News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

New, Personal Lesson For Me

Previous topic - Next topic

raditus

I learned, just very recently in the newest dream I had about using magic. Spells, especially ones with actual incantations, you can't just think in passing what the spell will do or what you want it to do, then turn around and mindlessly cast it. As far as incantation are concerned, you cannot preach them out in the open like reciting the alphabet or reading a news article outloud.

The powers of elements, or pure magic has to be used just like a lazer. Focus, desire, deliberation and (if needed) destination are all needed. All of this needs to be relased into the working, infusing it with all of this and life.

It's much like expecting to cook a delicious spicy dish. If you toss the correct meat in the boiling water, but then forget to add the actual spices, either the meat will be ruined or the entire dish will fall far below the expectations of what it was supposed to be.

Bluefirephoenix

True. You also have to be trained in perception so you can see the results. Keeping detailed notes helps you find what works and what doesn't. You cannot necessarily rely on a book for that information.

no_leaf_clover

I've come to the conclusion that magic(k), and most obviously ritual and ceremonial magic, works by directing the unconscious mind.  Most of what we think on a daily basis is unconscious and according to Jung it consists of literally everything we are not conscious of, even extending to the "external world" if I have interpreted him correctly. 

Even though the unconscious is by definition is not conscious, it still has intelligence and responds to the language of the senses: imagery, sounds, smells, taste and touch.  Ceremonies or rituals supply all of these things and can order them in a way so as to imprint the unconscious with a new map for reality.  I am not convinced that the conscious mind alone is powerful enough to effect so much change at such a deep level of reality, like the unconscious is.  Maybe I am wrong.  But at any rate I think the unconscious can at least accomplish it much more easily.
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

raditus

Quote from: Bluefirephoenix on January 06, 2016, 20:56:28
True. You also have to be trained in perception so you can see the results. Keeping detailed notes helps you find what works and what doesn't. You cannot necessarily rely on a book for that information.

I do that now, the keeping notes thing. I got kind of scared away from doing the notes thing all of the time because years ago, someone who hated me found my notes and showed it to my dad out of spite. I had to lie about why I was keeping notes about spells and stuff - nearly got into huge trouble over that. (My dad was strictly anti-magic.)

Computer documents are easier for me to keep, as they can be Password protected and uploaded onto a file storage site.

Bluefirephoenix

I went to computer notes too. I also use my phone and uploade the notes to my email. I copy when I get home. I'm writing books now so the notes have become very focused. 

Some progress is very subtle and slow to develop you can see trends easier.

Bluefirephoenix

Magick has a perceptive componant (which I'm more interested in) and an active componant which involves manipulation of spiritual forces to obtain a physical result. Both are a matter of focus. Obtaining a physical result does not actually require anything other than focus.

But many people like to explore and experience the ambiance of the magicians from earlier centuries. The tools can be used for psychometric exploration and the experiment provides a perceptive experience that some find interesting. This much like working with SCA.

raditus

I am always interested in many of the old traditional spells. I have an old book stored away elsewhere that has a bunch of old spells. One, of which entails eating a spider sandwich for Strength.

I love it how seeming innocuous stuff in the wild can be used in spell crafting ways. But you have to do focus and all the other stuff while doing it, otherwise you're just 'going through the motions'.