New Mars rover may collect first sounds recorded on another planet

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonscrying

When three new Mars missions reach the Red Planet in February, recording the first sounds from another planet is to be among the scientific milestones.

NASA expects its Perseverance rover to land Feb. 18, after the United Arab Emirates' Hope orbiter arrives Feb. 9 and China's Tianwen-1 mission arrives the next day.

Source

Xanth

I'm actually really looking forward to this new lander.
I hope it lands safely!

LightBeam

It's interesting how a few solar panels have the rovers run for years and yet we have not implemented this simple and widely available energy source for our basic needs or vehicles. And it would be much cheaper, the sun light is free. How long are we going to support the corporations refining oil and polluting the planet. That's a no brainier, but the negative human trait for greed, power and money overrides caring for the greater good.
I have also worked at cochlear implants company and the devices are guaranteed for life. Can you imagine? So, it is possible to manufacture anything from watches to any types of appliances, phones, cars, etc to last for a long time and have a good quality, the corporations just wont do it, because they make profit from re-purchases when things break. I have spoken to the engineers and they do confirm, yes all that is possible. Human traits, so disappointing. But again, I keep reminding myself, it's all a part of the game and our imperfections are necessary in order to clash, create conflicts and challenges through which we grow.

So, basically, my post has no point because I am justifying the wrong doing  haha. Just thinking out loud.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

T-Man

Thought I would mention my dream here that I had a few nights ago since we are talking about Mars.

I was flying in some sort of craft.  I was told to have a look out the window and I could see Mars very close up.  The planet was about the size of planet Earth as if we were viewing it from the moon.  I took some pictures of Mars with my phone.  I was than able to view the pictures as if scanning back in time.  I could see the planet had gone thru some very turbulent weather patterns.  Going further back thru the scans I could see that the planet had a stable atmosphere like Earth has now.  I was than viewing the planet from the perspective of being on Mars and there was a civilization there with people and flying craft.

Not sure if I was seeing something from the distant past or if there was some other meaning here!

The Adventure Continues...

LightBeam

Very interesting dream, T-Man! It's possible that you observed Mars' past from our line of reality. I have been to NASA's JPL where they make the rovers. We were taken on a tour and the scientists said that cumulative data so far suggests that in the distant past Mars' climate was similar to that of Erath today, but there may have been orbit trajectory change which may have triggered the change and current environment.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Lumaza

I had a friend, (that has now passed away) who worked for Nasa years ago. When the revelation about 10 years ago was revealed by Nasa that there was indeed water on Mars, I questioned him on this discovery. I asked him when they really knew this. He said back in 1980. We, the public, were just becoming privy to it 10 years ago though. I give no credence to anything they say anymore. What we will be told about Mars in the upcoming years, they, Nasa, have known for years! 
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

Nameless

I remember my brother telling me back when we were kids that there was water on Mars. At the time it was just a random statement. But then again my brother was the one who discovered the magic slow motion spot at the ditch when he was 8 and I only 6 so I never doubted him. Funny now.
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.

Lumaza

I had to post this. I just watched a episode of "Nasa's Unexplained Files". It was on the Science Channel, one of my favs. In that episode they were exploring the Dogon Tribe and how those people knew things about the Sirius Star System that shouldn't have been known to them. The Dogon said that there was a second Star and that the Star was even more dense than the first one we knew of. Until a few years ago, we couldn't confirm or deny it, but using the Hubble telescope we found that that is indeed true. The Dogon have also said there is a 3rd Star in that system. That still hasn't been confirmed of even using today's most advance telescopes.

Here is the thing about this discussion that made my jaw completely drop. The Scientists/Researchers talking on the show, including Seth Shostak of the SETI Institute actually said that the Dogon's revelation was a result of "dumb luck". WTH? They said it was coincidence. They said that Tribes around the World have all kinds of Myths and that once in a while, they are right. Like I said "WTH"? Scientism at it's best!  :roll: :-o :-P
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

LightBeam

Lu, not all scientists are smart lol. I also asked the NASA folks how the alien life search is going. They sad no evidence yet but they keep searching. I rolled my eyes and I was like yeah, whatever haha
Captain Jack Sparrow

Nameless

Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.

EscapeVelocity

IIRC, the first two Rovers were expected to last no more than 90 days. For them both to operate roughly 15 years is beyond belief. The idea that Mars' red dust somehow magnified the solar panels charging efficiency is debatable...LB's point may be closer to the truth...that solar tech 'can be' hundreds of times more efficient, and NASA could utilize this but the common energy market was disallowed, thus common solar panels are relatively inefficient...just another scam to tax money from citizens while restricting available energy.

For those interested in possible Mars history, Immanuel Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision may offer new and refreshed perspective.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

Xanth

Quote from: EscapeVelocity on January 28, 2021, 21:44:53
IIRC, the first two Rovers were expected to last no more than 90 days. For them both to operate roughly 15 years is beyond belief. The idea that Mars' red dust somehow magnified the solar panels charging efficiency is debatable...LB's point may be closer to the truth...that solar tech 'can be' hundreds of times more efficient, and NASA could utilize this but the common energy market was disallowed, thus common solar panels are relatively inefficient...just another scam to tax money from citizens while restricting available energy.

For those interested in possible Mars history, Immanuel Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision may offer new and refreshed perspective.
I loved that about the first couple of rovers.  Such a nice surprise for humanity!  We have learned SO MUCH already.

I heard that because mars has so many little mini tornados going around that they kept blowing the sand off the solar panels.  hehe  Who knows! :?