How to induce sleep paralysis?

Previous topic - Next topic

jujuman

What are some good methods for inducing sleep paralysis? I've found Wellbutrin SR can do it some, also of course fatigue/weird sleeping patterns/coffee combination, but I am wondering if there is a more concrete method?

maverick7h

Sorry, have to say it....

Sleep paralysis is induced by.....

Sleep.

Synergy

Sleep paralysis is basically an element of normal REM sleep that ocurrs out of sync with the normal sleep / wake cycles.  Basically, the paralysis that everyone experiences during REM (to prevent acting out our dreams) encroaches upon the waking or semi-waking state.  Narcoleptics experience this more often than the rest of us, but SP can also happen for no known reason (isolated sleep paralysis).

Since REM sleep happens while the brainwaves lower to theta (4-8 Hz), ideally you want to lower them yourself (by meditation and relaxation) and you want to keep alpha (8-12Hz) rhythms in there too in order to maintain consciousness. The numbers in Hz don't mean much really unless you plan on using brainwave entrainment, but you can successfully lower them yourself by meditation.  You need to get into a trance like state, while remaining fully conscious to mimic the state you'd be in if SP happened spontaneously.  And it is possible!
From the trance like state you can actually kind of bring yourself into a self induced REM state... not real REM but if you relax and let go enough your eyes may begin to move as if in REM.  You will feel the vibrations from this point and may end up in sleep paralysis. 

Sleep Paralysis that happens spontaneously seems to happen most of the time when in the supine position (laying on your back).

Also, abruptly interfearing with REM may help sp to happen spontaneously.  As a general rule... we don't enter REM sleep until about 90-120 mins after we fall asleep.  So you can set an alarm to wake you about 1 hour and 45 mins after you go to sleep.  If you do this several nights in a row, then maybe you will wake up out of REM automatically the next time. 

If I find any more ways to help I will post them.

My Site: SPIRIT-QUEST An OBE community w/ mbr jrnls, ebook lib, music dlds, video, forum & more! 
Read my free 105 pg OBE E-Book

Mydral

I wonder why you want to do it in the first place..... if you want to Astral travel you don't need to conciously induce sleep paralysis.
Secondly I don't think having  your body paralysed is the most pleasant experience to have....
In somnis veritas

upstream

As many said before, inducing sleep paralysis is not an easy thing and neither it is necessary. But it's an excellent training and a very concrete goal to grasp onto while falling asleep.

To start with, you have to severely disrupt your normal sleep schedule like waking up after about 2-3 hours of sleep and remaining awake for 1-2 hours at least or alternately waking up and falling asleep in very short time spans in the first 3-4 hours of sleep.

Then you should fall asleep on your back. It's the best position to get aware of sleep paralysis. Concentrate on your hara while falling asleep or the middle of your chest and repeatedly pretend that you are paralysed. Do this also every time when you catch yourself dozing off. Later when you get actually paralysed you may feel strong pressure at one of these points. Use this point in your later experiments.

I've found that the chest pressure comes with more dreamy experiences. But I would prefer to hold my attention on the hara / lower dantien regio because it's more easy to feel. Try to raise energy through your legs to locate and stimulate this point in your lower abdomen.

This action probably actually potentiate the REM sleep generating acetylcholine system in the brainstem. I believe when my hara starts to pulse right at the beginning, my state is especially favorable for directly entering REM sleep.

fost500

Quote from: Mydral on August 07, 2006, 12:03:26
I wonder why you want to do it in the first place..... if you want to Astral travel you don't need to conciously induce sleep paralysis.
Secondly I don't think having  your body paralysed is the most pleasant experience to have....
Mydral, Although sleep paralysis can be awfully frightenin, it is a state which people wanting to experience OBEs should certainly attempt to attain. Sleep paralysis in a nut shell is "Mind awake, body asleep" which as im sure you all know, is the perfect state to exit.
It was my prior experiences with SP which lead me to these forums. One episode in paticular was the closest iv ever been to exiting, but i bottled it. Yes i know im an idiot for doin that, and ever since then iv been tryin to find ways of SP induction. So to answer your question, that is why people want to do it.
This link might explain it better... :-)

http://www.saltcube.com/out-of-body/chat-forum/viewTopic.jsp?t=paralysis

BTW what is Wellbutrin SR. Is this some kind of medication which causes SP? I think i read somewhere that Vicadin has the same effect. I wouldnt know though, and i would much rather the induction to be natural  :-D
Death is only tragic for those who get left behind

David Warner

Mydral,

From my experiences with OBE, sleep paralysis is easier for me to slip into then becoming lucid within the dream and projecting. I think there's something to say about mind awake, body asleep starting from this position of projecting. I've noticed when I awake from the dream into the astral its easier to fall back into that dream bubble vs. projecting from the wide awake state you've all your mental facilities and less problematic to slipping into unconsciousness.

