necessary solitude/consequences of company

Previous topic - Next topic

cainam_nazier

I do not think that the presence of another person is all that important to the equation unless ofcourse that person bring tension.  As it is with all things peace and balance.  Any difficulties a person may have with meditation/projection when there is another person present is because that person is a sorce of tension, stress, or negative emotional responce.  I personally have no difficulty meditating while some one else is present unless for some reason that person bothers me in some other manner.  It is not the physical presence a person or pet brings into the room but rather thier emotional or energy presence.  People effect others in a multitude of ways, some may cause you to become more aware of them because of worry, while other may have a passifying effect.  It is totally dependant on the individual and your relationship to them.

David Rogalski
cainam_nazier@hotmail.com

steveb

Greetings fellow hermit- type, "hermits unite". Strange thing about being in the  hermit- type category I've found is that I dont have a problem with it, but most other people do,"you should do this, you should do that", " hey" I like my own company.
         I have not projected as yet and the kids know if dads practicing something to be quite ( as far as kids can be ).
         I did an asrtal course a while ago and found that the energy in a  group of like minded people had a very powerfull atmosphere.

Regards Steve

WalkerInTheWoods

I am also a hermit type. I find that I can project best when I am alone. When I was single I spent a lot of time practicing projecting, probably atleast an hour or two each day. This was when I was first learning to project and having all that time to dedicate to the practice really helped. Now i am no longer single and have a 6 month old daughter. Time is something I no longer have much of. And I am very lucky if I can get a moment all to myself to project. Lately I have been projecting with people around. It does not effect me much. If the person  is in the other room not making much noise it is no problem at all to me. If the person is doing something in the same room it can be distracting some times but if they are quiet it is not too bad. Although I perfer to be alone, I find some comfort in knowing that someone is close by incase something should happen on the physical plane so they can take care of my body.

Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.

bitsmart

Ha! I'da never thought there were so many people like me. I too am "my own best friend." What solitude has done for me is allowed the 'real me' to blossom and grow. As I adjust to these new aspects of me, I slowly let them come out around other people.

You see, I'm a Gemini, and I've figured out what the two sides of me are: the internal, and the external. I go out into social situations, gather data and inspiration, then retreat into solitude percolate, then I repeat the process. As will all things, if you want to lead a balanced life you must walk the middle way; you must have BALANCE. Heh.

bitsmart -
information illumination -
bitsmart@bitsmart.org -

nitetravler

Count me in as a hermit type also. It's strange, but there seems to be some sort of stigma about being alone, as though society places extreme, but undue importance on socializing with other people.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemming getting out and doing things with people, it's just that I prefer my own company to that of other people (as another poster here said), with one exception: people that are like-minded.  I very much enjoy the company of people that I can share similar ideas with.  I have a friend whom I met in the Air Force almost 22 years ago, and though we differ slightly in personality, we are very much alike in outlook and attitude.  When we call each other (he's in Colorado, I'm in California) we can go on for hours...

Because I'm sharing a duplex with 2 brothers and therefore don't have the luxury of being completey alone, I really can't say much regarding this topic of OBE's being effected, or enhanced by solitude.  My intuition however tells me that it would IMHO.  After all, many of the ancient writings from the east tell of sages and masters that retreated to the mountains, forest, or some other secluded spot away from society to further their spiritual development.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or else what's Heaven for?

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or else what's Heaven for?

-Robert Browning

Qui-Gon Jinn

Wow, seems like many of ´us´ here share this "hermit characteristic" - I fall under that category as well, to say the least...   I treasure my solitude very high, spending the vast majority of my time ´in my own company´, and the company of nature and its habitants..

Clearly it is a ´trait´ very common among the, in lack of other words, ´spiritual individuals´.

"Solitude is extremely important to magickal/energy development. "
 That is the case no doubt, even though this is so, society seems to look down on solitude, western society I should add...   in our part of the world people look up to the ones who is heard the most, seen the most, figuring on the most magazines, acchieving most (of ´materialistic´ nature that is...) and the list goes on....   tells quite a bit about society doesn´t it?´
 My brother and I gets along very good, and he is me best mate I reckon´, but he is totally unlike me, he wants people around him ALL the time, very keen of his appearance/image...   I don´t think he has spent many moments by himself during his 27 year long life, and no surprise, he has no interrest whatsoever in ´spirituality´, totally lost in the materialistic world, and pretty much does not believe for a moment we are more than this crude matter´, he´s a good fellow though.
 I don´t ´judge´ him or people like him or anything like that, but what I mean is that it seems to go hand-in-hand in general...  

