Breathing interrupts trance.

Previous topic - Next topic

jilola

I get that sometimes.
Solution is to practise breathing evenly and normally. And work with the sensations until you get used to them enough for them not to affect your breathing .

2cents

jouni

k2sixx

Most of my meditation deals with basic breathing exercises.  You must not focus on the physical meaning of breathing.  Simply let it go, do not tame it; it knows what it is doing.

A little time spent solely on breathing exercies, without visualization, will help you overcome the problem, I presume.

I will post a spiritual view of what the breath symbolizes tomorrow afternoon.  It is in a book "The Best Guide to Meditation".  It's 330am here now, and I'm about to go jogging in a few, and then do my practices. =)  New little routine I came up with.

alpha

yes,What I like to do is the color breathing.For 10 or so breaths.Sometimes not even.Than I just breath as I normally do through my nose.Perhaps a little calmer at 1st.Always make sure that you are not puffing out your chest.Thats not the right way to breath.Only your stomach should be moving.

-------------------------------
"WAKE UP!WAKEUP!WAKE UP AND LOOK AROUND YOU!WERE LOST IN SPACE AND THE TIME IS OUR HOME"
-------------------------------

astralmaster

In my humble opinion, breathing should not be an issue at all. Just like you don't make an issue about breathing while driving, i guess you should try not to think about it while meditating.

David
David

Jeff_Mash

quote:
Originally posted by Ashfo:
This happens everytime...

Whenever I get some really good sensations going (falling, rolling out, rope, whatever) I usually find that I hold my breath. The second I start breathing again it like "pulls" me back to my body and because I was holding my breath it means I start breathing heavily = more awake.

I know what you mean.  Often times, I am brought back when I become aware of my breathing.  However, I don't think that I was actually holding my breath.  I think I am just so deep in a trance state that I no longer am aware of my breathing.  Then, at some point, the thought occurs to me, "Hey, am I still breathing?  Because I don't feel/hear it!"  Suddenly I realize that I AM breathing, and my focus is back on my body again.

It really sucks, but I don't think you've actually held your breath....your focus just shifts elsewhere and it only seems like your breathing has stopped.

Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash, Founder and Editor
MyJokeMail.com - Jokes and Humor
http://myjokemail.com
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
http://www.mjmmagic.com

Tom

In a book by Denning & Phillips it says to learn a breathing pattern before anything else so that when it can be started it will continue on its own even when concentrating on other things. The ratio is: out 2, hold 1, in 2, hold 1. The breath moves in or out twice as long as it is held. Patterns like 4:2:4:2 and 6:3:6:3 are most common at first. The ratio matters much more than the duration. The duration will increase with time. It is not good to allow the numbers to get larger during a single practice session, but rather stick with what you do at the beginning. An established breathing pattern at first calls more attention to the breath but its goal is to allow focus on breathing to be dropped.

Woopaching

I too have issues with breathing. When I get really relaxed my tounge will relax back and vibrate making this huge noise in my meditation-state sensitive ears and just plain old scare the whoozits out of me. But also I find that I have to swallow often and that really disrupts my concentration and relaxation. I like the idea of the 2-1 ratio, and training the breath at first, so we can forget about it later. I'm gonna go try that now. :) Good luck everyone!

Fear not.

Ashfo

Tom, could you explain in more detail the method?

when you say in 2, do you mean take in two seperate half-breaths? Or breath in, out, in, out?

Just a little confused... :)

Thanks very much for posting technique

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"You are First Cause. You are a portion of the great energy. And you, yourselves are thought manifestations of what you think you are."

clandestino

Ashfo, the technique above that Tom mentions...just imagine you're breathing in time to a clock. So breath in for 2 seconds....hold for 1 ....breath out for 2.

After doing this for a few minutes, you'll find you don't have to concentrate on the rhythm, which is when your mind might wander. Try and keep it empty.

Also...try not to actually count the seconds in your head as numbers..."one...two.." as you might find these get stuck in a loop and distract you !!

I'll Name You The Flame That Cries

Woopaching

Hey all again. I tried the 2-1 ratio breathing last night and it worked great! I was really tired so I only did it for 5 minutes. I've heard the rushing waterfall sound 5 or 6 times, but nothing recently. And last night I heard the beginning of it, but I got all excited. lol My heart started pumping fast and I couldn't relax my breathing cause I got so excited.... ahh, back to getting used to going deep. Thank you for this breathing exercise. It's simple, so I guess I forgot the KISS rule. good luck everyone!

-----------
Fear not.
-----------

Ashfo

Thanks for the explanation... sounds much easier now :P

- Ashfo

"You are First Cause. You are a portion of the great energy. And you, yourselves are thought manifestations of what you think you are."

clandestino

ps Ashfo - I tried the breathing exercise last night, whilst imagining I was in a lift, watching the floor numbers drop down..60...59...58...whilst "feeling" the sensation of falling.

It put me into a fairly deep trance, deeper than I've had before. I saw some vague images, and my hearing felt sharper, but nothing that I couldn't put down to my own imagination. I tried the rope technique - nothing happened. So I just continued as I was, imagining I was descending in a lift, feeling the sensation of falling.

I felt extremely relaxed....then vibrations started !! I couldn't believe it !! but they lasted only about a second, I think because my excitement / surprise brought me back out....I couldn't get back to this vibration stage, so I went and had a good night's sleep.

I'll Name You The Flame That Cries

Ashfo

This happens everytime...

Whenever I get some really good sensations going (falling, rolling out, rope, whatever) I usually find that I hold my breath. The second I start breathing again it like "pulls" me back to my body and because I was holding my breath it means I start breathing heavily = more awake.

Heres the catch.... If I try do visualization exercises while breathing they dont work because I feel like I'm still "attached" to my body and the second they get really intense I usually need a breath of air and it "pulls me back"

Agh, anyone else have/had the same problem? Any solutions? Any ideas....

Thanks,

- Ashfo