News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Boycott Da Vinci Movie?

Previous topic - Next topic

runlola

El-Bortukali

how can tell if they are lies or not?
i don't think they were alive 2000 years ago;o
Tá mo chroí istigh ionat

James S

They can't tell, but that's not the real issue.
The DaVinci Code is just one of a number of books out that are effectively undermining the Catholic churche's hold over people.
Religions have never needed (or indeed ever used) truth to gain control over people, and when something comes along to expose their falacies they get pretty upset.

I can't help but think the Catholic church are a little late in trying to stop this film, especially considering how many people have read the book.

:smile:
James.

Novice

Interesting article lola, thanks for posting.  When I read stuff like this I always have several questions run through my mind:

Are they upset because they think it is disresepctful to Jesus;
Are they worried that christians will believe what they read/see;
Are they that insecure in their own faith that they feel threatened by these possibilities;
Are they so entrenched in their own doctrine that they refuse to acknowledge the possibility that the bible may not be 100% true

But it all goes towards that good old US capitalist philosophy, any press is good press.

I really enjoyed the book, although I'm not positive they got all of the historical facts right. There is also a book entitled Decoding the Da Vinci Code. They basically go through and clarify/correct some of Browns statements as historical fact. It doesn't really deal with the marriage/off spring of Jesus, but they do address items like the Priory of Sion, historical dates related to bibilical changes, etc. It was interesting to see the contrast between 'facts'. I'm not sure which one is correct in its facts as I don't have the time to research each point mentioned in the book, but I found the book highly entertaining and the premise, a Jesus bloodline, very intriguing.

However, I thought Angels & Demons, which was the first Robert Langdon book by Brown, was much better than The Da Vinci Code. If you liked The Da Vinci Code, then you may want to read that one as well.
Reality is what you perceive it to be.

El-Bortukali

Quote from: James SThey can't tell, but that's not the real issue.
The Davin's Code is just one of a number of books out that are effectively undermining the Catholic Church's hold over people.
Religions have never needed (or indeed ever used) truth to gain control over people, and when something comes along to expose their fallacies they get pretty upset.

I can't help but think the Catholic church are a little late in trying to stop this film, especially considering how many people have read the book.

:smile:
James.

i completely agree.
not only they serve no purpose,but they also in the past  blocked the people's aces to knowledge.the killing of millions of humans during the dark ages doesn't help them either heh.
Tá mo chroí istigh ionat

Mustardseed

We in (CREAP) Christian Run off the mill Evangelical Average Pholks) (that's our name) hereby solemnly swear that we will bomb every single movie theatre and video outlet store that shows rents or distributes the movie.

We (CREAP) furthermore demand that Mr Brown be handed over to US to be publicly executed by "sermonizing" (12 Fundamentalist pastors have all ready volunteered their services)

Furthermore we state that anyone who replies to this post or post anything about this unfortunate incident be executed as well.

Kids who ask questions will receive candy before execution to soften the blow with a sugar rush.

So people lets all agree this was no good and repeat after me

There is no mystery we know all there is to know about God

There is no mystery we know all there is to know about God'

There is no mystery...................

PS thanks to our Muslim brothers for showing us how conflicts such as these are handled
Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

Kodemaster

Isn't this book a work of fiction? What's the big uproar about?
JenX
Choose empathy. It costs nothing.
Curious about #Welsh? https://www.youtube.com/@JenXOfficialEDM Learn with us!

El-Bortukali

They don't want anything to compete  with the fiction they have created and maintained for 2000 years ;D
Tá mo chroí istigh ionat

Nick

Quote from: El-BortukaliThey don't want anything to compete  with the fiction they have created and maintained for 2000 years ;D

The hold that fiction maintains on people, as you've pointed out, can be enormous.

