Concentration

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSlider

Hello!

I've been thinking lately that one's ability to concentrate must be the single most important factor in the out of body experience. While attempting to project and even after you project (probably even moreso!) one must "keep their eye on the prize," as they say. My experience with projection is limited but while I am out how well I am able to stay focused has an enormous impact.

I guess the main reason I'm posting this is because of the potential for people attempting fully conscious projections. During a period that I regularly attempted to project consciously, I would get close, my mind would start getting "out there" and my body would be falling asleep, but my mind would glitch and I would be shot back to my body and feeling major energy movements throughout. If I were able to have single-pointed awareness throughout the process I believe at least I, and I think this definitely would extrapolate to others, would have a much, much better chance of projecting consciously.

I fully realized the potential for this when I first listened to the gateway series and read through Frank's notes. Frank describes how many people try and use Hemi-Sync to get them to project just by letting it happen and hoping that they will just sudden shoot out, though he saw that as the wrong approach. What Frank tried to do with Hemi-Sync was to create his astral entry way while letting the bineural beats and the choreographed scenes help him make everything more "real" - by concentrating his efforts. In every single way, I realized that this technique was entirely dependent upon one's ability to concentrate, without wavering one bit, on what they were trying to do (create a path to the astral, in this case).

So instead of just throwing out a bunch of claims, I have thought of a few solutions, though anyone is free to add whatever they feel is relevant.

First of all - COMPLIMENT your projection efforts with a known technique to increase concentration and focus.

I stress compliment because it seems like many people want to just use one technique i.e. Hemi-Sync and work work work until it happens. I believe that if you work on getting accustomed to your preferred technique, while making your mind more focused, you will see results much sooner.

I personally am working on my ability to concentrate through meditation, which there are many forms of. The technique I am using comes from "Meditation," by Eknath Easwaran.

There are a few books that look like they've received good reviews at Amazon.com, but I have not read any in particular. Hopefully some others may have good recommendations.

Well, I guess that's all I really have for now...I'll do some searching on the web to see if I can find some reputable techniques.

Good luck!

SS

iNNERvOYAGER

Some good thoughts that I think I can relate to about concentration.

The method I started with and the one I use, unless experimenting with a simple mantra or the binaural beats, (that are still new to me), is to concentrate on the visual field, with eyes closed, and to not have a mental dialog.

I don't want to say, "not to have thoughts", because we're always thinking, but I think you know what I mean, to still the mind in other words. Mostly a basic process that I think most people here agree on.

Now, what happens to me is that my visual field fills with intricate cloud forms and the vague and vivid imagery of scenery. So, I'm attempting to focus, or concentrate on certain features of the imagery, to try to zoom in on specific areas, and to sort of continue moving forward through the imagery, while at the same time, avoiding any mental verbalization concerning whatever occurs in the visual field.

Interesting reference to Frank's notes, as recently I've been concentrating on moving forward through any circular forms that could be a tunnel for instance.

The other thing I try is to visualize all awarness of the body concentrating into a single focus point in the visual field.

But as you mentioned, I'm in the group that just waits to be shot out or to wake up in the astral, without a concentrated effort to achieve a specific result.

Can you say that phasing is the closest to directly conscious projection without any blackout intervals? Although in my experience, I've consciously phased into the image of scenery, to the point of flying over terrain, but never direct consciously to floating around my room without some kind of transition through black first.

iNNERvOYAGER

Just wondering what's going on here. I see great interest in topics not really having anything to do with OBE,

Where as, the topic of Concentration, the basis of meditation and the essential skill needed to achieve OBE is ignored?

Most popular atm is discussion about whether or not a devil or god exists, (needs to go to Religion, or chat),

a discussion about lifestyle choices to help progress in OBE is shuffled off to the chat room,

Some of the very basic generalized topics  running here could go to Member Introductions, Religion, and Chat.

Ok, bring on the smite troll,  :lol:

I was getting impatient, sorry, work was driving me nuts last week.......... I'll just chill now and practice concentration.

SilverSlider

Hey there IV....heh just noticed the abbreviation seems just as appropriate as the full - intravenus straight to the source :)

Anyway yeah I agree it is strange...and I can only speculate as to why. Most of all though, I just don't think many people want to try that hard...I suppose this has probably been covered in other threads too, but I never see any harm in reintroducing topics over time on internet forums because of the change in people's ideas and experiences and the flow of members.

Well either way I just ran into a method used to increase concentration in Tibetan Buddhism, which I think is incredibly relevant to this discussion since it is used to increase concentration of external objects during dreams. I originally found this technique in "Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep," by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, but here's a link to a site that explains it:

http://www.plotinus.com/zhine_tibetan_dream_yoga.htm

alright have fun now...

Awakened_Mind

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_obe_discussions/technique_for_thought_stopping-t24600.0.html;msg206701;topicseen#msg206701

Thats a thread I started over a year ago now on a technique for thought stopping. It helped me a lot with concentration so I thought I'd bring it up again.

