News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

How does Alcohol hurt PSI/OBE/LD performance?

Previous topic - Next topic

beav31is

Alcohol usually makes anything psychic harder for me, but sometimes any amount helps. 1 or 2 beers makes it easier half the time and harder the other half. Alcohol isnt a good drug for having an open mind. I suggest you try a different drug.

GTP

No you see, I'm not using it to try to enhance anything, I'm basically asking if it detrimental to PSI and related metaphysical performance, and how many days does it take to recover your abilities.

Parmenion

In my own experience, Yes, alcohol definately has a negative effect on everything. I drank from the age of 13. This time last year I was drinking five to seven nights (and days sometimes) of the week. The majority of the time I drank, especially at the weekends (which I considered to start on a thursday and end on the following monday), I consumed a lot more than a couple of beers. I was not an alcoholic however, and there were times (few) when I would only drink once or twice a week (pathetic isn't it?)

Over the past year I became more than interested in various metaphysical and esoteric studies and practices not least of which OBE. I became naturally less interested in drinking as I preferred to spend my time reading or practising what I had learned. Also, I found it impossible to try projecting the day after I had consumed alcohol. I gradually became what you would call an occasional drinker.

A few months ago I went off the drink alltogether and enjoyed wonderfull improvements in all aspects of my life. Memory, awareness, concentration, visualisation, metaphysicall occurances and practise, etc etc.. Then about two months ago I was out with my family in law to be and had a few drinks. Well, quite a few actually.That one night (which I would have enjoyed without alcohol) set me back a huge amount. I am only now getting close to where I was before that binge.

I made a decision to stop drinking alltogether. It was an easy decision to make and I will gain unmeasurably more than I could ever imagine I have lost. I am comfortable being sober in situations that beforehand I would have been frustrated to not be drinking. I'm often asked why I don't drink (huge drinking culture in this country) and I just reply that I'm happy not to. It's true, and why wouldn't I be? I'll not be surprised if I don't ever drink again.

This is my story. However I'm certain that I'm not the only one who can testify to the negative effects of alcohol on so many aspects of your life.

Take care,

Dave

adiraz

Quite often when I have a few drinks and go to sleep I unusually wake up mid morning around the 4-5am mark and everything goes trippy and as I go back to sleep my dreams get semi lucid.  I try to project but that usually causes my physical to react and end the dreamy state.  I know what you mean but it doesnt go as far as OBE's for me [:(]

Makaveli

Maybe a little alcohol could help with something like relaxation when attempting to AP.  I used to drink whenever I could but for some reason after getting into AP I'm just not in the mood for drinking that much anymore.

cawtney

Wow, Parmenion, I didn't realize (occasional) drinking could really affect that much, other than the next-day hangover. If I was convinced one night of drinking could have those kinds of effects up to a few months later, I'd quit for good. I think I'll give it a try and see...

Like GTP, I find I have increased (spontaneous) OBEs and lucid dreams the afternoon after heavy drinking. For the past two weeks I've been trying to become lucid again, and no luck until this past Sat. afternoon, napping after a long night out on the town... but I can't help but think the experience would have been even more vivid, and lasted longer if my body hadn't been so stressed.

GTP

Yes, alcohol does stress your body and probably inhibits clear, vivid OBE's/LD's, yet I find that after a night of moderate drinking where I get very little sleep, then take a nap later in the day, the residual alcohol + a mild hangover may help to keep me conscious somehow as I fall asleep. Does this make sense?

Mirador

Testimonial:  I am an OBEer, and my name is Anonymous.

Mirador

Parmenion

clandestino

my successes generally occur when I've had no alcohol, and my body is relaxed (e.g. after exercise) and in need of rest (after a late night). I don't think that alcohol helps.

GTP & Cawtney , its possible that it isn't the alcohol consumption that is leading to your OBE's, but the fact that you are having a late night then sleeping/ tired next day at an hour your body is not accustomed to....whaddya reckon ?

Parmenion, your post on alcohol is interesting ... I recall that Adrian too is anti - booze. Perhaps I should give it a go ?

My liver & head say yes, but my heart says no. !
I'll Name You The Flame That Cries

KP

mirador is the only guy here who makes me laugh :)

Parmenion

Yeah, I was in a bit of a foul mood earlier on. I usually wouldnt put up a post like that.

Clandestino~ I'm not really anti-booze. To each their own, I've just decided it's not for me anymore. Too harmfull to the progress I wish to achieve [:)]

Take care,

~P

Nick

Sorry I missed this thread before now. Everyone is different of course, so for my part, I can say that I don't bother doing any astral work if I've had a drink. These days, I might have a glass once a week if that, with weekend dinner. On those evenings, I just wait till the next day because there does seem to be an adverse effect on my astral session from the alcohol. The thought occurs that it would be good, probably, to dispense with the drink altogether.

Very best,
"What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

DarkQuest

well you might say psychic abilities are of the brain, correct?  anyways alcohol can cause the brain to deteriorate, so i would say it has a negative effect to any psychic work, impairing it, maybe even permanantly?
Luke E.

Are you Dreeeaaminggg?

GTP

If psychic abilities come from the brain, then I could see why it would have a negative effect, but if they are from the soul, it probably won't have a negative effect. Does this sound right?

GTP

...or it could be both. A combination of brain and soul, working together. What do you all think?

GTP

Does drinking moderate to large amounts of alcohol negatively affect PSI/psychic/OBE/meditation/lucid dreaming abilities? I know it must not be beneficial,lol. On a side note I have noticed increased OBE's the morning/afternoon after drinking large amounts of alcohol, although they were "fuzzy" OBE's. Can anyone relate to this? I only drink on the weekends but feel I don't have enough recovery time to be able to have the ability to meditate deeply or practice OBE's and similar metaphysical phenominon. [V]