It is also true that any religion can use their "sacred book" as a way of promoting a blind consensus behavior in their followers. This behavior most often separates  them from those who disagree. The fanatical results are often the very opposite of what the religion is supposed to be about.
"What lies before us, and what lies behind us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us...." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mustardseed

All joking aside..............I think the beef is that Religious folks feel offended and feel that their FAITH is being unfairly judged. The movie is fiction but like so much fiction today it is clothed in something resembling the truth as it "could have happened". It basically blasphemes against the tenants of Christianity as accepted by millions of Christians and they get afraid that their God cannot handle his own reputation.

The situation is in every way the same as the pictures of Mohamed, all this shows is how the different religions deal with blasphemy.

Regards Mustardseed

Nay

Blasphemy?  Because Jesus had a girlfriend?  hehe.  I don't get offended by the movie.  Just another way at looking at something.   I think it's pretty cool to think that the Holy Grail could have possibly been the child of Jesus and Mary.  Just think...YOU could be the divine ancestor.  Hey!  perhaps that is why it's so easy for you to communicate with God?  :grin:  I'm not kidding..well, not all kidding.  There's that hint of could be true.  :wink:

James S

The DaVinci Code is fiction, but it's based on the same premise as the book "The Holy Blood" (refer recent lawsuits against Dan Brown for breach of copyright).

The Holy Blood was a "mockumentary" that did include a great deal of research into the Jesus - Mary Magdelaine thing.

There are also socio-political historians that will tell you that there's no way Jesus could have had any kind of ministry at all if he was not married. Jewish beliefs at the time would not have considered him "man enough" (for want of a better way of putting it) to be even listened to by others were he not married.

Blessings,
James.

Beth

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I have to laugh at the irony of this whole thing :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Once upon a time, sometime around the beginning of the 2nd century of the current era, some fictional writings were floating around Alexandria Egypt and the greater Ancient Near Eastern World.

Some people began to believe that these stories were REAL HISTORY--that the events depicted in the writings actually happened, and that the characters in the stories were REAL PEOPLE.

Afterall, the Romans, the Greeks, the Jews, Herod, Ptolemy, Persia, Egypt and Babylonia were all mentioned in the writings and they were real right? So with this as a given, then all the rest of what was written must have been true as well...

Because of this total misunderstanding--taking FICTIONAL writings to be HISTORICAL--over the course of two thousand years, a mega-religion developed based upon these fictional writings that oppressed countless peoples, suppressed true history, killed unimaginable numbers of people in its name, and has held back intellectual and rational progress from the minds of people around the world ever since.

This mega-religion embedded itself so deeply into the global consciousness, that despite the fact that no historical evidence exists that any of the events happened, or that any of the characters actually ever existed, that even 21st century people totally believe the stories to be real, and will fight to the death over their TRUTH.

Now, this is where the irony comes in:

A new work of fiction is created in the 21st century--based upon the mega-religion's texts--that also mentions REAL THINGS like Rome, Paris, the Vatican, the Pope, the Templar Knights and Leonardo Da Vinci, and this mega-religion is having a major holier-than-thou temper tantrum about the whole thing because it is making "their people" question "their faith" that is only made possible because of fictional writings!! :shock:

In essence: Dan Brown's book is a DOUBLE FICTION.

I would say that for Christianity, the "chickens have actually come home to roost!"
:chicken:  :chicken:  :chicken:  :chicken:  :chicken:  :chicken:  :chicken:  :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

~Beth

p.s. I don't often allow myself to give my honest and personal opinion...but...I was in the mood tonight.  :cool:
Become a Critical Thinker!
"Ignorance is the greatest of all sins."
                   --Origen of Alexandria

Mustardseed

Ha .........yea makes one think doesn't it......hmm  :cool:

Your post is well put Beth it is a very refreshing blast to read your own opinion as for what it is.........your opinion.

I do agree that the chickens are home to rost, it comes to us all at one time or another. What is it about getting back what you give out.

Regards Mustardseed

rave_master_naruto

mmm :think: ..... just let this earthly event flow because whats important is your faith.  This is the testing of our faith.ya know. ...so dont get mad at others :violent:..

meaaaawwwwwwwwwww :cat:
If you are confused, then do not be confuse so that you will not be confused :D

ubiquitous

I've heard so much about the da vinci code, the book and now the film, i haven't read it and don't intend to of most importance to me is LEONARDO DA VINCI he was so ahead of his time.