-AM
Truth exists beyond the dimension of thought.

SilverSlider

Interesting! Thanks for the link awakened mind :)

I'll have to read up on Dr. Costello's actual report to get more specifics, but it sounds interesting.

I'll definitely try it out though..I mean 1.5 minutes a day? if you don't have the determination or time for that, then you're never going to project...or get anywhere in life, really.

This tech sounds similar to another that I was going to post last night but didn't have time. This has been covered in other threads as I've searched for it, but I recently purchased "Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha," by Swami Satyananda Saraswati and in it he describes Trataka. What you basically want to do is sit like you would in the example of Tibetan Zhine, comfortably but with an erect (not rigid) back with eyes gazing at the top of the wick of a lit candle an arms length away. Again try and keep the eyes from blinking, but after 1 minute or 2 when the eyes start to wander or get tired gently close them and focus on the after image of the candle flame. Try and stabilize it if it moves and when it goes away try and bring it back until it is gone for good...then go again 3 or 4 times total.

It is recommended that after the final round one ought to "palm" their eyes 2 or 3 times, which is explained in a previous section of the book. Before actually palming your eyes, rub your hands together vigorously until they are warm, then cover the eyes, making sure to use the palms of the hands and not fingers. Feel the warmth and energy flow from you hands into your eyes. When all the energy has been transfered the first round is complete.

Although it seems like many here don't like all the "extras" that come with religious techniques, I thought I was include the palming because the two concentration techniques I gave here mentioned how strange things can happen during the practice. For this reason I'll include the precaution by Satyananda...

"Trataka must be practised on a steady flame, so there should be no draught in the vicinity. The practitioner should always avoid undue strain. The ability to keep the eyes open without blinking should be developed gradually with consistent practice.
Trataka is an excellent method for clearing accumulated complexes, problems and suppressed thoughts from the mind, enabling the practitioner to witness what is surfacing. It is also possible, however, for these problems to manifest too rapidly which may be mentally disturbing. If this occurs, stop the practice and seek advice from an expert yoga teacher.
In case of eye ailments such as eyestrain, myopia, astigmatism and even the early symptoms of cataract, a black dot should be used instead of a candle flame."

"Epileptics should not practice trataka on a candle flame but should choose a totally steady object to gaze on."

He even mentions, like in Zhine, that anything can really be used, so choose carefully and then stick to that choice.

"Trataka may be practiced on any object of personal choice. However, it is not adviseable to do trataka on the moon, a crystal ball, a mirror or darkness as teh experience may be too powerful to handle. Avoid practicing trataka on the sun as the delicate membranes of the eyes may be damaged."

Despite his last sentence above, during the palming section he mentions how the practice can be enhanced by facing the rising and setting sun and feeling the warmth & light come through your hands, but don't look directly at the sun except a few moments when it is rising or about to set.

It seems like he's starting to describe sun gazing in the last part, which could be another, more intense version of trataka and a very good way to increase concentration, however it has been argued that there are vastly more important spiritual benefits. This is getting way off topic, sorry :lol: but I wish I could find an "official" text or technique on sun gazing.

Journey far!

SilverSlider

Quote from: iNNERvOYAGER on October 11, 2007, 23:26:11
The method I started with and the one I use, unless experimenting with a simple mantra or the binaural beats, (that are still new to me), is to concentrate on the visual field, with eyes closed, and to not have a mental dialog.

I don't want to say, "not to have thoughts", because we're always thinking, but I think you know what I mean, to still the mind in other words. Mostly a basic process that I think most people here agree on.

This is really interesting...either I have a recently example of the subconscious effect on the conscious mind or I just happened upon this coincidentally. I'm not sure when this started exactly but within the past week or so I have began to "look" at the back of my eyelids while meditating, which seems to help focus my mind....though I didn't "remember" that you had said that since you edited your post so quickly and I just started doing it :lol:

Quote from: iNNERvOYAGER on October 11, 2007, 23:26:11
Can you say that phasing is the closest to directly conscious projection without any blackout intervals? Although in my experience, I've consciously phased into the image of scenery, to the point of flying over terrain, but never direct consciously to floating around my room without some kind of transition through black first.

Well, like I said I'm not too experienced but from what I've read and experienced I really am not sure how one could phase into their immediate environment, or "real time zone" though I thought there was some clash between phasing and the RTZ recognized in standard conscious projection. Unless you randomly ended up there, I would think you would have to will yourself to your room or town or whatever and have the very careful intent (don't want to wake up!) to be at a stable "real" representative of "real life".....it's hard to try to figure out & explain this without discreet knowledge of and terms for different dimensions and reflections.

My experience agrees with yours though, I usually fade out for a bit then find myself in my room and from what I've read, esp. Robert Bruce's experiences, everyone starts in their bedroom and leaves, not astral ---> bedroom...I would think it would be incredibly hard not to end up at an astral representation of your room/house/city.