First Experience Recollection and Analysis

Previous topic - Next topic

ThaomasOfGrey

I had my first substantial OBE 4 hours ago. It was approximately 5:00am, I awoke to the sound of the hot water cylinder boiling. I got up and went to the bathroom, then returned to bed to go to sleep. I cant judge the time that passed before I next became aware, somewhere within the range of 10 seconds to 10 minutes.

The first thing I experienced was a sensation like my body was gently drifting backwards and then my body seemed to stretch for a few moments. In this stretching feeling there was also a brief sensation of partial dis-corporation and a subtle feeling of transition through some kind of space that is difficult to explain. It felt as if I existed in a type of partial void where reality was like static on a television. There were no vibrations, nor strong energy sensations or sounds.

After the transition I was in the familiar light weight body that I have felt twice before briefly. I began to float up, parallel to the ground initially then becoming upright. At this point I became aware of my vision and I put all my focus into it to try and cement the experience. I stopped near the ceiling light. The room was still very naturally dark so I could not see extremely well but I appeared to be in an accurate emulation of real time. I wanted to fly through the roof so I could get a better look around. I put my focus on flying upwards but I couldn't move; I willed movement harder and felt paralyzed. The next thing I was aware of was that I was back in my body behind closed eyelids.

The entire experience felt like approximately 15 seconds. I felt quite lucidly aware during the experience, and it definitely possessed a dream like quality but at a higher lucidity than I have previously experienced.

Despite the fact that I have been trying to phase for over a year using various techniques and have had limited success, this experience was completely accidental. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that to recreate the experience I need to be in a deeper sleep state than I have currently been achieving through planned phasing sessions.

My ultimate goal is to be able to phase at will and I have been experimenting with waking dissociation for 6 months.

How do you contrast the experiences of a waking phase and a sleeping phase?

I feel like I forced the experience too much in my attempts to fly. I believed that it was going to be easy and was surprised when it wasn't.

Szaxx

Your experience sounds typical of the early days. The physics of flying and nearly everything else is different. Intent and its feel is the way forwards. The first few occasions of moving things by thought took so much mental strain, I thought it impossible. Once i anaged to work it out, it was simple. Nothing in the physical world exists to compare it to as you're finding out with flying.
The next chance you get, imagine the feel of flying and put yourself up there. The giant steps may be encountered first, these are 100 foot wide and 30 or so feet up. If you experience these you can fly from the peak if your thoughts are correct.
You're going to have fun learning the ropes lol.

A fully concious projection from the waking state can be achieved. It's much easier with the basic physics of the NP under your belt. A few naturals at this just do it. Most can't explain how unfortunately. Give it time with a strong will and desire to succeed. This will help program your subconscious mind and it may oblige.

A waking phase takes a min or two once relaxed and has its sequence. A sleep phase is where you find yourself concious and aware in a location not physical. Your instincts tell you its not physical with these in most cases. The concious projections almost speak for themselves. There are a few occasions I've pulled out of one and been bemused by a slightly different scene from my location. Then next thing waking for real to see what is physical, you kick yourself for not noticing the false awakening.

Have fun experimenting.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

ThaomasOfGrey

Quote from: Szaxx on July 06, 2015, 22:56:01
Your experience sounds typical of the early days. The physics of flying and nearly everything else is different. Intent and its feel is the way forwards. The first few occasions of moving things by thought took so much mental strain, I thought it impossible. Once i anaged to work it out, it was simple. Nothing in the physical world exists to compare it to as you're finding out with flying.
The next chance you get, imagine the feel of flying and put yourself up there. The giant steps may be encountered first, these are 100 foot wide and 30 or so feet up. If you experience these you can fly from the peak if your thoughts are correct.
You're going to have fun learning the ropes lol.

A fully concious projection from the waking state can be achieved. It's much easier with the basic physics of the NP under your belt. A few naturals at this just do it. Most can't explain how unfortunately. Give it time with a strong will and desire to succeed. This will help program your subconscious mind and it may oblige.

A waking phase takes a min or two once relaxed and has its sequence. A sleep phase is where you find yourself concious and aware in a location not physical. Your instincts tell you its not physical with these in most cases. The concious projections almost speak for themselves. There are a few occasions I've pulled out of one and been bemused by a slightly different scene from my location. Then next thing waking for real to see what is physical, you kick yourself for not noticing the false awakening.

Have fun experimenting.

Thanks for the advice! I think my attempts to fly were just trying to move up physically instead of feeling it or correctly intending it. Hopefully I can manage it next time. Giant steps sound fascinating; is this a common challenge type scenario that people encounter?

