Best way to keep some consciousnees when going to sleep?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellend_1010

K I been trying the technique with repeating "mind awake body asleep" when going to beddybyes. Thing is if I am tired I just wont be able to last long doing this as I seem to find it to much of an effort to keep consciousness in the mind enough to keep repeating those words as I am dozing in fact it might actually be prohibiting me sleeping.

Has any other peeps here tried this technique? tell of experiences or progress here pls.

Is there another way perhaps which you can keep reminding the brain to stay aware some as the body drifts off to sleepyland? I think this technique holds a lot of potential its just certainly not one of easiest ones at least not for me.

Astral316

I've rarely fallen into projection before going to bed... your body craves sleep at this point so you're fighting an uphill battle. Fall asleep, then when you wake up, force yourself up (this will be the hardest part) then do your routine after maybe 10-20 minutes.

Tee1234

Quote from: Astral316 on April 16, 2011, 09:38:08
I've rarely fallen into projection before going to bed... your body craves sleep at this point so you're fighting an uphill battle. Fall asleep, then when you wake up, force yourself up (this will be the hardest part) then do your routine after maybe 10-20 minutes.

I disagree.
Im highly successful at bedtime.

Ive read that its harder to do at bedtime and read people sayn they cant do it at bedtime but I assure you its possible.
Most people have a bedtime and force themselves to go to sleep as if it were a choir. If this is the case then you will not succeed. Trick is, have a long day, go to bed when the body is tired -when you can hardly keep your eyes open.-For me this is the best time.
Say I go to bed at 11pm and Im exhausted, so i do my thing and it roughly takes 20min to project and I get back around 2am. Then I know exactly how long I was projecting as well. Then I wake up and either stand up stretch out and just finish the night sleeping till its time to wake up. -or I wake, dont move and go again. Ive spent many nights APing for the duration of the night.

Trust me I had years of being an insomniac. Sleeping for me used to be non existent and a pain in the butt. Not no more, now I look forward to bedtime. Try it out, give it a shot, give it a week or 2 and Im guessing ya get it. Honestly let me know how it works out for you. GL

Bellend_1010

Quote from: Tee1234 on April 16, 2011, 12:13:05
I disagree.
Im highly successful at bedtime.

Ive read that its harder to do at bedtime and read people sayn they cant do it at bedtime but I assure you its possible.
Most people have a bedtime and force themselves to go to sleep as if it were a choir. If this is the case then you will not succeed. Trick is, have a long day, go to bed when the body is tired -when you can hardly keep your eyes open.-For me this is the best time.
Say I go to bed at 11pm and Im exhausted, so i do my thing and it roughly takes 20min to project and I get back around 2am. Then I know exactly how long I was projecting as well. Then I wake up and either stand up stretch out and just finish the night sleeping till its time to wake up. -or I wake, dont move and go again. Ive spent many nights APing for the duration of the night.

Trust me I had years of being an insomniac. Sleeping for me used to be non existent and a pain in the butt. Not no more, now I look forward to bedtime. Try it out, give it a shot, give it a week or 2 and Im guessing ya get it. Honestly let me know how it works out for you. GL

So seeing as you used to getting out when trying to sleep, what is the technique you use pls do you do the mind awake body asleep repeat as you drift off?

Xanth

Oh it *is* possible, but as Astral316 pointed out a good chunk of people simply just fall asleep.
Those same "good chunk of people" have an easier time attempting upon waking instead.

With that said, Bellend do whatever you have to that helps you keep your mind active.  You repeating those words should work just as good.  You might have to find something less boring though eventually.  :)

nickspry

If you're one of those people who struggles with this, try sleeping for four or five hours, then making an attempt.  You might have to experiment a little, to get the optimum amount of deep sleep, to maximize your chances of success. You need to be tired enough to relax back into physical sleep but alert enough to hold your awareness, for me about 4 hours is perfect for this. It's also important to sit up for a few minutes to stop you drifting straight back to sleep, and to focus your intention. I'm sure if you try this for a week or two you'll get good results.

Bellend_1010

Yeh many seem to be saying that attempting after you have woken is best but then I always just wake up and before I remember to attempt I am too awake.

NickisDank

Quote from: Xanth on April 16, 2011, 13:36:43
Oh it *is* possible, but as Astral316 pointed out a good chunk of people simply just fall asleep.
Those same "good chunk of people" have an easier time attempting upon waking instead.

With that said, Bellend do whatever you have to that helps you keep your mind active.  You repeating those words should work just as good.  You might have to find something less boring though eventually.  :)

Then what would I be doing wrong?

