Is dissociation a form of astral projection?

Previous topic - Next topic

Hesperus

Is dissociation a form of controlled astral projection?  I had a violent beginning to my growing up.  I only discovered recently that there is a name for what happens to me under stress or in a place that reminds me of a past event.  It happens far less since I have become aware of what it is.  Since it is a survival response, I was just wondering if they were connected.

CFTraveler

I wouldn't think so because in AP your consciousness stays with your point of view and you experience whatever is happening, while in dissociation you're supposed to 'blank out' and not remember what happened in a certain period of time.  The memory is in your subconscious, but your conscious awareness loses time, while in an AP there is no gap in awareness.
But then again, what do I know.  I'm one of those people who remembers everything, even stuff I don't want to.

Xanth

Quote from: Hesperus on March 10, 2011, 20:32:08
Is dissociation a form of controlled astral projection?  I had a violent beginning to my growing up.  I only discovered recently that there is a name for what happens to me under stress or in a place that reminds me of a past event.  It happens far less since I have become aware of what it is.  Since it is a survival response, I was just wondering if they were connected.
I'm assuming you're referring to the supposed mental health condition?

Cause, I talk about "physical body disassociation" all the time in regards to achieving a projection, which, I guess, is different than what you're talking about.  :)

Quote from: CFTraveler on March 10, 2011, 22:54:59
But then again, what do I know.  I'm one of those people who remembers everything, even stuff I don't want to.
I drank too much one of my first few times drinking... wow, I'm GLAD I don't remember that night from what I'm told.  >_>

Astral316

I think the OP may be referring to mild dissociative disorders generally triggered by anxiety... depersonalization, derealization, etc. I've had some experience with these things and they aren't true out of body experiences as your consciousness isn't shifting away from the physical, but rather perceiving it differently.

Xanth

CFTraveler

I thought the OP was referring to either the loss of a memory (repression) of something traumatic, or mpd perhaps.

personalreality

They are one and the same to me.  Dissociation in a psychological sense (as in multiple personalities, or something to that effect) is a form of astral projection where instead of exploring other realities with "your" consciousness, you explore a reality with a different consciousness.
be awesome.

Hesperus

Thank you for the great responses.  I do not blank out, though I do have blank spots in my childhood.  I go from being an actor to an observer.  My sight becomes a little bit fuzzy.  It's kind of like I am watching t.v. and it is me but not me. Under great stress, I do blank out.  I can drive from A-B and not remember the drive.  Or I will come to awareness not reccognizing where I am.  I used to lucid dream all of the time as an escape.  Anyhow thanks again. I was not meaning to turn it into a mental discussion :)

Xtensity

Quote from: Hesperus on March 11, 2011, 18:18:05
Thank you for the great responses.  I do not blank out, though I do have blank spots in my childhood.  I go from being an actor to an observer.  My sight becomes a little bit fuzzy.  It's kind of like I am watching t.v. and it is me but not me. Under great stress, I do blank out.  I can drive from A-B and not remember the drive.  Or I will come to awareness not reccognizing where I am.  I used to lucid dream all of the time as an escape.  Anyhow thanks again. I was not meaning to turn it into a mental discussion :)

Ahh but mental discussions can be good as they can shed new light on various topics directly related to this forum that haven't been talked about before.

The Present Moment

We can't answer this without experiencing it ourselves.

donzieja

Quote from: Hesperus on March 11, 2011, 18:18:05
I do not blank out, though I do have blank spots in my childhood.  I go from being an actor to an observer.  My sight becomes a little bit fuzzy.  It's kind of like I am watching t.v. and it is me but not me.

I can clearly remember me as a child walking around my old house, but seeing it from the perspective of a 6 ft tall man about 3 & 1/2 feet behind me. Amazing!

It's as if every event that had ever occurred in my life suddenly makes sense, and all is coming together... It's like the time has come for me to evolve. I know that sounded kind of weird, but it feels shockingly true and real.

Hesperus

Quote from: donzieja on March 13, 2011, 14:44:25
I can clearly remember me as a child walking around my old house, but seeing it from the perspective of a 6 ft tall man about 3 & 1/2 feet behind me. Amazing!

It's as if every event that had ever occurred in my life suddenly makes sense, and all is coming together... It's like the time has come for me to evolve. I know that sounded kind of weird, but it feels shockingly true and real.

It does not sound weird:)  It sounds like a good thing!  Whatever you are doing, sounds like you are doing it right and are growing from it:)

donzieja

owltwelve

I have experienced both dissociation from stress, as well as OBEs in the classical sense, & I would say they feel like the same mechanism. I don't experience dissociation as a regular disorder, but once when I felt very angry and betrayed by some one I love, as well as another time during a care accident, I felt myself leaving my body. It was like I kind of unfocused my attention to this reality. My conscious awareness was still there but I was allowing it to slip from my body.

mels8780

ooo, if it is, I have projected at least twice. Hmm.