Did I say you could do that?

Previous topic - Next topic

Andali27

It seems to happen more and more when the thought isn't even on my mind.

I posted this before but it vanished so, yeah, here I am posting it again.  Do you know that period, just before you nod off into sleep and then realise you're about to fall asleep, then wake up?  Yup, well, during one of those times (with me lying on my back, something I hate to do), I suddenly became aware of a sensation like falling and kept falling.

I realised later I was aware of my position in the room in accordance to where I had been on the bed, meaning, I knew where I was without being able to see.

Anyway, I quickly began thinking "up", and basically began to go up where I was able to 'see' my room again.  My thoughts were really, "no you don't, no, no, no".

I moved over to the top of my bed as far as I could 'see' and tried hitting the wall to see if my hand would go through.  It didn't, as usual.  Anyway, I ended up forcing myself awake with bright recollection of the experience.  I daresay I could have considered prolonging the experience but the want to 'sleep' overode the curiosity I had nada of at the time.

Anyway, do people have any thoughts?  Just decided to share this with you for the hell of it.  Any questions, share other spontaneous experiences, etc....?

Andali
~*~*If you long for your dreams and your dreams cannot wait, turn your life into dreams and control your own fate...*~*~

http://www.digital-transition.net

TOTALANATION

Davo

I have no idea at all, somebody help her.
Size doesn't matter in the real world, cause one day it's real the rest is just your imagination . . .

Andali27

I don't really need help, I just want to know if anyone else has had any similar experiences, out of curiosity.

Andali
~*~*If you long for your dreams and your dreams cannot wait, turn your life into dreams and control your own fate...*~*~

TOTALANATION

Davo

Yeah does anyone have any similar experiences? Andali would really like to know okay? Now it's getting me interested.
Size doesn't matter in the real world, cause one day it's real the rest is just your imagination . . .

Andali27

Interested, why?  And I think there's a rule someone that says you can't make one line posts.

Andali

TOTALANATION

Telos

Andali, I'm interested in when you said the want to sleep overrode your curiosity.

This has been my biggest stumbling block in the past year... great experiences are preempted by my drowsiness. I am very curious how drowsiness could surface within a dream. I mean, aren't we already asleep? How could we be drowsy if we're already sleeping? Maybe it's fake...? Is that feeling an illusion much like the dream imagery itself?

I'd like to know what you think.

Davo, welcome to forum! Please only post "chatty" content in the Astral Chat section.

Andali27

Yeah.  Feeling I need to sleep whenever I have these kind of experiences is always a rather sizable problem as when I "wake up", so to speak.  I wonder why I cut the experience short.

I think the feeling is an illusion because the way I see it, you carry most of your consious thoughts with you when you have these kind of experiences.  I mean, when I dream, I usually find I'm thinking waking thoughts and comparing them to everyday life within the dream life.  The only times I haven't had the urge to sleep, is when the experience happens in the morning.

This one happened late at night, so maybe my body was already set to sleep but still half awake and the feelings conflicted.  I guess it's kind of hard to put into words what I think it means/feels, but I hope you get the basic gsit of what I'm saying.  The thought to "go to sleep", was already in my mind before the exprience began and during the experience, the thought surfaced and conflicted with whatever other thoughts I might have had.

I feel I don't have full mental control during these episodes and things I want to do, and have said I want to do before the experience begins, end up being overwritten by, basic instincts?  Not sure if that's the right word to use but do you get the idea?

Andali

TOTALANATION

Telos

Yes.
QuoteI think the feeling is an illusion because the way I see it, you carry most of your consious thoughts with you when you have these kind of experiences. I mean, when I dream, I usually find I'm thinking waking thoughts and comparing them to everyday life within the dream life. The only times I haven't had the urge to sleep, is when the experience happens in the morning.
Excellent. I think we're on the same wavelength here. I had never considered that this was an illusion until I read your original post. Although it makes a great deal of sense now...

mactombs

I think it's true, I think feeling like you want to go to sleep is conditioned. From early on "bedtime" sleep schedules are enforced, enforced through school, enforced through work. We learn to fall asleep without paying any attention to how we get to dreamland. We learn to turn ourselves off.

In one way it has to be useful so our bodies get proper sleep, because if we never felt sleepy ... but how much is physiological?

Sleep schedules are a clue. If you go to bed the same time every night, you get tired the same time - this is true with napping as well. I've heard this also being called circadian rhythms, but is there actually anything to that?

At least the process of turning off without paying attention to getting into the sleep state is learned. I remember when I was young all kinds of neat (and sometimes scary) things before I fell completely asleep. I learned to shut it off somehow.

Maybe there's someway to tinker with the internal clock ... I'd love to be able to just lie down when I choose, send the body to sleep, and not think my mind needs to do the same ...
A certain degree of neurosis is of inestimable value as a drive, especially to a psychologist - Sigmund Freud

Andali27

QuoteI think it's true, I think feeling like you want to go to sleep is conditioned

Belief constructs again. :?

It would seem to me, very much a physiological thing.  I mean, people that have insomnia usually seek help for their problem but you can't do it the other way around.
Maybe there's someway to tinker with the internal clock ... I'd love to be able to just lie down when I choose, send the body to sleep, and not think my mind needs to do the same

But do we really think our minds need to do the same?  When you think about it...you never really think "my mind is tired, I need to sleep".  Your mind keeps working even when you sleep, maybe even more actively then when you're awake.  Instead, you feel 'pysically' tired, not mentally tired because you don't really worry about what your mind is doing.  It just does.

Hmm.  To override that problem - would take a lot of mental effort.

Andali

TOTALANATION