I've tried on countless nights before going to sleep to try and project, I would atleast lay there for an hour shuffling through breathing exercises, falling technique, and noticing something in my vision to change and I just can't get out. Am I not waiting long enough or something

Xanth

Quote from: NickisDank on April 17, 2011, 20:18:19

I've tried on countless nights before going to sleep to try and project, I would atleast lay there for an hour shuffling through breathing exercises, falling technique, and noticing something in my vision to change and I just can't get out. Am I not waiting long enough or something
"At night" might just not be "your thing".
With that said, it's a balancing act... balancing remaining consciously aware and falling asleep. The fine line between them.
When you find yourself falling asleep (usually after you wake up), re-focus your efforts and add a bit more mental activity to it... if you fall asleep again, add a bit more mental activity... and so and so until you either succeed or can't fall asleep, then back off a bit on it.  Find the balance.

kailaurius

For the majority of people in today's society, awareness is one of the most important if not THE most important activity to have successful projections of consciousness.  Our subconcious doesn't differentiate between being awake and being asleep.  When we dream at night our subconcious acts just the same as it does during the day.  The only difference is that most are not in conscious control when they become unconscious during sleep, and the majority are not aware of their subconcious when they are consciously awake during the day.  Most people are on autopilot all throughout the day without any awareness of themselves or their surroundings, and so it is when they go to sleep at night.  For most people, waiting to practice awareness only before going to sleep at night, no matter how many times a person performs this exercise, is not enough to recall a projection experience upon awakening.  They may have 1 or 2 conscious projections a month, a year, maybe never.  It just depends on our ability to become aware during sleep.

Each and every individual projects everytime they go into a deep sleep.  The challenge is becoming consciously aware and then recalling the experience upon awakening.  Everyone is different in having successful projection experiences, and everyone's method will be different and unique to them, but I would say that no matter what method you find that works for you, that method will be an aspect of awareness.

For myself, I maintain a constant state of awareness all throughout the day no matter what activity I am performing at the moment.  When I say awareness I literally mean conscious awareness.  I constantly ground myself in the moment and take notice of what is going on.  If nothing is happening and I am still, I notice my breathing or how my body is feeling.  I take notice of my surroundings.  When I am moving I take notice of the steps I take or what my hands are doing.  At first this was mildly stressful because the majority of mainstream society is not conditioned to live in the present moment.  I no longer give much thought of the "future" or the "past" which makes being constantly aware effortless which increases my awareness subconsciously.  Before I go to sleep at night I do the same thing I do all throughout the day.  I don't do anything different.  I just maintain a constant state of awareness of what is going on at the present moment.  When I close my eyes I interact with the darkness as if I were floating in space.  When the imagery starts to appear I interact with the imagery as if I were touching it with my hands or flying through it like flying through mist, and then when specific scenery begins to appear I just interact with the scenery while never losing awareness of what is happening at the present moment.

My suggestion is that if you can maintain awareness throughout the day then it will become easier to maintain awareness during sleep making it easier to recall your projection experience.  But again, everyone is different.

ange.connell

Bellend_1010. Have you read Blidge's post on a very similar subject. He has been using affirmations and seems to work for him. You never know, worth a read at least
What does not destroy me only makes me stronger

c0sm0nautt

I agree with kailaurius that awareness and focus is something you have to hone during waking hours. Recall can be honed by starting a dream journal.

I've had my best success projecting after sleeping 6-8 hours. I've had success doing visualizations upon falling back to sleep. For example, I would imagine myself walking around a room in my house, cycling through a few objects in the room, feeling the floor beneath my feet, etc. I've also had success imagining myself climbing up a ladder while falling asleep. This actually initiated a dream where I climbed up a ladder and immediate transitioned into the vibrational stage. The most important thing is power of will - Almost all of my success has came on day when I really wanted to project, when I thought and read about it during the day and falling to sleep.
Check out my blog @ http://astralsun.blogspot.com/

Psan

For some people (majority I guess) sleeping is like hitting a wall. Wide awake now, gone next second.
There lies the problem, because possibility for AP is when you are on the border, and when the border is so thin, it becomes impossibility.

Such people hear about this technique and give it a try, and usually fail and return to 'normal' life dismissing the whole thing, its a waste. If you are such kind, you may succeed once in a 1000 tries. You are on the mercy of chance and a million variables.

The solution is to train yourself. Of course, you will take so much trouble only if you are serious about AP, training is difficult, takes time, demands patience and has no materialistic rewards. No wonder so few of us do it persistently. But if you are of that kind, an explorer, an ultra-curious scientist, then you will do nothing but training and improvisation. You need the answers desperately.

Training should be aimed at widening the sleep-awake gap. Its a natural hack really. Nature provides you a window when you can look through it to the other side. More serious training will be aimed at inducing this state, when you are intensely aware, yet all physical systems shut down, and there remain no choice but to go non-physical. AP at will anytime thing. As you are already aware the path to that is - meditation and Yoga.

I totally agree with kailaurius here. He seems to be doing such a training. In Buddhism this will be called Vipassana which means to see clearly or to witness. Very strong technique for not only AP stuff but also for general spiritual progress.

All the best :)

CFTraveler

QuoteI seem to find it to much of an effort to keep consciousness in the mind enough to keep repeating those words as I am dozing
I must have missed something in the original post, but Bellend? what technique are you using?  What is repeating words while falling asleep?  Are you doing mantras?

