How Do I Stay Awake ?

Previous topic - Next topic

M4RT1N

I usually try to AP when going to sleep, I concentrate on my chest rising and falling but I always fall asleep within about 2 minutes. i think i get enough sleep. On weekdays I go to sleep at 23:30-0:00 and wake up at 06:50 on weekends I go to sleep at the same time and wake up at around 10:00. If I try do do it when I wake up it's just completely impossible to stay awake, I can wake up 5 times during the night but I just fall asleep in 5 seconds. I don't do I often at daytime because there's usually other people in the house (they would think I'm crazy) but when I do I usually don't fall asleep (sometimes I do) and nothing happens. Any advice ?

erin

Try timer method maybe. I think it could work on you. Find more information about it here -->http://www.lucidology.com/

rain_88

Use an alarm clock to wake you up during the night. Place it outside your reach so you will have to get up actually to turn off the bastard when it goes off  8-).
I am sorry, I am so, for the things you don't know
And as for the things you do, I am sorry for those too

M4RT1N

Quote from: rain_88 on October 28, 2012, 07:55:28
Use an alarm clock to wake you up during the night. Place it outside your reach so you will have to get up actually to turn off the bastard when it goes off  8-).

I can wake up whenever I want I don't need an alarm clock, but when I wake up I cant stay awake I just fall asleep in seconds :/

rain_88

Okay, I thought you just wake up, turn around in bed and fall asleep. My point was to actually get out of bed. Stay awake for a while, consume some caffeine, go about your day, and when you become sleepy again - that is your time for practice. Another option is that instead of practicing in your bed, choose another location. You are conditioned to SLEEP in your bed in the first place - I guess  8-) - so this makes it harder to stay awake.

Mini stapler

I attempt when I go to sleep at night also - I just lay down, relax for a few minutes, forget about AP and think about general ideas of what I would like to think about anything I find interesting, then pick one, and focus in on aspects of that idea or thing, purely just mental entertainment, but periodically stopping the thought and starting a new idea and looking at aspects of that one. For me this serves to draw my attention inward & away from my body & consciously making the effort to stop & start new lines of thoughts holds my conscious awareness stopping me from falling unconscious & into a dream. After a while, I either fall asleep or I'll start feeling vibrations, at that point I just relax, keep a somewhat quiet mind & just 'let the ball roll' & see what happens. I can't comment on 'exit techniques' as I have no experience attempting them, I just see what happens, had some fun & weird experiences :lol: I think I will have an attempt tonight!

I'm a complete amateur at this though & some might say this is sucky method, but its just the method I have had the most success with. I came to it by looking at what had happened when I had accidentally gone into sleep paralyses from a waking state, and found the pattern to be clear & adopted it as a method, adding the aspect of consciously stopping & starting lines of thoughts as to try and avoid falling asleep & losing awareness.

Now I just tend to go to sleep like normal & just let what ever happens, happen!  :-D Hope something in there might help you out M4RTIN.  :-)

Lionheart

You are spot on here Mini Stapler. You find a method/technique that works for you and practice it everyday. You will "entrain" your consciousness for success if you practice at the same time, with the same technique daily.
It sounds like you have yours pretty well down pact!  :-)

rain_88

Why would it be a sucky one when it's working for you  8-)? I think there is no one here who would disagree with personalizing methods/coming up with your own one.

M4RT1N

Ok i will try this technique tonight. btw if wake up at 7 am what time do you think i should go to sleep ?

rain_88

Bedeekin

Quote from: M4RT1N on October 28, 2012, 07:07:56
I usually try to AP when going to sleep, I concentrate on my chest rising and falling but I always fall asleep within about 2 minutes. i think i get enough sleep. On weekdays I go to sleep at 23:30-0:00 and wake up at 06:50 on weekends I go to sleep at the same time and wake up at around 10:00. If I try do do it when I wake up it's just completely impossible to stay awake, I can wake up 5 times during the night but I just fall asleep in 5 seconds. I don't do I often at daytime because there's usually other people in the house (they would think I'm crazy) but when I do I usually don't fall asleep (sometimes I do) and nothing happens. Any advice ?

