About Training - Relaxation and Concentration

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The method of relaxing by tensing the muscles first and relaxing them second is very popular. It is good for people who need to know the difference between tension and relaxation. That is the whole point. By creating a large unnatural contrast, it is supposed to be easier to recognize both tension and relaxation. People who are normally tense no longer feel the tension. They start by tensing themselves as fully as they can and then they try to relax. Tension is familiar, but relaxation is not. They think they are doing the relaxation part successfully, but they can finish with more tension than when they begin. There are other methods for sustained relaxation. My favorite is awareness of the breathing. If it is obvious where the breath is moving the body in even one place, it can be used to check for relaxation elsewhere. Every part of the body is connected, and when breathing occurs every part is either pushed or pulled. The entire spine and all of the internal organs are massaged. As the muscles around the rib cage are allowed to relax, the breath naturally slows and deepens. It is enough to place the awareness in each place and watch for the breathing to move it. Relaxation is best accomplished by stopping attempts to relax and instead to allow it. As this occurs, the internal dialogue slows down. The pressure which feeds it depends on tension in the body.

Le_Mirage

Hi There. I'am still a newbie in this site, and i will be glad if you will help me with some explanation about OBE training. The most important things for begin, even if there are people that try different and more easier ways (but i'am interest in energy development too, and i hear that they can help) are Relaxation and Concentrations, and i got some problems with both.

About Relaxation, i read on a lot of reference material that the training time that suit for beginner, in the early state, are 5-10-20 minutes, but i spend always a lot of time of that, cause i'am not able to understand when my body is totally relaxed, and if i'am working in the right way. The only parts i think i'am able to relax are the arms and the legs, cause, when i tense and relax them, they "release" a particular sensation (of tension, i think) that tend to vanish while i repeat the exercise over and over. I think that a certain part is relaxed when you can tense and relax without feel that sensation. Is that right? Anyway, i can feel this only when i work on my legs, arms, chest and face. And, in any case, that take really a lot of time. Is it normal? Can you tell me if i'am working right, and if i can try something to make my work easier? I just need a way to be sure that whatever i'am doing, i'am doing it good (i think that this is a problem for a lot of newbie).

For about concentration, i think i can do quite well, cause i'am able to switch off my thoughs with little effort (i'am able not to hear sounds in my mind, not to make phrase or something else), but i tend to visualize a lot and if i distract for an istant i begin to visualize a lot of things. It is difficult for me to avoid this, and, after all, i don't know even if it is a serious problem. What can you tell me? I find the "Focus on an object" to work quite well with me, but i always try to empty my mind instead of concentrating on something. I have to force myself in visualazing nothing?

Anyway, i'am not so a good worker, cause i need always to have confirm of what i'am doing to be motivated in going on. And those little problems really bother me. So,any suggestion you have is welcome.
Thank you for your help:-)