His understanding of light was divine and reflected in his drawings.

DA VINCI wanted to see the world through the eyes of "god" but found that the peole that were governing "god" were blind, da vinci coded alot of his beliefs some have been lost for sure, but to be disecting human beings in such religious places in the quest for knowledge is worthy of his imprisonment now nevermind then.
His explanations of the detailed drawings of what he found were encrypted, he knew of hardening of the arteries 500yrs ago he's a genius, gaileo to though but he did'nt hide much thats probably why he suffered the fate he did.

James S

Quote from: runlola...wouldn't it be scary if the majority of people based
everything on a fairytale?...O...wait...
LOL!
You have such a beautiful way of phrasing thing Lola.
Very well put!

Mustardseed

I guess it also raises another question. This has been something that has been on my mind for a long time. When is research "real". As we know so well history is written by the conquerors in other words it can be falsified. It seems obvious that in this day and age hardly anyone believes anything. Good guys are made to look bad and bad guys to look good.

If Dan Brown claims his story to be fact or at least based on fact and others debunk it based on "historical" facts, where does it leave us.

Someone said in the thread "were you there" and it rings true. This is why I have a hard time sometimes accepting the claim of academics as well as historians and also church and other learned folks..... the claim that they "know better". They may know in part but if the very books they read from are falsified they are as others lead astray.

It is a bit of a confusing issue. The truth then becomes very fragile and seems best learned through personal experience and ...........get ready........through Faith. One simply have to choose what one believes to be the true account of things in question, based on ones own experience.

I guess the older I get I can say like someone said somewhere the more I know the more I know that I don't know.

Regards Mustardseed

CFTraveler

Quote from: rave_master_narutommm :think: ..... just let this earthly event flow because whats important is your faith.  This is the testing of our faith.ya know. ...so dont get mad at others :violent:..
meaaaawwwwwwwwwww :cat:
Well, all I can say is that my faith is not threatened in any way.  So what if Jesus got married and had children, how would this make him any less important in history?  Just because an organization based their dogma on one point of mythology doesn't mean that the whole basis of faith in God has to go out the toilet.  We need to learn to separate what we really feel as far as our relationship with God and whatever ritual we have chosen to give shape to that relationship.  I read the Da Vinci Code, have an opinion (me? an opinion?) as to what is false and what is true, and will be watching it and enjoying it as much as I enjoyed reading the book.

As for the fundamentalists that are boycotting the movie because it doesn't support their beliefs: nobody is making them watch it.  But, don't go telling me what to watch.  GROW UP!

James S

Saw the movie last night.
It was enjoyable, but not brilliant. It still leaves me of the opinion that there's yet to be a movie made of a book that's as good as the book.

CFTraveler,
So what if Jesus got married and had children, how would this make him any less important in history?

If I remember right, Robert Langdon said something similar at the end of the story. I agree with you. Mortal or Immortal, married or single, it's the message, the spirit of the message, that counts.

Blessings,
James.

mactombs

QuoteIt was enjoyable, but not brilliant. It still leaves me of the opinion that there's yet to be a movie made of a book that's as good as the book

I donno ... I felt that book was one of the worst hack jobs I've ever read. His writing style is atrocious. The movie was better ... the only way I could see the book as being better is because it had more content and puzzles.

If Jesus got married and had children, how would that be any different? It would be for the dogmatic - but, they have a protective shield of denial up at all times, anyway, so not to worry. Besides that, how would it be like to know someone called Jerry Christ who installs cable for a living and apparently can't find a pair of pants that will sufficiently cover his hind end when he crouches?
A certain degree of neurosis is of inestimable value as a drive, especially to a psychologist - Sigmund Freud

WindGod

Hi ,

There is also a Hawaiian version, it's called

Da' Kine Code.

As a compromise, what about not seeing the movie but just getting the DVD when it comes out?
Are weather forcasters psychic?