Sleep paralysis is scarry at first, there's no question about it. I've projected thousands of times and always returned w/o fail. The best thing you can do is relax, enjoy, try to shed the fear and be joyfull by singing a song, praying to god for guidence, affirmations etc.

Hope this helps!

Tvos
InvisibleLight - Book Release 12.12.2012
www.invisiblelight.us

kiwibonga

Quote from: fost500 on August 08, 2006, 08:11:36
BTW what is Wellbutrin SR. Is this some kind of medication which causes SP? I think i read somewhere that Vicadin has the same effect. I wouldnt know though, and i would much rather the induction to be natural  :-D

I don't remember what it is, but I remember the face of the guy who says that it has a low risk of sexual side effects in the commercial :p

I think it's an anti-depressant...
OBE counter: Lost track! 35+ since 3/21/2006

upstream

That's very likely as serotonin imbalance is supposed to play some role in isolated sleep paralysis.

jujuman

Wellbutrin SR is a 'sustained release' version of the antidepressant Wellbutrin.

falsetigerlimbs

Oh wooowww I'm on that medication (it is an anti-depressant). Well, I was on the extended release version but now I'm on the regular. I need to get on it again! Strangely, I've been wishing lately that I was on the SR version. It makes me feel better.
But I bet that's why I randomly started having sleep paralysis! I never even thought of that!

MisterJingo

Ways I've found of inducing sleep paralysis include:

Get too much sleep.
If I have more sleep than I'm used to, and then I keep lying in bed forcing myself back into sleep, this is normally always guaranteed to induce the vibrations. I don't have the time to do it frequently though :).

Visualisation.
On the border of sleep, create 'visual' images in the minds eye, being close to sleep usually reinforces their vividness. Make them as realistic as possible. If you wake in the night, do the same (it seems more productive doing it from a nap rather than when first going to sleep). I find this usually sees me either becoming lucid while asleep, or waking up in a paralysis state (with vibrations).

Disrupt sleep.
Simply sleep lots, but in small doses. A good technique, but one which requires lots of free time, is to sleep on and off in 4 hr slots e.g. be awake for 4 hrs, sleep for 4 hrs, awake... etc.

Naps.
Taking naps in the afternoon (utilising visualisation around the hypnogogic stage) can induce paralysis in me.

Meditation and similar techniques.
Regular meditation and similar techniques seems to increase frequency of spontaneous sleep paralysis. These other techniques could be visualisation, energy work etc. I don't think the object of the state is important, just that you are acclimatising your mind to certain levels of focus and awareness while the attention is focused inwards (such as energy/chakra work). These techniques need to be used frequently overtime to see any benefit.

This is not an exact science, so experiment and see what is good for you.

blade5x

Quote from: Mydral on August 07, 2006, 12:03:26

The only way I have been able to project is through Sleep Paralysis.

It's not that hard to induce given you try it at the right times. My biggest feat is just having the willpower to even try when I wake really tired ready to go back to sleep.

For peolpe who meditate? Does the meditation cause you to have paralysis, or do you just completely forget about your body enabling you to project? (something I cannot do)

Nay

I've never been able to induce it... don't think I would want to, it's quite scary.  I just had one yesterday morning in fact.  I heard some dude at the bottom of my stairs yelling up at me.  :-o  I strained and I mean strained to get up.  It was a very quick movement and I found myself up and out and right on my feet, only to snap back like a taut rubberband.  I have to admit I was starting to get weirded out because my right arm had some carved message on it.  I started to read it (it was upside down) and then thought...nah, I don't want to see it.  I then again jumped up only to rubberband right back.  I finally got a hold of myself and took a deep breath and all was fine.  I was awake (in my physical) and able to move again.

I usually don't go back to sleep after such a experience...chicken that I am..but I did and I believe I found myself in a belief system.  It was pretty cool.  :-)