My ability to dissociate while awake does seem to be increasing every day. At least, the ethereal sensations I feel when applying focus are increasing. I am using the 6 direction approach described by a few different authors. One of the real keys to it is to match the oscillation of focus between the points with the oscillation of breathing. If one can also manage to get their breathing pattern to match that which occurs sleep it seems to be possible to generate, if not a complete sleep paralysis, a hypnosis like state in a matter of seconds.

I find this easier while sitting upright. I think this may be because it is more difficult to orient the direction of focus strongly when laying down. I think Robert Bruce would often use a chair. Maybe it was for the same reason.

I think I may have used poor terminology in waking vs sleeping phase. It is a difficult question to phrase. To elaborate further I am curious about OBE that occurs not just from a waking state, but during a waking state. I have experienced the transition from waking to a sleeping OBE and also suddenly becoming aware on the border of sleep leading to an OBE. I have heard anecdotes of people driving a car while simultaneously having an OBE; this almost seems like a different category of experience, a dual perception.

I suppose that falling asleep makes it easier to induce the OBE, but when I am practising the dissociation techniques should I be aiming to fall asleep or stay awake? It seems like both are possible.

EscapeVelocity

I agree with what Szaxx is telling you in that this is a very typical early experience, along with the proper realizations that you have had; my experience and much of what I have read followed the same progression.

It seems to be a bit necessarily frustrating; a series of small steps. Your Intent to fly probably should have worked, it sounds like you had the right thoughts. I can't explain it except to say that I had the same experience: one day it refuses to work, the next it works with ridiculous ease...

I think you are properly "primed" to have a great next experience...part of that is your Intent, another related part is your Expectation. Release any current frustration...you are doing just fine...boldly go into the next step...

It is interesting that you are working on Phasing from the outset, yet you are getting ethereal/RTZ type experiences. This may be a necessary evolution of experiences that will eventually get you to the cool, smooth, 3D Phasing transitions. Go with the flow for now...whatever is presented to you...you can figure it out a couple years from now...lol. I fought with the same difficulties when I was a kid that Szaxx describes, not being able to fly on a particular night, but instead doing giant half-mile Hulk jumps...which was great fun in and of itself!

The Etheric/RTZ exits may somehow be a requirement for most of us...some need further activation of their Chakras (if you think that may apply to you)...you really have to work this out for yourself...but don't get hung up on it, you are doing just fine.

It sounds like that this last time a Wake, Back To Bed technique worked for you...keep on with that. Also, be ready for opportunities...wherever they may appear.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

Lumaza

Hello Thaomas. Both Szaxx and EscapeVelocity have given you some great advise and teachings . This entire practice is like one big school. You find that in time you move up levels as well, akin to graduation. The more you learn the more you will learn!

I too have found myself in situations where I couldn't fly, but could do the "Hulk" jump. Dr. Steve G. Jones (another AP Author) uses a Moonwalk as part of his OBE techniques. Where better to do a "Hulk jump" then on the moon in zero gravity, lol.

Matching your breathing pattern to the same as a sleep pattern comes when you have finally relaxed yourself thoroughly. It can't be rushed. But is a natural process that your body undertakes through total relaxation.

I feel the daily disassociation practice and training is a great way to get used to the feeling of separation. I do it almost daily while totally awake, anytime and anywhere. This is great way to entrain your mind and body to just let go and release, to get used to the feeling of being in a another reality or realm.

I still have the RTZ exits. But these almost always come from awaking in full Sleep Paralysis and seeing it through. I don't experience RTZ exits when I Phase though. But, in the beginning of my practice I did. First I would find that I could see my surrounding with closed eyes. Then I would get up and check out my surroundings. Now when I have a RTZ exit via SP, I usually shoot out of my body and out my patio window. That's where the RTZ ends though. On the other side of my window are environments that are completely different then my actual one.

I can tell you are going to be fine with this practice. You say all the right things and ask all of he right questions!  :wink:

"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

ThaomasOfGrey

Quote from: EscapeVelocity on July 08, 2015, 03:16:13
I agree with what Szaxx is telling you in that this is a very typical early experience, along with the proper realizations that you have had; my experience and much of what I have read followed the same progression.

It seems to be a bit necessarily frustrating; a series of small steps. Your Intent to fly probably should have worked, it sounds like you had the right thoughts. I can't explain it except to say that I had the same experience: one day it refuses to work, the next it works with ridiculous ease...

