News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Perpetual Motion Machine violates laws of physics?

Previous topic - Next topic

catmeow

Those clever guys working for Steorn in Ireland, claim to have created a perpetual motion machine.  The machine generates more energy than it uses (so they say).  They are going to select a panel of 12 scientists to test their claims and you can register here to get the results when they are published:

http://www.steorn.net/frontpage/default.aspx?p=1

Personally I think it's one for the fairies and the little leprechauns... but you might like to take a look!  I'm suspicious about the panel of scientists hand-picked by Steorn.  This fact of course immediately invalidates the results before they are even published.  The whole panel could be stooges, payed by Steorn.  The panel should be picked by an independent scientific authority......

I'm still curious though.... and I did register!
The bad news is there's no key to the Universe. The good news is it's not locked. - Swami Beyondananda

Woah

I didn't register, I'll find out when you find out. :)
It's very interesting, hopefully we get to use it before 2012! ;) Just kidding.

jub jub

Hmmm...now we're reinventing the laws of physics are we. I'll subscribe to this and wait and see what happens. Since I'm from Missouri, you'll have to show me. :-D
"A moral being is one who is capable of reflecting on his past actions and their motives - approving of some and disapproving of others"  -  Charles Darwin

Sunn

catmeow

Sunn, I heard about it the other day, but the only mention on these boards was your post:

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/index.php?topic=24280.msg204462#msg204462

It passed most people by so I started a new thread, I thought it was worthy of its own thread!  It's a great story and I'm waiting for the next installment.  I am suspicious that they are choosing they're own invigilators.  That can't be right.  There's a dinky video on the site which looks genuine, but who knows!
The bad news is there's no key to the Universe. The good news is it's not locked. - Swami Beyondananda

jalef

From the website:

For many years Steorn has developed technology to help combat counterfeiting and fraud in the plastic card and optical disc industries.

Steorn is a word translating as 'to guide, direct and manage'.

The company has been instrumental in the development of core technologies that address counterfeit crime in areas such as plastic card fraud and optical disc fraud. The company has also provided forensic and expert witness services to British, Irish and international law enforcement agencies.

what a sarcasm would it be if this corporation was responsible for a fraud...
The truely wise man knows that he knows nothing!
  - Confuzius

catmeow

Yes, it's very interesting.  It's hard to see what they have to gain by fraud, other than massive venture capital.  If they got 12 scientists to lie on their behalf they might pull in millions, take the money and disappear.  Steorn is a tiny company of about 20 employees, and has a couple of directors who could easily just walk.

History is littered with PMM fraud.

To be charitable it's possible that they have built a machine which appears to run continuously but actually (and inadvertently) pulls energy from a source they are not aware of.  Perhaps the rotation of the earth, heat in the room, vibration etc.  Let's see!

If this is genuine it's the greatest scientific discovery of all time. 

no_leaf_clover

Quote from: catmeow on October 13, 2006, 14:55:19
To be charitable it's possible that they have built a machine which appears to run continuously but actually (and inadvertently) pulls energy from a source they are not aware of.  Perhaps the rotation of the earth, heat in the room, vibration etc.  Let's see!

Yeah, I have seen a lot of machines that are marketed as "free energy" but in reality produce work from permanent magnet rotors or etc., which are nonetheless wonderful ways of producing non-pollutant, cheap energy.
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

Sunn

i live near them..want me to call in and see what the fuss is about.

Leo Volont

I wonder why they are going through all the provocative trouble to making all their stupid polarizing claims about doing the physically impossible?  They enjoy making enemies in the Scientific Community.

They should just get their Patent for whatever it is, and then start turning out Applications. 

If the Applications are very very efficient and if the costs are lower than the comparable technologies that require energy, than their point will be made on the practical level.

As it is now they are only wasting a lot of everybody's time, including their own.

What, they think the silly butt Nobel Prize is more important than Saving the World from Global Warming... apparently so. 

catmeow

Sunn

haha..imagine that..just walking in and asking them

catmeow

Quote from: Leo VolontWhat, they think the silly butt Nobel Prize is more important than Saving the World from Global Warming... apparently so.

