News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

POPE said inquisition wasn't so bad

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenadots

One of the little bits of trivia I have picked up along the ways is that it was against church policy for the torturers to actually "kill" the people they were questioning.  Wasn't Christian.

Of course, they could, and did, committ all manner of horrendous torture to people.  Many of whom died from their extreme injuries like having all their bones pulled out of their sockets or their blood drained out.  In the church records, these are listed as death due to natural causes.  

No doubt, many had heart attacks and strokes from the extreme torture and beatings.  But officially, they would just say they died while in prison.  Others were sent back to their relatives injured beyond healing and close to death.  They too would have just been said to have died at home in their sleep.

The other issue I am sure they didn't address is that there really was no difference between civil and religious laws in the countries where the Inquisition was the most powerful.  Every crime was also a sin.  Every civil court had a church person as one, if not the only one, of the justices.  

The burnings, especially of women who they claimed were witches were so prevelant that some villages had no women left.  While these may not have been official executions, the church certainly did nothing to stop the killing.  

It is a fascinating time in history.  But of course the Church is going to claim it wasn't so bad.  It was.  They even brought it to Central and South America.  Convert or die was the order of the day when the Spanish conquered Mexico and Peru.  

I suppose they just don't want to admit the extent of it for the same reasons they are having a problem admitting the sexual abuse problems in some of the USA parishes.  

They don't seem to understand that they would have more credibility if they just said how bad it really was and "confess" the sin of the Church at that time.....and in this one.