News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Hermeticism ....

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbrother

hi all ...

I have a question ...

Is it possible for an atheist to follow the hermetic path for Magic ??!

thnx

bloodsong

Hermeticism is based off of the writings of a proposed early century BCE Egyptian/Grecian (no one is sure which from what I can tell.) named Hermes Trinegistus.  The main drive behind the entire movement is the Emerald Tablet and Corpus Hermeticum.  Considering the person these writings are attributed to was not a part of any religion, and lived (supposedly) during a time when Christ was but a tickle in his celestial fathers groin, not to mention his "people" had yet to be set free from bondage in Egypt, I doubt a belief in a god he likely ridiculed is a prerquisite.

Also, if you really think I am joking, read The Key to Solomon's Key, by Lon Milo DuQuette.  In it he discloses what the final secret revealed by that exalted hermetic brotherhood the Freemasons is.  Want a hint?  You already know the secret if you are an athiest.

Bloodsong

Leo Volont

Quote from: bigbrother on October 14, 2006, 17:01:31
hi all ...

I have a question ...

Is it possible for an atheist to follow the hermetic path for Magic ??!

thnx

All the arguments for Atheism suppose that all the Providential and Supernatural Powers attributed to God are impossible. 

You see, Religions argue for the Existence of God not because they claim to have actually seen God, but because they claim to have experienced the Effects of God, in miracles, revelations, prophecies and all sorts of other Supernatural Phenomena.  Atheists claim that this deduction of God is flawed since no scientific proof exists that can substantiate any of the Effects assigned to Divine Cause.

Now, don't you suppose that Magic is quite in the same boat as Religion, in this Argument?

If you are willing to suppose that Magic is Real, then you must concede that all of the Effects attributed to Divine Causes, may also be real, though you may then dispute the Quality of the 'God' that is the cause of these Supernatural Effects.

But if you had ever had any Atheist or Scientific friends.... say goodbye to them now, before they know what you are contemplating, so you can part on good terms. 

Mydral

Quote from: Leo Volont on October 15, 2006, 06:16:06
But if you had ever had any Atheist or Scientific friends.... say goodbye to them now, before they know what you are contemplating, so you can part on good terms. 

Your aware that an underground exists for a reason right?
You just don't bloat about the things you do and you can have any friends you want....
In somnis veritas

Novice

QuoteYou just don't bloat about the things you do and you can have any friends you want....
Posted on: Yesterday at 13:16:06Posted by: Leo Volont 

I agree to a point. I think in the beginning, its somewhat easy to keep your 'old' friends as you start your study/practice (and this goes for anything metaphysical, not just magic). But I think as you progress, you find your thoughts and practice having a greater influence on your 'normal' life to the point where friends begin to ask/wonder "what's gotten in to you." I also think that as you get in to other practices, theories, philosophies that are beyond mainstream society, you find yourself having less and less in common with the old crowd. Eventually you either gradually drift apart or possibly have a fight -- depending on the personalities involved.

I guess my views on this are that you can 'hide' what you are doing and what you believe in only to a point. At which time you feel internal and external pressure to bring these thoughts and practices into daily life in order for you to feel comfortable with who you are and who you are becoming. This is the stage at which old friendships, patterns, and thoughts tend not to be able to co-exist. Some relationships may survive the change, but experience has shown that many typically do not withstand the sometimes drastic changes. I believe this is what Leo Volent was alluding to.

I would not recommend cutting off all relationships from the start. But be mentally prepared to make some hard decisions on your priorities when the time comes.
Reality is what you perceive it to be.