feeling like I am drunk during obe

Previous topic - Next topic

EnderZ

a few questions regarding to my post:
1. Even after asking/stating for clarity and the the use of my legs I was unable to move once "stuck" and still felt like I was drunk.
2. I know most people as soon as they have a successful obe start looking every which way for their "guide." I do not think that guides will make themselves known at first to everyone, but if a guide were to appear, the chances of him taking an appeariance resembling my father (read post) would be the most likely, as my father is a very warm and gentle person who has always been someone I look up to.

This lead to me the question: is it possible for someone still living to be a spiritual guide without knowing it?

However, I think that I saw this person behind me because I got a feeling of "oh no, I think there is someone behind me" and thus created it in my mind.

okay here is my post:
------

I've had lucid dream induced obe's before, but this morning was my first wake induced one, sort of.

Anyways after getting to tired i rolled over to my side and went to sleep. I ended up having an obe, without knowing I was out of body at first. I got out of bed and I felt really really drunk. I had LOTS of trouble walking, and just kept thinking "how strange, I dont even remember drinking last night"  :lol:

I was so "drunk" that I could not leave my room. the closer I got to my door, the more energy I felt rooting me to the ground. I felt so sick that I called one of my roomates over that was in the living room. I realized It was an obe when I could "hear" him coming, but instead of from the front he was approaching me from my back side.  I realized I was seeing a full 360 degrees a vision. I also could not actually see my roomate, only hear his voice getting closer.

So I asked for clarity, and to have full use of my legs, but to no avail. I still could not move from my spot. I also remember the recommendation by RB to quickly return to your body during your first wake induced obe.

This was the first time I attempted to return by myself. In previous obe's I would just wake up, or snap back to my body unwillingly. I thought about my body, stated my intention to return and to wake up, but nothing happened. Frustrated, and a little confused as to why i was still out, I closed my eyes, and leaned back onto the wall that was holding me up. I floated through the wall downward as my feet raised up. Now with my eyes closed and hovering in the air I once again stated my intention to return, and I did.

Only not really. :lol:  I got out of bed, everything was normal, went to leave my room and was stuck to the ground right by the door, and expiranced the same drunken feeling. Realizing that I still had not woken up physcially, i decieded to have some fun and try to force my way out of the room. With all of my might i only made it a few feet past the door. Once outside of the room I immeditaly felt a presence appear behind me, and thought to myself that I shouldn't look because seeing a stranger behind me would scare me. Then I realized I could see in everydirection and saw A tall man that had many facial features as my father, and resembled a younger version of him.

This person looked straight ahead of them and did not awknowledge me at all. I got very, very frightened and decided "okay, its time to return for real this time." And instantly opened my eyes in real life, waking up. :smile:

fliesatnite

Great experience! Thanks for sharing it.  My impression of it is that you were, in the beginning of your OBE, sort of stuck in that syrupy in between stage of Lucidity and being OoB.  You were tired after attempting but ended up rolling over to sleep.  Evidently your attempt was more successful then you thought. Then you had a false awakening, which apparently got you a little further in your being Out, yet not completely free of the physical pull.

With the thought that you may have been semi lucid, the person behind you might have been manifested by your lucidity and not an actual being.. or rather you visualized someone you respect as this being.  Either way, it would seem that it might have been a visual aid you created. Kind of what you were thinking as well, it would seem.

Another thing you mentioned about seeing your roommate in your dream... this roommate being in the astral with you could have been a 'shared dream'.  Have you talked with your roommate about it, like did they have the same dream or one similar to yours?  Have you ever had a shared dream before?

Other than that, I don't think a guide can be a person who is actually living. I believe however that they can show themselves to you in a type of imagery that you would understand.  So as not to be frightened they might appear as someone you know, love and respect.  In this case.. your Father.

Just some thoughts.  I enjoyed reading your post so I thought I'd put in my .02

Fliesatnite

EnderZ

yea I did talk to my roomate this morning but he never remembers his dreams.

After thinking about it for a little bit, I think that the force causing me not to move could have been from getting "stuck" by the physical body. I've read a few times how sometimes you can have trouble moving if you are near your physical body.

catmeow

The syruppy sensation reminds me of the "dream of the mist" I used to have as a young kid.  I used to have a recurring dream of walking round my house, at night in a kind of dim mist.  It was hard to move, kind of syruppy, vision was a bit cloudy and I could never get anything like light switches to work.  I'd click the switch but the light wouldn't come on.

A few years later when I had my first conscious OBE I was again walking around the house and casually flicked one of the wall light switches.  Guess what?  the light didn't come on - just like in the "dream of the mist".  So that's when I suddenly realised that the "dream of the mist" was actually an  OBE.

I think there is a transitional stage in the RTZ where we can get stuck in a syruppy world.  In traditional OBE theory this used to be called an "etheric" projection - a strictly RTZ projection in which physical or "etheric" matter from your physical body gets mixed in with your "astral" body and murks the whole thing up.