Ok.. I used to promote a method that was primarily a 'when going to sleep' induction. I stopped because although it is a sure-fire way to experience Sleep Paralysis... it bypassed the importance of meditation. Which I know now is tantamount to throwing someone in the deep-end before teaching them how to paddle water.

The actual method of getting into the state is up to you... audio... visual... tactile... it matters not... that is your personal choice and whatever works for you.
The KEY to 'when going to sleep' induction is having a small sleep prior to going to bed.

rain_88 is sort of on the right track but I wouldn't use caffeine... or any drugs for that matter.

The pre-sleep you have MUST be non-forced.

I used to have my nap at around 7 or 8pm. It would be a dreamless nap... and I had been awake all day till the nap. The naps lasted anywhere between half and hour and two hours. I would wake up as soon as I woke from the nap... and carry on my night until about midnight.

Originally I didn't use any actual method to get into the state... the nap was all it needed. The process of simply trying to get to sleep would cause me to slip into SP. Sometimes this worked for others... but generally they would need some sort of induction method.

rain_88

I didn't mean to promote caffeine, I was just trying to give him ideas and to plant the seed in his head that he should experiment and see what happens  8-).

Mini stapler

Good luck m4rt1n!  :-D

Quote from: rain_88 on November 01, 2012, 12:19:55
Why would it be a sucky one when it's working for you  8-)? I think there is no one here who would disagree with personalizing methods/coming up with your own one.

:| Probably a comment stemming from insecurities of my own ideas about a topic I don't feel confident enough about to speak openly on with any real conviction in my own thoughts & ideas! :-D

Quote from: Lionheart on November 01, 2012, 11:52:15
You are spot on here Mini Stapler. You find a method/technique that works for you and practice it everyday. You will "entrain" your consciousness for success if you practice at the same time, with the same technique daily.
It sounds like you have yours pretty well down pact!  :-)

Yeah that is what I found, my method didn't really work for me to begin, but I had read that advice on this forum regarding sticking to one method and giving yourself time to practice it, so I pushed on with it, getting more success over time. :-)

rain_88

Quote from: Mini stapler on November 01, 2012, 18:46:47
Good luck m4rt1n!  :-D

:| Probably a comment stemming from insecurities of my own ideas about a topic I don't feel confident enough about to speak openly on with any real conviction in my own thoughts & ideas! :-D

LOL :D! I LOVE it when people dare to be honest with themselves! Keep it up!

Bedeekin

Sorry rain_88... I'm sorry I said I wouldn't use caffeine and for not being honest with myself.

*EDIT

The last part of that has no context to you or anyone but is confusing if I don't explain...

I promised myself I wouldn't promote the nap method because it is too successful for newbies and I now know that people need to dip their toes in first... not be thrown in the deep end. The quick SP fix isn't progressive for most people.

rain_88

Okay, I am still confused, but I didn't mean to offend anyone with that or suggest that you are not honest with yourself. I just think that the human psyche has it's own tricky ways of working and it is a brave thing to try to examine it unbiasedly.

Contenteo

I wrote this a while back after I found a really cool method in the old archives of the site. It worked very well for me. Nowadays, not always because I have progressed to more calibrated efforts, but it remains a tried and true method I keep in my back pocket arsenal of methods for just in case when I'm 'in there'. I think it might be what you're looking for.

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_consciousness/a_breath_counting_deal-t38368.0.html;msg314707#msg314707

Cheers,
Contenteo

AstralCody

An interesting thing I found is that when you are tired... (to the point of where you NEED to lay down or you feel like you will not make it) THAT tired... Sleep paralysis or hearing astral noise always happens for me. Trying at night is tough for me... mostly because I am trained to fall asleep in my bed, especially with the covers over me etc...

Honestly? The most successful method for me is intent. Intent, believing I can do anything, and realizing that I am not my body. Throwing away all fear... and just let it come to you.

