Are eyes opened during Sleep Paralysis ?

Previous topic - Next topic

BOATS

Can someone tell me wither during Sleep Paralysis the physical eyes are opened.  I have lade in this state several times and looked about my room and said to myself "You mean to actually tell me my eyes are closed ?"  Everything appears normal.  However my doubt arises from the fact that I have been in this state and noticed windows opened that are not, a closet door shake and other strange things such as apparitions.  I have in the past Astral Projected from this without any apparent loss of sight. I can break this state by closing my astral eyes.  That is to say I mentally close my eyes and directly awake to the physical.  Has anyone ever reported a lover of a friend informing then after a Sleep Paralysis episode the state of there eyes.

Sage Daedalus

No, during sleep paralysis the physical eyes generally are not open. I suppose its possible that  they could be, but highly unlikely. You are most likely seeing your room with your astral/etheric sight.
If I were to give in, would you think me weak?

BOATS

Thats absolutely amazing but appears true.  The first time I had an Sleep Paralysis experience I was only 12.  I woke up and looked about my room while I had a swooshing noise in my ears.  The bedroom door was closed and the window opened.  I closed my eyes, So I thought and awake to the physical and the bedroom door was opened and the window closed.

Leo Volont

Dear Boats,

the Biological Imperative behind Sleep Paralysis is to prevent us from thrashing around during our dreams.  Since there is little danger of the eyes 'thrashing around' I can't suppose that you could not open your eyes.  

Indeed we have the testimony of one person who claims he can 'scream' -- and with evidence of so many people who talk in their sleep, we can conclude that there is a lot we can do with our faces while the rest of our bodies are bound by Sleep Paralysis.

BOATS

I use to struggle during paralysis attempting to move and unable.  After about one minute of so it would break.  I have read that the eyes can be opened but this gets tricky as the mind is still in REM.  I feel I can also move my head slightly. I like that I finally discovered to break it by closing my astral eyes.  This I liken to the OBE command "Awake" which will always end a projection for me.  One of the best film depletion's I have seen on this is George Clooney struggling in the movie Solaris just before his deceased friend appears.

Leo Volont

Quote from: BOATS...I like that I finally discovered to break it by closing my astral eyes....  

Oh!  Good reminder.  I remember I once accidentally woke myself up by shutting my eyes during a Dream.

It is sort of "blink when you've had enough".

BOATS

One of my best projections I ended simply out of fear.  I was getting pulled into the air and took a deep breath.  I blinked my head like Jeanie in the T.V. show "I Dream Of Jeanie" It actually jarred my head and felt a physical pain but woke directly up.

Leo Volont

We need to remember "the first one to blink, loses".

But it is also good to remember as advice to give the Nightmare Crowd, provided we warn them about the possible Sleep Paralysis... or did we decide that blinking would bring an end to that also?

BOATS

Yes, blinking should bring an end to that also.  The more I think I am different then others the more I discover we are all the same deep down.  My Ex Wife never understood Sleep Paralysis thou she occasionally got it.  She use to swear that getting a butcher knife and putting it under her pillow who cause it to cease.  I sometimes thought the knife was for me after I fell asleep.  Ha.

loveregardless

QuoteI use to struggle during paralysis attempting to move and unable

I didn't realize before that this was what was actually happening to me as well. I have posted before about feeling "stuck" in a strange in between world where I can "see" the room around me, but also "see" different hallucinations, figures, hear noises, etc. I always thought my eyes must be open, because I could for instance "see" when a family member would walk in the room by the bed, but I don't know what to think now. ??
~*~Namaste~*~

astralspinner

Simple solution: Get one of those sleep masks that goes over the eyes and see if you can still see even when your eyes are covered.

If you can, it's astral vision. If you can't, your eyes are open.

loveregardless

great idea! I just wish I could actually intentionally enter into this state to perform the test, which I can't. Darnit. It always just "happens" when I'm oversleeping...and I can't intentionally project, phase, or anything...does this mean I have the potential to do so?
~*~Namaste~*~

laiana

The first time I had sleep paralysis I still remember to this day - I thought it was just a bad dream!

I was young, and I was lying on my side facing my room.  As I was lying there, I noticed this white figure beside my bed.  I was so scared, that I wanted to scream and to hide but I couldn't.  Finally I managed to wake up and run to my parents room, but it scared the crap out of me.

I still remember it to this day, and finding out that it was "sleep paralysis" was what lead me to investigating astral projection and the like.  I actually was reminded a month or so ago, when I remember lying in my bed, and feeling like something was coming to get me and being so completely wrapped in fear until I woke up.  Now I know next time it happens to just relax and go with the flow.