I think you are properly "primed" to have a great next experience...part of that is your Intent, another related part is your Expectation. Release any current frustration...you are doing just fine...boldly go into the next step...

It is interesting that you are working on Phasing from the outset, yet you are getting ethereal/RTZ type experiences. This may be a necessary evolution of experiences that will eventually get you to the cool, smooth, 3D Phasing transitions. Go with the flow for now...whatever is presented to you...you can figure it out a couple years from now...lol. I fought with the same difficulties when I was a kid that Szaxx describes, not being able to fly on a particular night, but instead doing giant half-mile Hulk jumps...which was great fun in and of itself!

The Etheric/RTZ exits may somehow be a requirement for most of us...some need further activation of their Chakras (if you think that may apply to you)...you really have to work this out for yourself...but don't get hung up on it, you are doing just fine.

It sounds like that this last time a Wake, Back To Bed technique worked for you...keep on with that. Also, be ready for opportunities...wherever they may appear.

Great advice; I have been feeling a little frustrated and this is helpful. I have reached a better understanding of why my meditation attempts fail. I have always been a person that struggles to fall asleep and I am also known to never sleep during the day. My primary session has been 4pm; while it is a recommended time, it is unlikely that I would be able to fall asleep in the best of circumstances.

I am basically attempting two modes. Since I know that it is a difficult for me to fall asleep, I practice methods of transition that do not involve sleep. I haven't had a lot of success with the waking methods beyond the ability to induce powerful energy sensations in my body; I haven't found an application for this skill yet but it feels as if I could just walk my ethereal body out of the physical body with sufficient practice.

I gave up on sleep based attempts at night time after learning of the difficulties in remembering experiences if a deep sleep is induced. I guess my sleep based development is still a lot further along than the other method; that is probably why I experienced it first accidently, despite it being my secondary focus. I have just covered the area of Explorations in Consciousness that describes the Vigil method and I am going to take up this as my sleep based approach since it involves late night sessions where I am more likely to replicate my previous experience and have the ability to sleep more easily.

ThaomasOfGrey

Quote from: Lumaza on July 08, 2015, 05:07:21
Hello Thaomas. Both Szaxx and EscapeVelocity have given you some great advise and teachings . This entire practice is like one big school. You find that in time you move up levels as well, akin to graduation. The more you learn the more you will learn!

I too have found myself in situations where I couldn't fly, but could do the "Hulk" jump. Dr. Steve G. Jones (another AP Author) uses a Moonwalk as part of his OBE techniques. Where better to do a "Hulk jump" then on the moon in zero gravity, lol.

Matching your breathing pattern to the same as a sleep pattern comes when you have finally relaxed yourself thoroughly. It can't be rushed. But is a natural process that your body undertakes through total relaxation.

I feel the daily disassociation practice and training is a great way to get used to the feeling of separation. I do it almost daily while totally awake, anytime and anywhere. This is great way to entrain your mind and body to just let go and release, to get used to the feeling of being in a another reality or realm.

I still have the RTZ exits. But these almost always come from awaking in full Sleep Paralysis and seeing it through. I don't experience RTZ exits when I Phase though. But, in the beginning of my practice I did. First I would find that I could see my surrounding with closed eyes. Then I would get up and check out my surroundings. Now when I have a RTZ exit via SP, I usually shoot out of my body and out my patio window. That's where the RTZ ends though. On the other side of my window are environments that are completely different then my actual one.

I can tell you are going to be fine with this practice. You say all the right things and ask all of he right questions!  :wink:

It is interesting that you say that the sleep breathing process cannot be rushed, maybe this is why I have failed to exactly replicate it thus far. I have experimented a fair bit with the 4-7-8 breathing technique. This technique will put me into a reasonably deep feeling of numbness. After two minutes of continuous breathing this way I found that while I thought I was consciously breathing the pattern continued automatically after I stopped controlling it. That was one of the deepest trances I had been in during my early attempts, but the transition from that type of breathing to a natural breathing pattern for sleep is not easy to achieve.

The extra oxygen from the 4-7-8 method definitely sedates the body heavily, but it doesn't deliver the 60 second sleep it promises. If it did I feel that it could be a miraculous shortcut in the relaxation process, and would be extremely useful for someone like me that struggles to fall asleep in general.

I understand the similarity you mention between the feeling of separation and the dissociation. I have computer based job so I take a moment to dissociate in my seat several times a day. The feeling is so similar it leads me to believe that if I could do it well enough it would induce a spontaneous projection.