These ideas of "etheric" and "astral" bodies now seem to have lost favour, but there may be something in it.  In any event, sensations of being stuck, feeling a tug back towards the physical body, difficulty moving etc are commonly associated with being close to the physical body in the RTZ.  I've certainly experienced these sensations.
The bad news is there's no key to the Universe. The good news is it's not locked. - Swami Beyondananda

EnderZ

Great post catmeow, thanks.

Any pointers on how to fix this in case it happens again?

Cereal-N-Milk

Once when i was first learning about OBES i had a similiar thing happen to me. I was depressed at the time and taking Zoloft, and i also was taking some sleeping medicine that my mom gave me and i rember waking up in my room but my vision was blurry- it looks pixalated and i felt like i was really light and everything was spinning. I was never drunk, but for some reason this felt drunk lol.

upstream

Hi EnderZ, I second what catmeow said. It looks like an etheric overlay. There is a stage in of defantomizing false awakening type dreams where I often feel the same. This usually happens right before my legs disappear and a purest RTZ perception set in.

I always considered the staggering or drunken feeling as the sign of switching between perception. You can speed up the process by sort of swallowing your center of self into your chest. The sea legs feeling will go away and you can propel yourself freely as a blob of attention.

catmeow

Hi EnderZ, I was interested in upstream's reply because I don't really have much advice on what to do when stuck in the syrup!  This doesn't happen to me much now, but when it did I found that moving out of my bedroom (which was difficult) would clear things up.  Otherwise I'd just have to give up and hope for better luck next time!
The bad news is there's no key to the Universe. The good news is it's not locked. - Swami Beyondananda

CFTraveler

This explains what happened to me when we went camping-I awoke in the middle in the night (sleeping bag in the hard hard floor- three people in a tent, no room to move). I awoke in what felt like an earthquake- I feel the ground moving under me- imagine dropping a disc and having it oscillate around until it stops spinning-a feeling like that.  I 'gather my marbles', realize that there are no earthquakes in Florida, that my etheric body (or whatever you call it) is doing somersaults in the inside of the tent.  I stabilize.  Then I see stuff from outside (no windows and the tent is closed).  I try to sit up, but I'm glued to my body.  I try the 'rope' technique, since I can feel my paralyzed limbs so I try not to think of my physical limbs. I start to feel I'm going 'up', only to spring back down.  I tried and tried until all of a sudden I see my husband hovering (floating) on top of me looking at me and laughing-'what the heck are you doing' (I guess the rope thing looks stupid if you can see it) I tell him I'm trying to get out.  Then he dissapears and I start to get the feelings in my limbs, and I'm out of paralysis.  Of course, both of them were fast asleep (my hubby and son) and I'm now wide awake on the hard hard floor!

upstream

I tried to set up chest consciousness while being in the honey, but not enough times to know whether it works or not. I use the shift after I start to see.

In my experience, leaving the bedroom would usually clear up things right away, yes. But it is also very likely that you would leave the RTZ as well.

It's possible to reconstruct RTZ attention all the way up from dream consciousness, but you could get the best grip on things right at the beginning.

You need at least one dream element to hold onto that you know isn't hallucinated to reconstruct the entire room. No matter how distorted, the first visual impression is usually from the RTZ.  

Even the pull itself is one of the objective elements. By trying to feel the pull with your hands you can render it to your dream senses as the astral cord.

EnderZ

upstream, I am a little confused by your post, but sounds interesting. Care to translate into layman's terms? lol, thanks.

listener

Quote from: catmeowIt was hard to move, kind of syruppy, vision was a bit cloudy and I could never get anything like light switches to work.  I'd click the switch but the light wouldn't come on.
I know this. You fumble at the light switch because you're a bit freaked out by the weird, gloopy dark experience, and yet it's broken. You see it as 'clicking on' but nothing happens. The number of times I've attempted to switch on the light only to have my fingers apparently either go through the switch, or seem to switch it on but no light comes on. I've often wondered about that, it's good to hear other people have experienced this.

catmeow

Yeh, I have heard one or two other people have the same difficulty with light switches.  It's interesting that we share this experience.  In my case I can feel the switch and "click" it but the light simply refuses to come on....!  I have only tried this in my own house, presumably in the RTZ.

upstream

Sorry EnderZ, I read my own post and didn't understand it either. :hammer: I'll go into this topic in more depth next time.

WarpedReality

When you project, then you have to use your nonphysical (etheric) senses to pick up information from the RTZ. I classify one of these nonphysical senses as your nonphysical (etheric) mind which is supposedly a copy of consciousness. This nonphysical mind has two important properties to help you draw information from the RTZ: lucidity and awareness.

Lucidity is how 'awake' or alert you are during the experience. Meanwhile, awareness is how aware you are of your own identity (ego). For example, I have had a projection where I was blind during it (my nonphysical visual senses were not operating). However all my other senses were great including tactile and mind (I was very lucid during my blind foray).

The trick is to get all of your senses working. Eventually I dragged my blind self to my living room where I stood up and my nonphysical optics kicked in. Oh and on a sidenote, my living room had beautiful streaks of amber gold colored light entering in through the window. The RTZ just looks so much more awesome than the physical.