Mental Illness or Sensitivity?

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Overactive upper chakras which are not grounded by the lower chakras can result in just the sort of problems you are talking about. The astral levels are very subjective, though, and the mafia makes for a powerful symbol. When the information is interpreted by the base level consciousness, maybe elvis is the closest idea for some people. Mental activities like trance induction would be more likely to cause the situation to worsen. Physical exercises, gardening, tai chi, massage, or anything based on the physical which would be firmly grounding could help to open up the lower chakras and to allow the flooded upper chakras to function more effectively. Physical sorts of disciplines are also a good idea for people who are around people with overactive upper chakras. When people interact the chakras of one person will interact and stimulate the chakras of the other people. There is a famous Buddhist author (Jack Kornfield) who worked in a psychiatric hospital and these were his observations.

Kenneth

Hi Meg !

Strange - I talked to the leadsinger in the Band i play in last week about this exact problem. He works at a mental institution as well.

He told me, that the psyciatrists they use at that center also uses things like "Zone therapy" (Working with the areas under your feet), Acupuncture (Working with thin needles in the Meridians), and a couple of other things.

Robert said in his NEW energy system, that "fuelling" the upper batteries with energy before the low battery is full (and balanced), can give som VERY nasty sideeffects (!) ... (Check the episode with the woman he worked on, that had a history of mental instability). Perhaps that could be a "pointer" how to help some of these unfortunate persons just a little ? ... (I am not sure, but that worked for me the last time I had a deep and VERY black depression - 1. Energywork, 2. One thing at a time, 3. stying in NOW instead of in the future or the past - and 4. Being gentle and comforting in my thoughts regarding my self. It took about 1,5 days to get the "upper" hand mentally again, and that is (for me) VERY fast indeed !! (I am one of those persons that suffer a little from Winter depressions, and I HAVE tried light-therapy as well, and that also works, but no where near the effect of this !!). This time it was an Old emotional issue that suddenly broke free, and I was unable to stay "balanced" through that feeling - so it sort of "swallowed" me down.
(Try and read Brandon Bays "The Journey" about how to deal with and handle feelings - she is VERY skilled at that I must say ;-) ...

I am not sure, but my intuition tells me, that "balancing" their energies in the battery just above the pubic line might help ?!? ...

/Kenneth

/Kenneth

--- One thing at a time, be in NOW, and be gentle to yourself ---

--- Your biggest obstacle is most of the time also your most powerfull startingpoint ---

Meg

Tom, thats interesting... Since I've been working there, I have really felt the need to do things that ground me, as you suggest. In the last two years, I have learned cooking, ceramics, mosaic, crocheting, and dress-making! Isn't it funny the way we intuitively fill these needs?

Meg

"...listening like the orange tree..."  - John Shaw Neilson

http://journeytothecentre.blogspot.com

Helmut

Hi Meg,
I have some clients too, that are schizophrenic. No way they would have become shamans at any time. I think the surface stucture of this disease and spiritual experiences is very similar, but in deep structure there is a difference. There are crossings of course, and why should schizophrenics not have OBEs? Maybe they are quite normal outside!
If you return from a shamanic voyage, you know you were in a different realm. But schizophrenics can not make this distinction, they are kind of stuck in that experience and can not live a normal live in our realm(reality) and tell what experience belongs to what level, they mix it all up.

I don`t think "hearing voices" qualifies for mental treatment, but if you can`t realise it`s another reality and insist on telling the doctor you have some divine mission, they might well sedate you.
Have you read Stan Grof for example? I very much like his concept of spiritual crisis, where he looks in great detail at the difference/similarity between Spiritual Awakening and mental illness. Really worth a read!

Bye,
Helmut.

Meg

Helmut - I'm glad you see the point I am trying to make. It is very easy to romanticise Mental Illness and give it qualities which may not necessarily be there. I am so wary of doing that, that I border on paranoia myself! (hoho) The reality, the blood and guts, of Schizophrenia is not like it is in the movies: It DOESN"T make sense, there IS no redemption. We really are talking about people who can't fuction.

