News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Future price of crude oil

Previous topic - Next topic

Doch

Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride...

knucklebrain1970

Awesome, bring it. I can't wait. No more work. HOORAY
BUDDHAHOOD - THE END OF SUFFERING

Stookie

It seems like a huge hike in oil prices is the only thing that will push alternative fuels and transportation. Until we're in the middle of a crisis, we're not fixing anything.

paker7

Quote from: runlola
Quote from: StookieIt seems like a huge hike in oil prices is the only thing that will push alternative fuels and transportation. Until we're in the middle of a crisis, we're not fixing anything.

that's what I think too...bring on the corn oil

Methanol is better  :lol:  :wink:

Commoners believe - winners KNOW !

greatoutdoors

The big boys are not going to surrender their choke-hold easily. I wouldn't look for practical alternative fuel until the oil companies figure a way to get a monopoly on it.

WalkerInTheWoods

Americans should designate at least one lane on all major roads for bicycles, and then everyone start riding bicycles for most of their around town trips. We would kill two birds with one stone, our oil and obesity problem.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

paker7

Quote from: fallnangel77We would kill two birds with one stone, our oil and obesity problem.
And pollution too.  :wink:

Commoners believe - winners KNOW !

Nay

:lol:  Whenever I see people complaining about these type of things or the conspiracy threads,  I now laugh and just think of the laws of attraction.  

Keep on complaining and you shall bring it into existence.... Hey, that means it's y'all fault.  :laugh7:

Shinobi

malganis

i dont think we will run out of the oil. Maybe the cheap one. The Abiogenic petroleum origin theory makes more sense to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin

Even though we dont run out of the oil, the world doesnt have enough refineries (the construction of them almost ceased in 70's) to refine crude oil   to because of increased comsuption in the west and even more in China and India.

I hope we will soon find some usable clean alternative source of energy. A lot of wars would be unnecessary.

if anyone is interested in geopolitics, mostly in regard to oil, here is a good site. http://www.engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net/index.html

QuoteLaughing Whenever I see people complaining about these type of things or the conspiracy threads, I now laugh and just think of the laws of attraction.

Keep on complaining and you shall bring it into existence.... Hey, that means it's y'all fault. laugh7

I dont focus much on the politics anymore, let alone conspiracies (had enough of them) because now i usually get a feeling of powerlessness. It ws exciting back then. A year ago :lol: Something i dont like. On the other hand it it helped me to break of the news propaganda and some social conditioning from media.

I eventually got to LOA and OBE because my sense of reality (politics, history, society, science, etc.) was shaken by the conspiracies and I realised the reality could be something very different than I previously thought. Before that there would be no way I could really beleive in all that. I did heard about NDE, thought it was interesting but I was indifferent to it. So I see these conspiracies (mostly David Icke) as a catalyst for me. Everything just fell right. In these last two years i changed my mind numerous times. I was naive many times but whenever i would find sth. that made more sense i replaced my older beliefs. I dont know when will this stop  :grin:
"What are you doing here, Nasrudin? his neighbor asks. "I'm looking for a key which I lost
in the wood?" Nasrudin replies. "Why don't you look for it in the wood?" says the neighbor,
wondering at Nasrudin's folly. "Because there is much more light here"

James S

Forgive me for not posting any referencing links, but there have been theories put out recently by geophysicists that there is not and never will be an oil shortage. This is because it is believed to be a continuously produced by-product of mantle / crust interaction.

The evidence for this is where pockets of oil have been depleted, the oil drills have gone deeper into new pockets, and found more oil of exactly the same grade. If the old "prehistoric plant/animal matter" theories were true, as the layers or pockets of oil got deeper, the grades would change.

I tend to believe these prices are artificially increased because of the desires of oil company shareholders to recieve larger dividends. This may be because their big cars and private jets are costing them more to run!

Oh well, regardless of whether oil reserves are running out or not, it would be nice to think that world governments might actually get serious about allowing alternative energy sources to become not just a reality, but a practicality. I don't think the environments we live in can take much more of the poisoning that oil product emissions are guilty of.

Blessings,
James.

WalkerInTheWoods

If oil is a product of rock instead of organic materials, the question still remains as to how long it takes oil to form and how easy it is to get. If we have to drill deeper to get to more oil, that is going to cost more and still increase the price at the pump, and for other oil products. Then how far can we keep drilling down?

Considering how long we have been using oil and how dirty it is, it seems it is time for some more innovation to improve things all around.
Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

Stillwater

Well, I am not huge on C theories, but this is a recognized issue. Our current knowledge does favor a peak oil crisis, even if some of the particulars are incorrect. Aboitic synthesis is vaguely plausible, but as mentioned, even those proposing it accede that we use more oil than they believe this process could ever create. Then there are the loyalty arguements; whereas there does not seem any profit incentive to proclaim disaster in this case, there is a big one to delay thoughts of such in the oil industry (fight the establishment, man!  :eek: ); we cannot rightly say who is funding which research body, or to what end. As for the US oil reserves, I suppose these may hold a while (not a geophysicist or economist here), but there are far bigger reserves outside the the M. East in Russia, Venuzuala, and others than the US possesses. My own world esteemed opinion (  :wink: ) is that this will become trouble before corrective measures take effect.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Doch

Looks like I'm the only peak-oiler on these forums.  :redface:

Whilst there is a majority consensus among oil geologists that the peak will occur between now and 2010, this is why I believe peak oil to be happening right at this moment:

http://www.theoildrum.com/storyonly/2006/3/1/3402/63420

I also recommend that every person reading this thread should take a look at these video's.