I am not sure why I experienced a real time zone projection. I have a burning desire to create and experience fantastic things in wider realities. I also have a friend on another continent who has a confirmation code in their house for me to read and I am adamant to blow both ours minds by getting it. This could be why I experienced a seemingly accurate emulation, however, this could also have been just what I wanted or expected to see.

Lumaza

Quote from: ThaomasOfGrey on July 09, 2015, 07:06:10
It is interesting that you say that the sleep breathing process cannot be rushed, maybe this is why I have failed to exactly replicate it thus far. I have experimented a fair bit with the 4-7-8 breathing technique. This technique will put me into a reasonably deep feeling of numbness. After two minutes of continuous breathing this way I found that while I thought I was consciously breathing the pattern continued automatically after I stopped controlling it. That was one of the deepest trances I had been in during my early attempts, but the transition from that type of breathing to a natural breathing pattern for sleep is not easy to achieve.

The extra oxygen from the 4-7-8 method definitely sedates the body heavily, but it doesn't deliver the 60 second sleep it promises. If it did I feel that it could be a miraculous shortcut in the relaxation process, and would be extremely useful for someone like me that struggles to fall asleep in general.
I have never attempted the 4-7-8 breathing method, but I have read up on it. I seem to hyperventilate and choke when I focus on my breathing. So I had to find another way. This was "Progressive Relaxation". At first it took 15-20 minutes to fully relax my body. But after awhile of daily practicing I got that time down to 5 minutes. Now I just think of an individual body part and I can relax it almost immediately.

QuoteThe feeling is so similar it leads me to believe that if I could do it well enough it would induce a spontaneous projection.
Keep up with your daily practice and you will make this statement indeed a "reality".

QuoteThis could be why I experienced a seemingly accurate emulation, however, this could also have been just what I wanted or expected to see.
Expectations play a big part in what you experience.
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

EscapeVelocity

Thaomas, I don't mean to put you off or dissuade you from your current practices; I think any kind of relaxation, breathing practice, meditation or disassociation method is beneficial in at least two ways: first the initial aim of the method itself, second, the cumulative effect of all these methods for training our individual Focus and Attention. In other words, it's all good...

What I would ask you to consider is the question of letting go/giving up control at some point and trusting the message/Intention you have internalised within yourself.

We all want to make conscious, self-determined exits, be it Phasing or RTZ. Quite frankly this is a difficult feat for most of us; not saying it can't be done, but for most of us, myself included, it is a skill to acquire later, if at all. After (jeez...) 45+ years of OBEing, I still can't do it on request.

Szaxx and Lumaza are two of the very few I know of who can do this on command, or near to it...

Like you said Thaomas, I also have a difficult time falling asleep. I think this is a difficulty of giving up control. I just have difficulty shutting down the days thoughts and concerns. As a result, I don't ever get deep enough in my meditations/visualizations etcetera to achieve an exit. I could never get to Monroe's Focus 10 Mind Awake, Body Asleep state. When I did get to Focus 10 one night, it was after sleeping a few hours and once IN the state I realized that all my earlier conscious attempts had got me nowhere near this deeper level.

For me, the best methods have been Wake, Back To Bed and early morning attempts. To a degree of indirectness, this involves giving up conscious control and trusting in the process whereby you have earlier "programmed" your subconscious computer and then gone into shutdown...only sometime later to regain conscious awareness, but much closer to, if not already within the proper exit state. Often this next shift can be a shift of consciousness that is no more than a second, or a minute or two...these shifts are referred to as "click-outs".

Given enough experiences with these types of exits, we may get closer to achieving the fully conscious projection; but for now, in the early stages, it might gain you the entrance you are looking for.

Hope that gives some further thinking...you are real close.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

Szaxx

I've thought about focus and one thing I do every time is focus on anything non physical that appears. For a concious exit to become easy, there's no thoughts on the body. It HAS to be ignored or the exit time, if successful takes 10 mins or more compared to a couple of mins once relaxed.
Snoring can be a problem lol as I find hearing the physical world the last sense to fade.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Lumaza

Quote from: Szaxx on July 10, 2015, 07:45:25
I've thought about focus and one thing I do every time is focus on anything non physical that appears. For a concious exit to become easy, there's no thoughts on the body. It HAS to be ignored or the exit time, if successful takes 10 mins or more compared to a couple of mins once relaxed.
Snoring can be a problem lol as I find hearing the physical world the last sense to fade.
Yes this is true. I find that you have to allow your curiosity to strengthen your experience.
Examples of this: Visualize a simple apple or flame. You will find or I find at least that after about 20-30 seconds of holding that image, that it begins to change. Kind of like it is morphing into something else. I don't fight it. I allow my curiosity to draw me deeper. Pretty soon I have an entire scene occurring before me. I don't question it. I just relax and enjoy the visuals. If you allow the scene to draw you in you will find success. But under no circumstances should you think back to your body.

