How should I practice astral projection ?

Previous topic - Next topic

M4RT1N

Right now I'm doing this technique where i set an alarm for 4am every night and after a few weeks I should be able to wake up at that time without the alarm clock and just relax, don't move, don't open my eyes and get into sleep paralysis. I'm just doing that but I'm not doing any other technique, this technique might take over a month and i don't know if it will even work for me, i want to have as much chance of APing as possible, and to practice as much as I can. I can't practice during the day so when and how should i practice ?

The technique I use sometimes is just relax and repeat a word in my head or focus on the breath.

Astralzombie

Answer: When you can. It doesn't matter if many people have more success at certain times. If you have a practical reason that prevents you from doing the same, the only solution is to practice when you can.

Don't stop trying a certain technique until you give it at least a couple of weeks. A month is even better probably but I know how impatient we can be. After you have tried several different techniques without success, try combining some or simplify them in your own way.

Remember that many of us were introduced to this without knowing it was even possible. So it is suffice to say that no technique is needed. However, that approach won't benefit us on a consistent basis.

I just wanted to illustrate the point that this is easy but no one ever realizes that until after they have put in a lot of hard work. Irony.

The real key to success is never giving up.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain

justin35ll

It's all personal preference.
Personally, I wouldn't want to set an alarm for 4am like you're doing. Only because I'd rather not disrupt my regular sleep schedule, but if that's good for YOU then keep going with it.
I prefer to do it at 7am when I'm woken up from my parents making noise around the house, but I don't have school or work in the morning so I am able to try multiple times all the way up til 11am.
So essentially I'm doing the same technique as you, but just at later time. But this might not work for you if you are busy and have to get up early.

Recently I have also been trying to phase during meditation sessions. I do these once or twice a day during the afternoon/evening. This includes me lying in bed on my back, doing a few breathing exercises to relax, then just letting myself fall asleep while noticing. I'm sure you've heard of that technique and you can read more about it on xanth's page, but it has been working well for me and I feel like I'm at the doorway to a projection the last few attempts, but I haven't achieved it yet.

Astralsuzy

Quote from: justin35ll on February 10, 2013, 22:29:54
It's all personal preference.
Personally, I wouldn't want to set an alarm for 4am like you're doing. Only because I'd rather not disrupt my regular sleep schedule, but if that's good for YOU then keep going with it.
I prefer to do it at 7am when I'm woken up from my parents making noise around the house, but I don't have school or work in the morning so I am able to try multiple times all the way up til 11am.
So essentially I'm doing the same technique as you, but just at later time. But this might not work for you if you are busy and have to get up early.

Recently I have also been trying to phase during meditation sessions. I do these once or twice a day during the afternoon/evening. This includes me lying in bed on my back, doing a few breathing exercises to relax, then just letting myself fall asleep while noticing. I'm sure you've heard of that technique and you can read more about it on xanth's page, but it has been working well for me and I feel like I'm at the doorway to a projection the last few attempts, but I haven't achieved it yet.

That is great to hear.  You are conditioning yourself to relax and to ap.  In time you will ap.  I did what you did and I eventually ap.  Unfortunately I stopped months ago and now I am making an effort to practice to ap before I go to sleep every night.  In time I will be able to ap again in the evening.

Astralsuzy

Quote from: M4RT1N on February 10, 2013, 13:36:35
Right now I'm doing this technique where i set an alarm for 4am every night and after a few weeks I should be able to wake up at that time without the alarm clock and just relax, don't move, don't open my eyes and get into sleep paralysis. I'm just doing that but I'm not doing any other technique, this technique might take over a month and i don't know if it will even work for me, i want to have as much chance of APing as possible, and to practice as much as I can. I can't practice during the day so when and how should i practice ?

The technique I use sometimes is just relax and repeat a word in my head or focus on the breath.
I could be wrong but I noticed a good way to help you to stay awake.  When I meditate, it seems to help me stay awake a lot longer provided I do not meditate when I am tired.  You may want to try that.

ChopstickFox

I practice before I go to bed then have gotten into the habbit of kind of auto trying in the morning because I tend to wake up a lot of times before actually getting up. I've only had success upon waking, but that doesn't stop me from trying at other times. I think it helps and who knows maybe one of these days it will work in the evening while I'm falling asleep, hehe.
Take to the sky, feeling so alive! Past the clouds to the Milky Way, share our secrets with the starry brigade. The stars surround us like a million fireflies. For once I see infinity... it's in your eyes.

Bedeekin

*have a nap in the evening ChopstickFox*

It can be anytime once you get the hang of it I have recently found. lol

But I personally used to mainly do it at night and if it didn't and I just fell asleep - normally into a vivid dream - I would catch it in the morning before I went to school/college/work.

M4RT1N

I think I'll meditate before going to bed, then I'll just concentrate on the breath (mainly) then wake up at 4am then put my clothes on, stay up for 5 minutes then lie on top of my bed with the blankets under me with my clothes on, then relax and repeat a word in my head. Good idea ? also what technique do you all use ? I don't know if just repeating a word in my head is an very effective way to AP.

Xanth

Quote from: M4RT1N on February 11, 2013, 15:34:02
I think I'll meditate before going to bed, then I'll just concentrate on the breath (mainly) then wake up at 4am then put my clothes on, stay up for 5 minutes then lie on top of my bed with the blankets under me with my clothes on, then relax and repeat a word in my head. Good idea ? also what technique do you all use ? I don't know if just repeating a word in my head is an very effective way to AP.
That sounds just fine.

Remember what the goal is though...
*ALL* projection techniques are about the same thing: Reducing the physical sensory input your senses receive, and ALLOWING yourself to receive input from "somewhere else". 

That's it.  That's all you're doing when you're doing a projection technique.  :)

Every single technique you've ever heard about boils down to that simple fact.

Contenteo

Try getting up and doing stuff.

If I try that technique I'll get up and start cleaning up a menial part of the house.
I get bored very quick (within 10 minutes) and head straight to my phase attempt once that classic "Screw it, I am going back to bed" feeling kicks in.

That has always been the best mindset cue for me.

Cheers,
Contenteo