Bellend_1010

Xanth

Quote from: Bellend_1010 on April 19, 2011, 13:09:13
Yes saying "mind awake body asleep" in my mind.
That's a perfectly viable method. 
Do you ever find that you have to bring your attention back to saying those words?  Like, you'll be saying them, then for an instant you realize that you're not saying them anymore?  Then you have to gently bring your attention back to doing that?

That's the kind of thing you need to work on... remaining focused upon your goal of saying those words.
There's no other trick or key to it.  Practice, practice, practice.

CFTraveler

Quote from: Xanth on April 19, 2011, 13:35:33
That's a perfectly viable method. 

Maybe for you- I wouldn't recommend it in that way.  I think mantras are fine when you're doing whatever process you are doing, but if you are continuing to place your attention on a verbal statement as you are 'going under', you run the risk of putting yourself to sleep.  Have you ever listened to a book on tape?  It may not be the same for you, but the drone of a voice put me right out, and I don't see a better way to put myself to sleep than by repeating something so many times that it loses meaning.
I don't know, that's just me.
I'd do it a few times (like twenty or so) and then move on to something else, like listening and noticing, unless that bores you.

Xanth

Xplorer88

saying 'mind aware(i like aware more than awake), body asleep.'
or
holding my focus still in my mind on one thing like a image or scenery just any random thing and +i try to hold it as long as possible without actually falling asleep, or slipping into other thoughts.... :-P.

"this heart within me i can feel, and i judge that it exists. this world i can touch, and i likewise judge that it exists. There ends all my knowledge...and the rest is construction."

Tee1234

Quote from: NickisDank on April 17, 2011, 20:18:19

Thats the problem right there. Listen, laying there doing all those techniques is gonna frustrate the @#!* outta ya. So many people get so caught up in the marketing part of this its crazy. Sure a technique helps but regardless if your gonna fall asleep those vibrations are coming whether your doing the rope technique, counting sheep, etc.. Trick is be aware, stick around and be conscience for the vibrations.

You said you laid there an hour doing techniques etc. If your super tired is it gonna take you an hour to go to sleep?? -NO, absolutely not. It shouldnt take you that long., Your obviously not tired enough/relaxed enough. If your not tired lay there and watch tv or something until you are so tired you just wanna sleep. -Then its time.

When you go to bed, be very tired. Be tired enough that you can hardly keep your eyes open. You dont have to do the the rope thing or any other technique you read about. Just lay on your back with your arms at your side and dont cross your legs. -close your eyes

As your layn there DONT MOVE. Be aware of every little sensation going on in your body.
You are so tired, everything gets so comfortable when your this tired. Being that tired, youl see how fast your body starts to numb itself and gets ready for sleep.
JUST STAY AWARE. Dont focus on anything around you, like the sound of a tv or the creaking of a door, but only focus on things in your head.

(Sometimes) I'll do things to speed up the process(get to the vibration stage) like i'll imagine im holding onto a like a 10 ft rope connected to a large pole and its swinging me around. Anything that might cause a dizzy sensation will definitely speed up the process -but its not necessary. But make sure through all this you dont move and obviously dont fall asleep. I mean you wanna fall asleep but you just wanna be aware when it happens.

Youl be in a trance in no time. And then your gonna get hit with vibrations like a ton of bricks. Wait for them to end and simply get up. It wont be your physical body your standing up with. Dont try to move during the vibration -youl mess everything up, just wait till its over. Ive had vibrations that seemed like they lasted  60secs -lol but it will end, and then your on your way. It really is that simple -honest.  Spending $$ on books of people making up their own techniques aint the answer. lol Its probably complicating things. Just keep it simple .

GL, message me and let me know how it goes or if ya have any questions. Most important part - being tired - relaxed - DONT MOVE - on your back.

Remember when you fall asleep the vibrations are coming -ALWAYS. Whether your doing any technique or not. Trick is you being awake/aware when they get here.
The only thing that is a must for me is- I have to be on my back, no crossing legs or arms and be super comfy. Thats the only thing thats a must for me.

NickisDank

Tee thank you for your post above, I see what your saying. You got me pretty excited to practice tonight lol

Contenteo

I found simply relaxing and waiting till your body goes numb, if you don't move it for 5-10-20 minutes, trust me even if you ain't tired, it'll start to fall asleep. The real trick(I think jeff said it) is to convince you mind your body is asleep, since your mind is actually the vessel to the voyage, not your body. Personally, once its all numb and whatnot, its a lot easier to convince my brain my body is asleep and when its numb, scratches and breathin are easier to manage.

Even if I got tons of vibes, I wait at least 5 minutes until I unleash them.

I still thin frank said it the best, go read his stuff. + the eye still technique, he didn't mention that, he kinda locked his behind the normal range of motion. Long story short, just wait till their tired.

Good Luck!

-Contenteo

djed

My best time used to be about 6am-7am after a good night's sleep. But since I have been practicing Bruce's Trance method at 3pm - 4pm every afternoon, this is my best time now.
So maybe if you keep to the same time and place the body gets used to that?
Cheers. djed  :-)
I have a dream, a song to sing...d~ d~ d~