However, I really can't discount that there is psychic potential in some of them that they are simply not able to use. I have seen so many "coincidences" that I can't write off.

Ta for your feedback.

Meg

Paukki

So are we saying here that it is possible to see stars in the waters of a marsh?  Or that in the babble of a shell-shocked veteran returning from a bombarded entrenchment, a sharp interrogator might be able to pick up a little bit of military intelligence?  I've a personal reason for being interested in this discussion, because I had two severe schizophrenic episodes, 16 months apart, while I was in the military.  Both times I felt as if I were starting to gain some valid spiritual insights or coming into a bit of psi ability, (albeit very limited), but I lacked, what?...discretion?  a certain required groundedness?....and I entered into these nightmarish episodes within which it became very difficult to keep my imagination from getting carried away withitself, (therefore, I would think things and talk as if they should be understood by people, when in fact people weren't understanding me very well, if at all).  Within the type of Christian religioisity that was very much a part of these difficulties, there existed much potential for inner conflict, as surely as there were those who pushed for spiritual empowerment, while others warned about the problems involved with the expansion of mind required to so enter more deeply in the "spiritual realm", or even "warfare".  Perhaps this kind of warning is not isolated to western religion, but is also found in the east?  Yet the mind, when it is desparate, seeks to fly even if it should still be sitting in a comfy nest, high in a tree somewhere, being fed worms by mom and dad.  So I remember, many, many earth-spins ago, how tragic were the stories of some of my fellow wardmates, such as the fellow who could see only evil everywhere in human existence, and he stepped naked out of his trailer and fell on his face onto the ground, hoping beyond hope to merely merge with mother earth and bask in her love and be away from his pain.  All he got out of it was a broken, bloody nose, and a raft of tears.  In my own struggles, like one of you wrote about, I had to get grounded, and when I started to come out of it, the first thing I noticed bringing me back to reality was the marvelous, smooth feel of a meeting room table.  Then I started to keep track of clocks and dates on newspapers.  Later on, I would tell myself, if feeling anxious in a supermarket, "Get back down to earth!"  And so it would be.  Hmm.  I'm dragging on more than I should.  But anyway, is everybody really ready to mount up as  with eagles wings?  And one other thing.  I have a friend in a mental health group who somewhat casually told his therapist he was hearing "voices" of a negative kind, but he was speaking metaphorically, (not having literal auditory hallucinations.)  This therapist was ready to jump on him with pills and caused the poor fellow no small bit of anxiety.  

--Paukki

Kenneth

Hi meg !

Have you read Robert Bruce's training-guide "The NEW system" presented in the Training section of this web-site ? ...

I use grounding a lot too (Gardening, Nature, Fishing etc.), but it feels like a rather "slow" process to ground feelings and skills like that i think.
After starting with the NEW system (and cleaning the areas on my feet that are used for obtaining energy from the ground ... OUCH - that hurt / stung ;-) ), I have NOT had the need to actually "ground" my self anymore ?!? .... (I still enjoy it very much - but it has changed from being a "Must" to more like a "I feel like nurturing my self now" kind of thing.

I don't know if this is because it basically is the same "type" of energy you obtain, when doing "grounding-works" and doing the "new" system's way of obtaining energy through your feet, up through the legs, and keeping it in storage in your center just above your pubic line ?

I am not sure if this is the case (As I can only speek for my self *S*), but it makes sence to me. The imagination of creating "roots" from your feet down through the earth to enhance the energy-intake also suggests some form of "grounding" to me ?

When i use my hands and arms to obtain energy it fells a little different from the energy obtained from the earth, but I am not skilled enough yet to clearly tell the difference.
(It is the same thing with the energy obtained through my mouth / throat, and the energy obtained through my Crown chakra, in those few occacions where I have had direct acces to this type of energy. They all seem a little "different" in their quality - their "heavines" - their "power" ... (a bit difficult to describe))

To me it feels like the difference between a "passive" healing / stabilizing factor (from the sorroundings you are in - the things you do, that sort of "rub off" on you) - but you are not "concius" as to what is going on, other than you KNOW it helps, and to a more "active" healing / stabilizing, when you are actively obtaining energy from the ground, and know what you are doing ?