This is why you want to handle any kind of distractions before you begin your attempt. Use earplugs if there is any distracting noise. Use a blindfold if you find that it is too light or sense your physical eyes opening. Wear loose clothing if you feel constricted. You know yourself, do what it takes to get comfortable. Alleviate the distractions and just "be".

Click outs can be successful as long as you click back in!  :wink:

EscapeVelocity, it's not necessarily doing it on request. It's creating the right circumstances and allowing it to progress. You really need to have the focus of a "pitbull". I get stopped in my tracks by distractions as well. But I learned years ago to handle problems before they became problems. This kind of teaching is valuable in this practice as well.

Lastly, your will to succeed must be much stronger than your acceptance of failure.

ThaomasOfGrey

Quote from: EscapeVelocity on July 10, 2015, 02:44:53
Thaomas, I don't mean to put you off or dissuade you from your current practices; I think any kind of relaxation, breathing practice, meditation or disassociation method is beneficial in at least two ways: first the initial aim of the method itself, second, the cumulative effect of all these methods for training our individual Focus and Attention. In other words, it's all good...

What I would ask you to consider is the question of letting go/giving up control at some point and trusting the message/Intention you have internalised within yourself.

We all want to make conscious, self-determined exits, be it Phasing or RTZ. Quite frankly this is a difficult feat for most of us; not saying it can't be done, but for most of us, myself included, it is a skill to acquire later, if at all. After (jeez...) 45+ years of OBEing, I still can't do it on request.

Szaxx and Lumaza are two of the very few I know of who can do this on command, or near to it...

I understand, I have been trying to run before I can crawl :)

Since sleeping isn't my strength yet, I wanted to investigate other possibilities. I have read most of the well known books on the subject and I have learned lots from them, particularly regarding sleep based approaches, but I think I have learned much more about how to achieve projection at will over a long term from the members here. I really can't overstate how much I have advanced from the replies here and in other threads.

I am tenacious so don't fear putting me off. Truth be told the prospect of stopping would be strange for me, ever since I first felt vibrations I have just felt compelled to continue generating that feeling several times a day. I take to heart your advice on letting go as well because I definitely identify a tendency to over control processes and this holds me back during meditation.

Like you said Thaomas, I also have a difficult time falling asleep. I think this is a difficulty of giving up control. I just have difficulty shutting down the days thoughts and concerns. As a result, I don't ever get deep enough in my meditations/visualizations etcetera to achieve an exit. I could never get to Monroe's Focus 10 Mind Awake, Body Asleep state. When I did get to Focus 10 one night, it was after sleeping a few hours and once IN the state I realized that all my earlier conscious attempts had got me nowhere near this deeper level.

For me, the best methods have been Wake, Back To Bed and early morning attempts. To a degree of indirectness, this involves giving up conscious control and trusting in the process whereby you have earlier "programmed" your subconscious computer and then gone into shutdown...only sometime later to regain conscious awareness, but much closer to, if not already within the proper exit state. Often this next shift can be a shift of consciousness that is no more than a second, or a minute or two...these shifts are referred to as "click-outs".

Given enough experiences with these types of exits, we may get closer to achieving the fully conscious projection; but for now, in the early stages, it might gain you the entrance you are looking for.

Hope that gives some further thinking...you are real close.

This really does resonate with my experience. I believe I will have more success with this approach.

Szaxx, that is great advice. It is still really hard for me to keep my focus off my body but I am getting better at it. The most difficult part is the very sudden and powerful waves of relaxation. It is almost like an auto response to body check when it happens. This habit just needs to be overcome with practice I think.

Lumaza I have your advice and letting the experience flow naturally works well for me. The feeling is almost like the mental wandering that occurs before sleep but also containing a visual component. I do find that it can take a considerable amount of effort to maintain the focus so I understand the term pitbull :)

clandestino

hi there Thaomasofgrey!

Your experience was very similar to my first few experiences.

My only advice at this stage, would be to change up your sleeping/eating/exercise patterns a little.  Do some exercise, eat a little less, get to that tired sensation...then head towards an afternoon nap, and see what happens. !

cheers

ps. I'm talking about experiences I had between 15 and 20 years ago, so I probably can't be too much help!
I'll Name You The Flame That Cries