Lucid Dream or OBE?

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatIsReal

Hi everyone,

For a long time, I have been trying to have an OBE. Lately, I have decided to get really serious about it. I have been reading up a lot on it and saturating my mind with material. I have also been trying techniques, and I also used the Gateway CDs about a month ago.

Anyway, last night, I was having a dream where I was walking on a sidewalk. During the dream, I realize that I am dreaming. At first, I try to stay calm because in the past when I became lucid in a dream, I would tend to immediately wake up. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what is a good solution. Anyway, I continue the dream for a little bit, but remember reading that I can try to make an exit attempt from a Lucid Dream, so I imagine returning to my body. I do so, and I attempt to roll out. I don't feel anything, but I think I am successful. For all intents and purposes, I think I am having a real OBE. However, I can't move at all. Also, my environment seems maybe a little hazy/dreamlike. I try to command myself to float or move to another area, but nothing happens. I tell myself that from what I read I should just be able to move anywhere by thinking it. I can't fly, nothing. However, I do think at the time I am out of my body and in the RTZ of my bedroom. Soon, I hear a taunting laugh, and I get scared and desire to go back to my body. At first, I don't go back to my body, and also think that is weird, but then I waken up with a feeling of being jolted.

Thoughts? Was I just having a lucid dream? I obviously had some level of consciousness. I don't think I had a real projection since I could not move or anything. I did ask for clarity a few times and demanded my body move but nothing happened. Also, upon awakening, the experience did seem dream-like. So, maybe I had a lucid dream where the dream was that I was having an OBE. I don't know. But, I guess this is good and means I am on the right track and closer to having a real OBE unless I already did, in which case, I need to figure something out.

LightBeam

Quote from: WhatIsReal on July 14, 2013, 19:40:58
Anyway, I continue the dream for a little bit, but remember reading that I can try to make an exit attempt from a Lucid Dream, so I imagine returning to my body.

That was your mistake. You have to understand that dreams and lucid dreams take place in the astral. The only difference between the above and OBE is the amount of awareness. You don't have to go back to your physical body in order to have an exit. You were already "out". What you did was you got yourself into a sleep paralysis from where you were not able to move due to fears, or not knowing exactly what to do to shift your awareness. So, as soon as you realize in a dream that you are dreaming, think instantly of a place you want to be, or simply start using your thoughts to navigate your experience. You are already in the astral, only during dreams your environment and circumstances are lead by your sub conscious thoughts, beliefs, fears, etc without conscious awareness. Also, if you find yourself in a sleep paralysis, quickly think that you are standing next to your bed, and then take it from there. Don't try to roll over. A physical like movement during shift of awareness is less effective than a thought of teleportation so to speak.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Szaxx

Thanks Lightbeam, I was posting this and a reply made message came to my attention. I'll post it anyway and shout snap.

When in a lucid dream and you become aware of yourself as in the physical. You only need a thought to change your location to any other. The very last place to go that almost kills any progress is to your body.
The general idea is to not be close. The term out of body is a clue. Get away fifty feet or more but don't return.
Change the LD into your friends house and really know that you are going there. It should be quite easy to do.
You can nosey around too and ask questions on what you percieved.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

ChopstickFox

I have the same problem with lucid dreams sometimes... It's hard not to get a bit giddy, haha! I remember my first prominent lucid dream I had in a long time. I went buck nutty for a few moments then woke up.

I think with time it gets easier to not get as excitable... Because you weren't able to move, thought you were in your room, and heard that thing, you might have been somewhere between awake and asleep in sleep paralysis. Don't worry, nothing can hurt you and there's no danger or anything, but the state is pretty notorious for hallucinations. Your fears can kind of reflect back at you, too. Perfectly natural. :D
Take to the sky, feeling so alive! Past the clouds to the Milky Way, share our secrets with the starry brigade. The stars surround us like a million fireflies. For once I see infinity... it's in your eyes.

WhatIsReal

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I am not sure if I was in a sleep paralysis. Maybe I was. I was trying to only move my nonphysical body, but I was having no success with that. Although, probably because like everyone has said because I was too close to my physical body. Next time I will try to go to my girlfriends house when I am having a LD. I want to have at least one experience in the RTZ before moving on.

Also, it is not that I get too excited when having a lucid dream, the thing is that my awareness becomes "too intense," and I wake up. I am not sure how to describe what I am saying, but more often than not, when I realize that I am dreaming, I will immediately wake up. This was a rare occurrence where that did not happen.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

roman67

It normally happens with me also in lucid dream. When you aware that you are dreaming. That is called lucid dreaming. It seems very real.

Lionheart

Bedeekin recently made this excellent post on Facebook and it is definitely quite fitting to this current discussion. So without further ado.................

"All experiences that happen independently of this reality take place in the nonphysical. Whether it's a day dream to a Near Death Experience... our 'awareness' is focusing away from our physical existence to different iterations of our nonphysical existence.

