News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

There is no such thing as magic

Previous topic - Next topic

Hephaestus

Magic doesnt require spells or physical ingredients. Magic comes from the power of the mind and the willing of the soul.

Cruel Tendencies

As Aleister Crowley puts it (or something similar), "Every intentional act is a magickal act."  When talking about hypnosis, two of the "originators" of NLP will sometimes say "Hypnosis doesn't exist" and "Everything is hypnosis" in the same breath.  As one progresses on a magickal path, he finds that rituals and "spells" become less and less necessary.  As the Will is refined and strengthened, desires are naturally fulfilled just because they're desired.

Any act of intent or Will can be broken down and analyzed to reveal certain energetic and psychological processes that take place in order to manifest the desired result.  Performing rituals and "casting spells" are ways to directly call up certain desires and energies in order to channel them into a specific result.

So, yes, it could be said that magick doesn't exist.  It could also be said that every action performed is magick.

Paul

kiauma

I think you summed that up magically CT!  [;)]
Non semper ea sunt quae videntur.

Ekron

It's surprising what can be achieved in this world without the use of magic.

findtruth

Magic is another name for energy that is given a specific task to do, whether it be by a spell or just with pure intention.  Doing magic with pure intention would require more will power and concentration, but, hey, spells are fun.[;)]

shaman

In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer Stone (I), after Harry has sent a python snake onto his cousin, he answered to his Uncle:

Harry: - "It was like magic"

Uncle Vernon: - "There is not such thing as Magic!"

Magic is something that you cannot explain with logic, science or rationality. So the unexplained is magic in that sens. There are also Magicians who know to do tricks, this is magic if you do not know the tricks, otherwise it is just "leger-de-main", sleight of hand.

Jon_88

Hmm i just assumed it meant "unknown force" ,just as ufo is the term for other types of unknown fenomena.

After all for experienced wizards it would become less and less magical . Just as it isnt anything unidentifieble about a craft for the pilot(alien, russian or american etc[:P])

Gwathren

quote:

Harry: - "It was like magic"

Uncle Vernon: - "There is not such thing as Magic!"

I know[:D], that's where I originally got the idea.
"Everything returns as before, and there is nothing new under the Sun, and man never changes although his clothes change and also the words of his language change."
Mika Waltari "Sinuhe"

Ceriel N

The greatest piece of advice I've ever recieved was on a ferry between Finland and Sweden, by an English illusionist. I didn't speak a word of English at the time, but yet with the translation of only one word I was able to fully understand what he meant. His exact words were "Practice, practice, practice."

Those words ring true to all skills one can learn. From the viewpoint of the magickian, all skills are magick.

However, from the viewpoint of the magickian, there is no 'supernatural', but rather everything is quite natural. Still, the 'nature' of the magickian is one infinitely larger than that of scientist.
"We work in the dark - we do what we can- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
- Henry James

DragonUnleashed

I would have to disagree. Thats why we label things like that to be psychic. But not magickal. The word magickal is the essence of using the soul and the energys of intention to get what you desire or what you require from the spell. So magick is very alive even for me doing magick longer than 3 years. So there is a differnce.

monicat777

Ceriel,  I really liked what you had to say....about no super natural, but natural.

you rock.

monicat

NeverKnowsEnough

Why doth everyone inquire about magic until it befalleth upon them? I am temped to hex all non-belivers. And i have done so in the past.

MoonGirl

Are you joking, NEverKnowsEnough?

Fat_Turkey

No offense, but you sound like a ki kid. Please, don't go around saying things like that, it causes people to not only doubt and make fun of you, but to fear you. And people don't like others when they have qualities like that (difference and a sense of fear around them). Don't be like a tyrant like Hitler or whatever. After all, like all forms of metaphysics, Magic should be used as a way to enlighten oneself.

Peace and all.

~FT
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Anonymous

No amount of rigorous training, sitting and doing nothing, and clearing one's mind can help a man who hasn't overcome his doubts.

Fubu

Magic doesnt require spells any physical ingredients. Magic comes from the power of a clear mind and a willing soul
Magic is another sort of energy that is given a specific thing to doa spell or just with pure intention. Doing magic with pure intention would require more will power

James S

The idea of the spells and rituals in magic is to distract the 'logical' mind, give it something to do while the 'creative' mind sets about focussing its intent on doing something the logical mind would otherwise try to say is impossible.
It's psychology in a way.

Gwathren

Salvete

What do you think of the idea that there is no such as magic, but only faith and believing. And when a person believes in something strongly enough, then he/she makes it happen by his/her will.  Or is that already magic? Making smth happen without actually using a spell? And if it's so, isn't that a higher form of magic?

May shadows reach the light,

Gwathren
"Everything returns as before, and there is nothing new under the Sun, and man never changes although his clothes change and also the words of his language change."
Mika Waltari "Sinuhe"