News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

The best wizard ever?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekron

I think the only way I can answer you from my perspective is which occultist I would most wish to hold conversation with. They are two, Dr.John Dee and Francis Barrett.

Ceriel N

"We work in the dark - we do what we can- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James

James S

Francis Barret would have to come close in terms of a real person.
Galdalf is fictional, and Merlin, aka Taliesin, is a title more than a name. Whoever held that title could only do so if they were the most skilled at their art.

In terms of fictional characters, it'd be a tough call between Gandalf, Pug (or Mithrandir) from the Raymond Feist novels, Belgarath from the David Eddings novels, or Sparrowhawk (Ged) from Ursula Le Guins Earthsea novels. All have different styles and talents.

In the same way it would be difficult to pick among real humans who had achieved great skills as wizards / sourcerers. Many, such as tribal shamans of the Sth American jungles, we would not even know of.

Regards,
James.

Blackstream

Dude, I haven't heard anyone mention Belgareth in such a long time!  That's such an awesome series.  The "Will and the Word".  Probably as close to real "magic" as it gets in a book.
There is no spoon

James S

Blackstream,

I agree totally!
The whole idea of "will and the word" I think is the ultimate realisation of what we're all trying to do here.

[:)]
James.

neowert

Hermes or Franz Bardon.  Fiction, neo.

Nagual

On a side note, I was so disapointed with Gandalf in the LOTR movies...  watching the powerful wizard swing a sword and hit some monsters on the head with his staff instead of casting some nice spells...
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Jon_88

Hmm Fictional would be Fizban from the Old dragonlance saga.
About "will and the word" i liked it very much(the idea and the books) . Thought i think "the witt and the skill" from Robin Hobbs farseer triology could also describe what real magic could be like.
Thinking back i guess the "emotion river" accessed when doing "the skill" bears a striking resemblance to kundalini experiences .

As to real character , perhaps Nicolas Flammell or Newton (thought Newton i guess was a little egocentric,and most likely wouldnt want to part with any secrets willingly ) . So i would most want to meet Flammell(alchemy).

But thats the past , wich great characters of the occult(hidden) arts are alive today? I know of no one that is opperating in the western world ,any others?

Gwathren

Salvete,

What do you think? Who is the best wizard of all times? Merlin? Gandalf? Or...someone who is still alive? Is the time of great wizards over? Or...could it actually be the best "which" and not a "wizard"?

May shadows reach the light,
Gwathren
"Everything returns as before, and there is nothing new under the Sun, and man never changes although his clothes change and also the words of his language change."
Mika Waltari "Sinuhe"