good material, but too lop-sided for exclusive practice.  Okay, if you want to be a preachy broke-butt fruit seller though.

The Necronomicon, whose author is Stephen Sennit by the way, is not a bad read either but I would suggest that if you find this material evocative you just read the Gilgamesh Epics and other Babylonian and Sumerian mythos.  Sennit and another dude named Staley have some interesting excrement floating around.

John Dee's stuff is pretty interesting, I have just recently finished studying his material.  He should be studied with Crowley's material on Enochian, and Kenneth Grants Astral revelations.

I also recommend the prophecies of Revelation, Nostradamus.  The Authurian Mythos of the Graal, the Edda's, and Egyptian and Sumerian mythology.

I personally, do not share the dislike of the Left-Hand path I have noticed among many on this board.  I have followed it for many years to no personal harm.  Evocation does not have to be dangerous and can be highly enlightening.  I learned an organic approach to Magick while studying with the Hiada Indians on the coast of BC.  They teach an emphasis on astral travel, spirit communion, and the use of sex and drugs in magick.  I am 27, have practiced for the last 5 years and write for several online magazines regarding the subject and have been asked to write a book outlining my approach to the Great Art.
  The LHP has provided me with a comfortable life and ridiculous income which in turn allowed me to spend the last 3 years studying the subject I love exclusively, like taking a university course in magick.  The tantric's teach the best approach to sex magick in opinion as well as many useful avenues for the use of drugs to speed the intiates learning curve and experential knowledge.  An approach encouraged by AO Spare, Crowley, The Yaqui, The Hiada, actually virtually any Native Spiritual Path, the Tantrists, RA Wilson, Timothy Leary and many others.  I have a saying, that if you want to sit in your ghetto apartment in the Lotus Position doing your Anja meditation for the next ten years before you get meta-physic results, you go ahead.  I'll be the guy driving by in a Jag with two hot tantrik preistesses in the car.  The Christian belief that the true intiate is the one who sits in poverty suffering on behalf of the world and his/her beliefs is immoral.  And also the reason they do not take the nessecary steps to correct the problems they see around them, since the White Light will do it for them.

The LHP was accepted magick up until the approach of the 13th century as far as Western Ceremonial adaptations go.  Up until this point the Inquisition, headed by the Bush clone Torquemada, had burned virtually any book which didn't advocate Levi's sickly preacher approach to transcendence.  The only reason they didn't wipe out the Christian Gnostics and the Alchemists, which they were beginning to do, was because at the beginning of the 13th century the Black Plague happened and decimated their power base.
 And trust me when I say the Alchemists were most definitely tripping their balls off.  I have studied this path as well, with great interest, and I know what they had bubbling in the Philosophers Cauldren.  The mixtures of acid and metal and other harsh chemical compounds, heated over flame in a small enclosed room, as per their instructions, would get you about as bombed as smoking some DMT while sitting over a open, slightly warm barrel of gasoline in a small room wallpapered in acid sheets.  Many of the Great purists, like Levi and other gnostics practiced this Art, as it was considered holy.  Keep that in mind.

Spider

Mathias Jonsson

Hello!

If your looking for great practaical guide books on ceremonial magic, I warmly recommend the books of W.E. Butler!
Especially his books:
MAGIC & ITS RITUAL, POWER AND PURPOSE
THE MAGICIAN - HIS TRAINING AND WORK
APPRENTICED TO MAGIC
MAGIC & THE QABALAH.

I'm unsure which of these are still in print but Thoth Publications has some of Butler's books.
Together with the books of Franz bardon, Butler's books are arguably the best in terms of practicality.
Butler studied magic under the legendray female occultist Dion Fortune in her Society of the inner Light, later on he formed S.O.L together with Gareth Knight.

Butler gives a lot of excellent excercises, for concentration, visualization, astral projection, etc. coupled with lots of profound wisdom, humour and sound advice. He also pushes for morality in magic, which I agree with as being fundamental, as ceremonial magic in essence, is a system of spiritual development, rather than personal enpowerment.

There is also an excellent questions-answers book called LORDS OF LIGHT (now probably out of print) which is a very amusing read, where Butler in his old age gives wonderful answers to everything from the Qabalah, delaing with elementals, to exorcism, etc.

Butler's books are so much better than Craig's Modern magick, which I don't give much for. Ok, it is a decent guidebook, but I think that he leads his readers astray in his personal mishmash of Golden Dawn/tantric/wicca system. Why not write a book called Golden dawn magick for the solitary practitioner instead (using the original versions of the original rites)??

Nick

A new book by Merkur Publishing http://www.merkurpublishing.com that I would recommend is:

While Memories of Franz Bardon is only a mere 104 pages, it is a nice insight into this Czech adept, as told by his son Dr. Lumir Bardon and his student, Dr. M.K.

"What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TriCelticFive

Has anyone heard of the book called The Sorcerer's Handbook?  Well I was thinking of getting it but I THOUGHT the spells inside were of "dark" magick so, I didn't get it.  Does anyone know if the spells inside it of a "dark" nature?  I also like the information in the book Mordern Magick (but again I didn't get it; not because of it having "dark" spells in it though); it also looks like a great read.
"Respect should never be given just on the basis of stature"
<font color="orange">-TriCelticFive</font id="orange">

emily_phd

Phillip Cooper's "Secrets of Creative Visualization" is the most positive and helpful book on the subject of magic I have ever read.   best wishes,  emily

Parmenion

Hi TriCelticFive,

I have "The Sorceror's Handbook". I didn't need to read too much of it before realising it wasn't for me. This is not to say that you won't like it though as one man's garbage can be another man's treasure.

My reason for replying here is to say not to worry about about the book being "dark" or having "dark" spells. The author even goes so far as to mix up the Wiccan Rede and call it "The Sorceror's Code" (this is where I put the book back on the shelf [:)]), and regularly cautions about misuse of magic and resulting karmic consequences. So, if you like the book, get it. I would suggest if I may though that if you were to choose between this and "Modern Magick" that you would go for the latter, based on content.

Best regards,

Dave

TriCelticFive

Thanks, Parmenion.
"Respect should never be given just on the basis of stature"
<font color="orange">-TriCelticFive</font id="orange">

Parmenion

daem0n

found a good site with (among others):
IIH
Practice of Magical Evocation
The Key To The True Quabbalah
The Golden Book Of Wisdom- fragment of Bardon's lost 4th book
Seven Hermetic letters by George Lomer in pdf format

http://lqairah.tripod.com/
Search for the cause of self, in self
To find everything and nothing

Tisha

I thought we could post our "recommended reading" here!
Tisha

daem0n

Search for the cause of self, in self
To find everything and nothing

NoPowers

Manual of Practical Magic by Samael Aun Weor and other interesting ebook by him can be found at http://www.gnosiscentral.com/ in the book section.

Bless it be
I am tried of theories and speculation just give me the truth.