When we daydream we use this nonphysical self to act out the scenario we are daydreaming about but we are connected to it impartially.
When we dream we are watching it go about its nightly wanderings, getting involved in self imposed tests while trying to understand reality using symbolic language. this observance carries with it the same sort of thing that we experience during a film; we are emotionally involved and wrapped up in the narrative.
When we are LDing we suddenly become aware of this 'film' and step into our nonphysical self... whereupon we are able to interact with tactility and out actions are partially controllable but it still has a narrative that can at a moments notice grab the dreamer back into subconsciousness.
AP/OOBE is where we BECOME our nonphysical self and step into the dream environment (nonphysical) like we were stepping into the film set and becoming the player... only there is no narrative. One is analytical and able to observe, take notes, experiment and make conscious decisions.

It's possible for an OOBE to revert back to all the other iterations. Including impartial observing.

This is what I have found during the years practicing."

Lionheart

Last night I experienced a waking AP and a 2 completely different LD's in the same night.
I was having extreme pain in my back and shoulder, so I took a Percocet with my dinner at 9:00 pm. It took an hour for the pill to hit and once it did, I laid down on my bed and went into a 1 hour and half trance state. I can't really say I was sleeping because I was still aware of everything that was happening in the house and around me. I also had the TV in the bedroom on. I awoke around 11:30 came online and did some work until about 2 am. Normally I go to sleep between 4 and 5 am, so 2am was early for me.
Because of the recent Heat Wave that is being felt by most in the US, we have the air conditioner on. We also have a ceiling fan in our bedroom that is on for further circulation. Our air conditioner is set to turn on once the home gets warm again. MJ turns it down at night time, since it's cooler outdoors anyways. I say this because when I went to bed, I only used 1 light cover, but we have another thicker one on the bed.
So, I laid down in bed, did my night affirmations, created my Tetrahedral Points of focus and noticed for a little while. I clicked out, then clicked back in, with mild SP. I awaited for it to become stronger, but then MJ flipped around and the SP went away. So, I just laid there with that sense of awakening that SP brings and noticed.
I then clicked out again, clicked back in and found the vibrations beginning again. Now, I could also feel the coolness of the room on my skin, the air conditioner must have just kicked in. I couldn't take that coolness any longer, so I broke the SP and grabbed the thicker blanket and put it on me. MJ already had both blankets on her, so all I had to do was flap it back to me. I then started noticing and again, finally clicked out. I then became aware again, this time SP was in full throttle, so I just allowed what was going to happen to happen.
I then felt like I was being pulled backwards by my feet and twisted. The visuals were that of a tunnel or vortex. There is no time there, so it's hard to say how long this went on for, but it seemed like I was tunneling through that area for at least a good 10 minutes. I was wondering when this ride was going to stop, but just saw it through.
Once the spinning stopped, I saw I was in a field/forest kind of setting. There was no one else around, no homes, just beautiful tall grass and very strange plants and trees. Everything was incredibly vivid. full of life and color. I explored this area for a while then decided to use this opportunity to go visit some "friends" and possibly do some healing.
I then awoke, sweating. The thick blanket was too much, so I took it off again, now just having the one thin blanket. This blanket on, blanket off thing went on quite a bit.
This is what caused me to awaken during my next 2 LD's.

Now, what I noticed, since I got to compare all of this first hand, is that AWARENESS is definitely the key. When I had what would be known as the classic OBE, I was already 100% conscious. I got to feel everything that that experience had to show. I could feel the SP first, the vibrations, then it was the twisting and spinning of going down that tunnel/vortex.
The view of the area when I got there was even enhanced as well. But I knew all along I was consciously aware of this.
Now for the LD's. Well first are you awaking in a foreign or another environment. You do  not know right away that you are dreaming. This realization comes after something out of the ordinary happens that clues you in to this. So at this point you are semi-conscious. Now, once you realize you are Dreaming and take over that Dream, then you are consciously aware of it, but still not fully, like you are with a classic AP. The longer the Dream goes, the more awareness you create. Then it finally is exactly like the classic AP. It seems as real as it is here. With an LD though, the destination that you are currently in was provided by your subconscious intent, no your conscious intent, as it is with a classic AP.
After having these experiences so close together I have concluded that the end goal/destination is the same. The path that is used can vary. But, I do fully understand how people can explain it otherwise. Sometime people awaken briefly in their Dream, but not with enough awareness to really give it a chance. If they prolonged the Dream until they finally were 100% consciously aware in it, they would find that a Dream is so much more than what we explain it away as. Many times when people start to become aware they are Dreaming, they wake up for real. This never gives them the chance to take total control of this environment and explore it further.
You really have to be able to AP and have LDs on a regular basis, to be able to discern what is really going on. At least for yourself that is.

Lionheart

Here is an excellent article by Anne Moss on AP and Dreaming, named "Astral Dreams".

http://www.astralvoyage.com/projection/ ... reams.html

I particularly enjoyed the quote at the end of the article.

" Buddha said that his enlightenment was from being Awake, but I'm sure he was Awake on every level. Awake to the fact that there are no dreams, only reality. We exchange one reality for another every night. And every night our higher self lovingly waits for us to Awaken."