Bedeekin

Quote from: rain_88 on November 01, 2012, 22:47:19
Okay, I am still confused, but I didn't mean to offend anyone with that or suggest that you are not honest with yourself. I just think that the human psyche has it's own tricky ways of working and it is a brave thing to try to examine it unbiasedly.

You didn't offend me in the slightest. I was commenting on my own thing... that's why I re-edited it.

Basically I didn't need to post it. lol

It is true... it is brave to examine it unbiasedly... but at the same time nigh on impossible because it is subjective... not so subjective that there aren't any right and wrongs though.

Mini stapler

Quote from: AstralCody on November 02, 2012, 03:48:31
An interesting thing I found is that when you are tired... (to the point of where you NEED to lay down or you feel like you will not make it) THAT tired... Sleep paralysis or hearing astral noise always happens for me.

I've found that also; I slip out of normal sleeping patterns quite often & have to sleep deprive myself sometimes to adjust my sleep & wake times back to normal, so have experienced it quite a few times.

Quote from: rain_88 on November 01, 2012, 22:47:19

Nope didn't offend me either. :-D Made me laugh, as I was going to write 'too honest?' on the end of my comment, as I've noticed how in social situations attempts at being candid about what you feel can result in people feeling rather uncomfortable around you. :lol:

Quote from: Bedeekin on November 02, 2012, 03:59:32
It is true... it is brave to examine it unbiasedly... but at the same time nigh on impossible because it is subjective... not so subjective that there aren't any right and wrongs though.

very true indeed.

rain_88

Quote from: Mini stapler on November 02, 2012, 07:04:25

Nope didn't offend me either. :-D Made me laugh, as I was going to write 'too honest?' on the end of my comment, as I've noticed how in social situations attempts at being candid about what you feel can result in people feeling rather uncomfortable around you. :lol:

Eww, I have noticed that also. I just  turned my life into a Brazilian soap opera recently, due to sharing my opinion and I ended up being an emotional mess-up for weeks. Which in turn decreased my dream awareness and recall to zero  :?. But now I'm back on track, I just woke up from a lucid dream  :lol:...

M4RT1N

yesterday when i went to sleep i kept my forearms up so if i fall asleep they would start falling and i would wake up, then i did the Mini stapler's technique and after about 30 min i was still awake so i put my arms down while still doing that technique and in about 1 min i fell asleep  :-(

M4RT1N

Quote from: Contenteo on November 02, 2012, 03:36:33
I wrote this a while back after I found a really cool method in the old archives of the site. It worked very well for me. Nowadays, not always because I have progressed to more calibrated efforts, but it remains a tried and true method I keep in my back pocket arsenal of methods for just in case when I'm 'in there'. I think it might be what you're looking for.

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_astral_consciousness/a_breath_counting_deal-t38368.0.html;msg314707#msg314707

I don't understand this method :?

Contenteo

Oh, my bad, I read the question post too quick and didn't see the don't.
Quotebut when I do I usually don't fall asleep

My apologies on the confusion. What I posted is not a phase technique per se, but it will get you deep into a F10/F12 state while remaining awake.

You are focusing on your breathing, counting up and down from 1 to 10 on each exhale, augmenting the lowest number each cycle.

So rather, here are some unsaid important key concepts that usually go unsaid:
   :-D
You can't move your eyes once into a mature F10, that will 'kick you back down a few mental steps'
Think passively, that is, DON'T think about phasing
Don't search for vibrations, they will come.

Hope these few help.

Cheers,
Contenteo

M4RT1N

Quote from: Contenteo on November 02, 2012, 11:40:24
Oh, my bad, I read the question post too quick and didn't see the don't.
My apologies on the confusion. What I posted is not a phase technique per se, but it will get you deep into a F10/F12 state while remaining awake.

You are focusing on your breathing, counting up and down from 1 to 10 on each exhale, augmenting the lowest number each cycle.

Ok so inhale then while exhaling count 1-10, inhale then while exhaling count 10-2 etc. right ?