I spend way too much time studying this issue, but these are some of the best peak oil introductions I have found:

An awesome introduction by UK comedian Robert Newman:

http://www.indybay.org/uploads/history_of_oil.ram

A short, but excellent introduction by Richard Heinberg

http://media.globalpublicmedia.com/RAM/2003/05/planetarium_01_rh.2003-05-05.ram

Michael Klare on peak oil and national security

http://www.eande.tv/main/?date=050906

Doch

Quote from: Nay:lol:  Whenever I see people complaining about these type of things or the conspiracy threads,  I now laugh and just think of the laws of attraction.  

Keep on complaining and you shall bring it into existence.... Hey, that means it's y'all fault.  :laugh7:

I'm not complaining. I'm trying to inform people, because most people are clueless to peak oil and the effect it will have on  their lives.

This chart shows the history of US production.

For those suggesting the abiotic theory, how do you explain this graph? You can't, because it almost certainly a load of nonsense; If oil keeps on reforming in the ground, then why has the US continued in this downside trend?

Doch

Quote from: runlolathat's an interesting thought.

I often get emails from environmental organizations
that stop the government from drilling in national parks.

I also read that Canada has tons of oil available.

The US will most likely go ahead and trash it's last remnants of pristine environment. All for what will essentially equate to a drop in the bucket. It's quite sad really

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4542853/

Unfortunately alot of people are grossly misinformed about the Canadian tar sands.

This is a good article explaining why the Canadian tar sands will not prevent peak oil:

http://www.energybulletin.net/16949.html

Stillwater

QuoteLooks like I'm the only peak-oiler on these forums.  

Don't think you could say that, Doch.

I am still in favor of a peak of around 2007 + 2 years, so I think that makes me a "peak-oiler" as well  :wink:

According to the (US) Energy Information Administration, the peak is set allllllllll the way to 2037- I wonder what data they base this on, and why it disagrees with the maverick sites which increasingly cite data for an earlier peak? A lot of information, namely on unknown reserves, alternative fuel bolstering (mainly ethanol to date), future conservation efforts, legislative sanctioning (stricter quotas, rather than the nullification of such), and greater future efficiency, which is largely unavailibe anyhwere, must be provided to support a peak so late in the game.
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic

Nay

QuoteI'm not complaining. I'm trying to inform people, because most people are clueless to peak oil and the effect it will have on their lives.

You missed my point.  Stop worrying about it, and you will not bring it to reality.  I'm not worried about it. :grin:

EDIT: Dang it.. there it is again.. that is twice today.. what the heck is up with that?   :ninjahide:

Doch

Quote from: Nay
QuoteI'm not complaining. I'm trying to inform people, because most people are clueless to peak oil and the effect it will have on their lives.

You missed my point.  Stop worrying about it, and you will not bring it to reality.  I'm not worried about it. :grin:

EDIT: Dang it.. there it is again.. that is twice today.. what the heck is up with that?   :ninjahide:

But this is valuable information for people to have. Peak oil represents a turning point for humanity; Less net energy year by year to run our societies on and the consequences are going to be massive. It's already shaping up in the US ( as well as here in Australia) with the fed raising interest rates in order to stave of inflation. I think the US economy is like a house of cards ready to come crashing down and I think it could easily happen within the next 12 months.

Doch

Quote from: Stillwater
QuoteLooks like I'm the only peak-oiler on these forums.  

Don't think you could say that, Doch.

I am still in favor of a peak of around 2007 + 2 years, so I think that makes me a "peak-oiler" as well  :wink:

According to the (US) Energy Information Administration, the peak is set allllllllll the way to 2037- I wonder what data they base this on, and why it disagrees with the maverick sites which increasingly cite data for an earlier peak? A lot of information, namely on unknown reserves, alternative fuel bolstering (mainly ethanol to date), future conservation efforts, legislative sanctioning (stricter quotas, rather than the nullification of such), and greater future efficiency, which is largely unavailibe anyhwere, must be provided to support a peak so late in the game.

I think OPEC cooking their books in the 80's has much to do with the exaggerated figures. Not sure how closely you follow this, but the current prices are having more to do with a lack of world wide refining capacity more than anything else. World production is hovering around 84.5 to 85 million barrels per day, with worldwide demand being just as much. It's looking more and more like the world peak is actually a peak of light sweet crude, as Saudi Arabia has all of this excess sour crude circling the world but with no buyers.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/energy/4008346.html

Considering that the average refinery takes quite a few years to build and millions of dollars, I think we have definitely hit a plateau of sorts. The fact that the bulk of oil companies are failing to invest in such refineries speaks volumes for the dire situation that we are about to enter.

Nay

Well, ok Doch.  A year for me is nothing... then you can say, I told you so.. or someone can. :wink:

WindGod

I've noticed over the last few years that many people like to park their vehicles and leave the engine running. Like it's a fad or cool thing to do?
What's with that? I don't get it.

I still remember the 70s when there were actually fuel shortages, and you had to wait in line to get gas. NO one would even think of leaving their engines running unnecessarily during the shortages. Actually, this seems to be a recent behavioral phenomena.

The problem is that we have a constant supply, so that certain blessed people will never think of conserving, then reducing the demand, and lowering the prices, instead they just want to use more then they need to, then complain when the natural economy of supply and demand comes into effect.
Are weather forcasters psychic?

WalkerInTheWoods

Because some people are spoiled and out of touch with reality?

Stookie

Because you can put gas on credit?

WalkerInTheWoods

Quote from: StookieBecause you can put gas on credit?

Oh yes, and where would we be without that?