Too late to avoid that now I'm afraid!

ubiquitous

If it is that they have developed such a technology or nearly this great, they must take every step to protect it.
My guess is some kind of micro magnetic component that can rotate a finely structured wheel of of some kind continuosly that generates a minor amount of amperage, how much energy do the need to put in NONE how much energy would/did they use in creating such finely fabricated device LOADS !

no_leaf_clover

Quote from: ubiquitous on October 16, 2006, 08:51:19
how much energy do the need to put in NONE how much energy would/did they use in creating such finely fabricated device LOADS !

There wouldn't need to be input current, but the magnets would technically be doing work, so it wouldn't quite be free. You could use bigger magnets and get larger outputs. I've seen it before; it's really not physically "illegal", it just isn't much talked about or used.
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

Mydral

Quote from: Leo Volont on October 15, 2006, 05:56:30
I wonder why they are going through all the provocative trouble to making all their stupid polarizing claims about doing the physically impossible?  They enjoy making enemies in the Scientific Community.

They should just get their Patent for whatever it is, and then start turning out Applications. 

If the Applications are very very efficient and if the costs are lower than the comparable technologies that require energy, than their point will be made on the practical level.

As it is now they are only wasting a lot of everybody's time, including their own.

What, they think the silly butt Nobel Prize is more important than Saving the World from Global Warming... apparently so. 

No company would be so idiotic to make a haux out of something like this. They obviously need the scientists to prove this first, since they are not qualified to do so, before making any kind of devices.
Secondly they are not interested in making devices themselfs as their main goal. They want to sell the technology and/or partner with other companies who have the neccessary means of putting this into cars, cell phones, etc.

It needs to be proven first before it can be used.

Oh and remember when the earth was flat? At that time it also was "physically impossible" that it is round.
In somnis veritas

iNNERvOYAGER

just a clue.

have you noticed the banner picture on the web site?

Looks very much like the agave plant.

Agave is used to distill tequilla. So why do they associate themselves with agave?
"Archeologists say the Aztecs cultivated the Blue Agave starting over 9,000 years ago  and made a variety of wine or beer from the plant"

Psan

You'll be surprised that chances of being it real is BIG.
They invited reputed scientists and formed a jury of 12 of them to prove/disprove the claim and publish them. The tests are ongoing.

The have a forum. The forum members chose a lady among them, nicknamed 'crank', who visited their office and has reported positively about the discovery. There is much enthusiasm on the thread she posted

They will launch some products by April 2007 and will start a demo project in Africa by new year [Pulling fresh water out of tube-well using their own overunity motor]
If this is really true, it will change the world.....

catmeow

Quote from: PsanIf this is really true, it will change the world.....

Quite right.  But if they are right then the pin-point physics we use to send spacecraft to Jupiter would be way off...  Also the panel should be independent, not appointed by Steorn.  Apppointing their own adjudicators invalidates the whole thing.  It's like Merc evaluating the safety of their own drugs, or like Blair appointing his own "independent investigators" to justify why he went to war in Iraq, or like me taking a driving test and appointing my own examiner.....  Just exactly how many "indpendent" investigations have found against our own government?  None!

I registered with Steorn but have heard nothing yet...... still waiting.....

Psan

It need not mean that all science will be proved wrong, whatever works, works. It will simply show that there are new unknowns that still remain to be explored.

As far as I know, the jury will not simply declare a yes or no and ask anyone to believe/reject them. They are bound by contract to publish the tests in reputed scientific journals. Everyone is at liberty to take or leave the results based on their own judgment.

Whether anyone wants to believe Steorn or not depends on the credibility of scientists in the jury as well as their own interpretation of the tests. If one find that many of jury members are some unknown guys or that all 12 have no social/academic reputations and can be bought, then one knows what to believe.

Thats about jury, but the actual products are going to really prove/disprove it. I wait till April and report you back ! :)