How long for your first?

Previous topic - Next topic

FoolsDay

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I wasn't able to find it with the search engine.

I'm fairly new to all this - How long did it take each of you to achieve your first OBE?  I ask because I'll admit, I'm patient, but not THAT patient.  If it's something that's 2 years out, I'll wait for my permanent OBE.

Thanks!

Tom

Some people have their first in 2 days. Some people have it in 2 weeks, months, years, or decades. I'm closer to 2 decades. It depends on you. The time you spend working toward projection is not wasted, though, because in the process you pick up other abilities.

FoolsDay

If you don't mind me asking, such as what?

Tom

Better concentration, the ability to stop thinking, relaxation (always important when there is so much stress going around), and healing with energy come to mind. I've been working with these for several years now.

kajaLove

Quote from: TomSome people have their first in 2 days. Some people have it in 2 weeks, months, years, or decades. I'm closer to 2 decades.

You're saying it took you almost 20 years for your first OBE ?

manuel

I never needed too, I guess the thing was just in me my whole life, I just switched it on one day and went from there.

Selski

I read about OBEs via a lucid dream website I'd been surfing.  Within a week of reading it, I had a lucid dream, and thought absent-mindedely, "hey, I can leave my body now", and so I did.  From there, I have had OBEs on average about once a week for the past two years, without actually doing anything proactive.  

Expect for thinking about them 22 hours a day  :wink:

I do relax every night before sleep (my own personalised way of relaxing).  I don't do energy work, I don't meditate, I don't particularly have a "routine" as such.  But if I happen to wake up at 4am and I'm not sleepy, I'll focus on OBEs and more times than not, they will happen.

I think over the months/years, I've learned to be inclined towards the sensations of OBEs and when they happen, I know what to do next.

So to answer your question honestly, one week.

Sarah
We all find nonsenses to believe in; it's part of being alive.

SerGei

I had my first after 8 months, and I practiced almost daily until that time.

But the first was 100% fully conscious (not from a lucid dream but from relaxation) and unforgettable.
Things are changing...

nicedreams

I have a lot of LD but no 100% fully conscious OBE yet that's what i really want

Tombo

" In order to arrive at a place you do not know you must go by a way you do not know "

-St John of the Cross

jason

It took me 2 weeks to achieve the vibrations (using Robert Monroes' method in Journeys Out Of The Body).That was about 1991.I was 15 yrs "old".1-3 days later I had My first OBE.

I had no Idea how powerful the vibrations would be until I got them for the first time.I felt like I was channelling a massive electrical current, and it was so strong that I had to fight my way out of it, feeling like every atom was being shook apart.I was frightened,but fascinated.
The musical conciousness is mind beneath the sun.

knightlight

2 years.  I sort of played around with the idea because ive been having lucid dreams my whole life, but after finding this and other sites on the net it took me about 3 months of constant focused practice for my first fully conscious obe.
Profound Impatience makes the blind struggle in Stupidity.

Michael_E

When i was about 16 my brother had come home from an occult shop with a book on astral projection. I cant remember the name, it had a bright blue cover, i think it was called astral projection or astral travels something like that. The approach was VERY esoteric and the parts that i read would have  had you drawing things in chalk around your bed. I vaugely remember chains being involved at some point too.

Upon reading all the rituals involved i put the book down, but had a RTZ projection the same night. At first i didnt know how to get out, i thought i was supposed to "exit" from my mouth, the vibes and all felt so physical.

This goes to show that the vibes presence arnt due to suggestion( since they were not mentioned in what i read), which some people might have you believe.
If you will it it is no dream.

-Theodore Herzl

XenXheng

Hi Foolsday,

After reading William Buhlman's book and trying Anne Varnes' (www.astralvoyage.com) techniques in tandem with his, I started having crystal clear dreams and flying experiences the day after I began the techniques.  In one dream, I was hanging on to a UFO bounding up and down, from the ground to a hundred feet in the air.  Goofy, I know!

I also had a very vivid dream that was almost like me being there in real life.  I was able to manipulate my surroundings with a thought.  For example, a tiny creature kept running around at my feet, and it annoyed me.  So I pointed my hand at it, and it stopped immediately.  "Flying" dreams and "controlling your surroundings" dreams are common after you start practicing.

Also, as with 89%? (somewhere around the vast majority, according to Mr. Buhlman's AP survey site) of people who try this fun stuff, I heard a voice say my name clear as day.  I was lying awake on my side in bed one night, and someone very clearly said, "Chris," right behind my head.  I turned around, and there was nobody there.

I felt the vibrations around 30 days after I started reading Mr. Buhlman's book, and made the vow to astral project.  I was 18 then.

I didn't separate then, because the vibrations were a lot stronger than I thought they would be, and I was too scared and surprised to separate.  After that, I experienced the vibrations a couple more times, and even a guide's hand grasping mine as I asked for help to separate, but never actually separated.  I lost interest because of this, and didn't actually have my first OBE until six months later, when I started practicing again.  This one happened, again, a month after I started practicing.

I felt the vibrations once or twice, but finally separated that night.  It was short, like thirty to sixty seconds, but it happened!

I stopped practicing again after that because despite doing the techniques every night, nothing happened for like two weeks.  I had some spontaneous experiences without practicing in college about three or four months later, including some semi-separation and feeling the vibrations.

Four more years went by, and I didn't feel even as much as a jolt while I didn't practice.  I started again last week, listening to gnomad's mp3 and using affirmations.  My dreams are becoming clearer as a result.  Also, I'm using NEW to raise energy while I affirm, which I think is helping out.

So to sum up in a handy-dandy little chart:

- From first practicing to clearer dreams: 1 day
- From clearer dreams to vibrations and other spooky stuff: 30 days
- From vibrations to separation (after losing my fear): 30 days

I should note that Mr. Buhlman himself says 30 days is rather normal, with dedicated practice (affirmations, dream journal, all that good stuff).  I'm thinking that reading that made it all the more easy for my higher self to set a nice, agreed upon time to succeed.  Pity he didn't say 5 days was normal!

Chris

markulous

At about a week or 2 after I had been reading about OBE's I could have exited however, I stopped myself short a couple times because I was scared.  But after about 3 weeks I was mentally prepared and exited.