Just a few thoughts ;-) ....

Kenneth
/Kenneth

--- One thing at a time, be in NOW, and be gentle to yourself ---

--- Your biggest obstacle is most of the time also your most powerfull startingpoint ---

Meg

Kenneth, I bought AD a few weeks back, and I am doing the early exersises at the moment.  I think up to this point, I've really underestimated the importance of energy work. In terms of of my OBE experiences particularly - when I think back to those phases where as a result of grief or stress or nothing in particular, I've become very psychically sensitive, I think its no wonder I didn't cope with it very well -my whole energy system was out of whack. It stands to reason that the more energy your lower chakras/energy storage systems have flowing throguh them, the more strength you can maintain on a higher level without losing that groundedness. This is all obvious I suppose, but its quite a revelation to me!

Meg

Leyla

MEG- After my first OBE's  I went to see a doctor believing I had Schizophrenia.

I explained in detail about how I leave my body, hear voices, see beings that are not there. I asked her if there was medication for me- anit-psychotics.

She said " You're saner than sane. I suggest you study shamanism.'

On here it is not uncommon to be attacked by fragmented parts of youself that you have cut off and denied.

I believe whole heartedly these unfortunate schizophrenics have excessive repressed traumas. Their buried guilts are fears manifest in various symbolic ways.

I- for instance- had no memory of being sexually molested as a child, until I sat up out of my body and was attacked by a murderous Doll and Teddy Bear.

I managed to wrestle them down. Three days later I had a full on flashback and remembered it all.

Windameir

So Meg,
Are you thinking along the line that some of your patients are mentally ill because of their inability to rationalise their excursions into or continued connection with altered states and seperate them from normal reality? and possably that their might be an answer for some of them through grounding or by learning about "the energy system" or/and Altered states of conciousness like the out of body experience and how to deal with or control the effects of them.

I have read many stories from people on this bbs telling of how they didn't know how do deal with experiences they had such as obe's or waking paralisis and had thoughts that they might be loopy until they had gained  information that helped them to understand that it was experienced by many others.

What I think im trying to get at is Might there be people institutionalised or on powerfull medication that infact are experienceing what is considered normal (by most of the people who frequent this bbs)  "Altered" states of conciousness but are hospitalised because of lack of understanding by either themselves or by the Physicians treeting them? or by the complete rejection by Western medicine that such a thing as an OBE is possable.

Its not all just our Imagination

Happy Travels
Windameir

Meg

Hi everyone,

I had a brief discussion with some of you about this on an unrelated thread a while back, but I'm curious to hear more of people's opinions.

I work with Schizophrenics, and I'm always at a loss as to how to differentiate the diffence between delusion and extra-sensory/astral-type perception. I think it's dreadfully important not to romanticise the illness, but since I've been reading about OBE etc, it's starting to strike me how thin the line is.

For example, I was projecting the other night, and I appeared to run into one of the residents at my work, who was standing with what seemed to be a guide (though I didn't speak with him/her or get a good look.) This particular guy has told me on a number of occasions how he has been "visited" by his mother, who died a year ago. A few of the others have described projection type experiences to me as well, saying things like: "On the weekend I came out of my body and I heard a buzzing sound." And this is unprompted, I promise. It does seem like some of the things they experience are genuine "visions",  rather than being symptomatic of their illness.

I understand that the system we have now is different to other cultures, where people we would now call "crazy" became shamans and the like.  I guess that idea is what I'm driving at. But here's the thing - some of their experiences ARE delusions...They are not Elvis Presley, or the president of the Hell's Angels; the Mafia has not taken a hit out on them. Know what I mean?

Are these "dreams"?  Manifestations of fears or fantasies that have found their way into the physical world?

And... If I was trapped at the other end of the system, would they sedate me for hearing voices before I am about to go to sleep...?

(sorrry. just needed a rant, i think...)

Meg