'A place of butterflies, joy and big puffy pink clouds': Brain surgeon obe

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionheart

Thank you for sharing this Kirkland. I read about this doctor before and loved his story. More and more Neurologists and Doctors/Scietists in general are awakening. But just like with all of us, they have to experience it first. There is no way they are going to change their personal views on what they have taught and been taught for years unless they have their own personal epiphany.

ForrestDean

Quote from: Lionheart on October 09, 2012, 20:34:55
Thank you for sharing this Kirkland. I read about this doctor before and loved his story. More and more Neurologists and Doctors/Scietists in general are awakening. But just like with all of us, they have to experience it first. There is no way they are going to change their personal views on what they have taught and been taught for years unless they have their own personal epiphany.

This.  Exactly this.  8-)

Lionheart

The story just hit my Yahoo Home page. Here's the article. Pay attention to the comments of the general public after the article. They have no clue at all.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/heaven-real-says-neurosurgeon-claims-visited-afterlife-213527063.html
Especially this one!
" ...and as someone familiar with the sciences he should know perfectly well that personal testimony is worth exactly nothing."

Szaxx

There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Volgerle

A new edition in the discussion between a famous "skeptic" who refuses to debate with Dr. Alexander (not surprising really if you have no arguments as usual):

http://www.skeptiko.com/sam-harris-wont-debate-eben-alexander-on-near-death-experience-science/

catmeow

Well, it's an interesting case, but there is the question of whether the experience happened whilst Eben was in deep coma, which would be medically impossible, or whether his experience happened whilst his brain was coming back online again, as he woke up.  Eben mentions "certain anchors" which tie the experience so that it must have happened whilst he was in deep coma. I haven't been able to find out wat these anchors are. Does anyone know?

I haven't listened to the full 1 hour video, yet, but does Eben explain what these anchors are? On this subject, there is a lot of posturing in the Eben camp, but does any one actually explain how it is established that the experience happened whilst Eben was in deep coma?
The bad news is there's no key to the Universe. The good news is it's not locked. - Swami Beyondananda

Lionheart

This is the Coast to Coast AM header for  Tuesday the 30th of October. It looks like Eben is getting quite famous with his story. Surprise surprise, he has a new book out too. I guess just being a Neurosurgeon didn't pay enough. Oh well, need to keep feeding that ego!
"First Half: Neurosurgeon for the last 25 years, including 15 years teaching at Harvard Medical School, Eben Alexander, M.D., will discuss his transcendental Near-Death Experience (NDE), in which he was driven to the brink of death and spent a week deep in coma from an inexplicable brain infection. He has spent the last two and a half years reconciling his rich spiritual experience with contemporary physics and cosmology".

Volgerle

Quote from: Lionheart on October 30, 2012, 00:23:04
This is the Coast to Coast AM header for  Tuesday the 30th of October. It looks like Eben is getting quite famous with his story. Surprise surprise, he has a new book out too. I guess just being a Neurosurgeon didn't pay enough. Oh well, need to keep feeding that ego!
Even if it's his ego, I'd be willing and am happy to put up with it, because he is spreading (for the most part) something which i consider to be 'true'. Better than putting up with e.g. a Mr Randi's huge ego who is not spreading any truth (except for some instances where he might be right in exposing fraudulent tricksters) at all.

Lionheart