On the contrary, In places like for example Tibet, most (at least Many) people look up to those who put their own should I say personal ´status´ and vanity aside, focusing their energy on spiritual development and serving others.    

Personal time is what makes us grow, no wonder the world looks like it does considering our politicians doesn´t engage that much in solitude....

Bitsmart,

"What solitude has done for me is allowed the 'real me' to blossom and grow. As I adjust to these new aspects of me, I slowly let them come out around other people."
  I am just like that to!´

Nitetravler,

"After all, many of the ancient writings from the east tell of sages and masters that retreated to the mountains, forest, or some other secluded spot away from society to further their spiritual development."
  Makes perfect sence, I don´t think there are many exceptions there...

Be well //Qui-Gon

- Your focus determines your reality -

Frank

Well, you all speak for yourself. I have a happy life amongst others both Physical and Astral together with a loving wife who sleeps by my side every night.

Yours,
Frank

Qui-Gon Jinn

Good for you Frank, and don´t worry - no one will view you as the anti christ for having your wife sleeping next to you and spending time with people...      

Take care //Qui-Gon

- Your focus determines your reality -

distant bell

Hi al!
I am a loner to in a way.. I do like to meet people everyday, and meet my
friends, but I need lots of time alone too! Basically I think it´s a matter of having the riht people around oneselfe. There  are wery few people that I really conect with- most seem to shallow or different.I guess I wouldn´t mind having more people around me if they where of the rirght type..
But I still would need some hours ebvery day in solitude..
I am single, but would like to have a girl by my side, but it is hard to find someone who suites, who is alike.
Frank- It is fully possible to live with a wife ( I wish I did..) and still be more of a loner...  after al in a marriage it is abit different then with having other people around, and if the partner is similar in mind, both can still have there peace... If both respect the others needs.

-- Love is the Law - Love under Will --

Ashfo

I'm definetly not the hermit type.

I need people around me usually, but occassionally I just get the huge desire to be entirely alone and peaceful by myself, and I become angry to anyone that tries to interact with me or even talks to someone else near me.

The moods just come on quickly and have no set pattern or pre-reqs... its real strange :)

- Ashfo

nightflier101

I like the word Loner, instead of hermit.
I love being all to myself, it doesn't bother me at all. I get claustrophobia
being around groups of people. It's annoying, especially trying to fit into
their world or taste.
I projected frequently during my loner years. Then when I was 30 I met
this lady with three kids, and my life has been scrambled ever since.
We got married, its been about 8 years now, and I'm very happy but
still need alone time. Which I only get a few hours a week.
I can't OBE consciously but a few times a year now, but sponteneous OBE's
happen around once every few months. RATS!!!
I've lost that feeling of being in-tune with my inner workings, stress and continual distractions have kept me in a fog.

But it's something I have to learn to deal with, a challenge of sorts...

Nightflier...

Frank

Maybe I enter a den of lions with this post, who knows: but I found society in general is always trying to fit you into some hole or other.

I never went for all the "family" thing. One day I might adopt just one of the tens of thousands of starving kids "out there" who die every month through sheer hunger and readily treatable disease.

But, we live in a world where technological advances in weaponry is more important than providing basic medicine for starving kids. Nightflier, you had the courage to "adopt" and often I wish I could give such comittment.

Yours,
Frank

nightflier101

Hey Frank,
I don't think there are any lions around. And thank you for the
nice comment. I always respect what you have to say.

Nightflier...

steveb

Greetings all, It's a stange world we live in

frank wrote : But, we live in a world where technological advances in weaponry is more important than providing basic medicine for starving kids.

I had a discussion not that long ago with my sons in relation to why it all seems so wrong. They were amused at the fact that I thought I could change anything through my meditation,esoteric persuits ect . they were eluding to the fact that i was somewhat strange.
         Working in  automotive transport ( Tow trucks ), i used a work  related analogy. You arrive at an accident scene, theres two damaged vehicles in the middle of the road, at one vehicle's  the owner is jumping up and down, swearing, kicking his vehicle , abusing people and so. Most onlookers would think, well his upset. Now if they looked and noticed the other driver, for example:, sitting under a tree, relaxed, maybe in a lotus position, doing a calming chant ect, what would most of the populas say,"who's the Fruitloop",would be a common type of answer.                                                And that is what's wrong with the world, it's really simple EGO's .

look inwards before outward's

regards  steve  

Tisha

Folks, these questions are near-and-dear to me.  I'm the hermit-type.  In fact, I even left my marriage for want of total solitude and no real other reason.  For many years, I found that the only time I had magickal experiences was when I was alone!  So I became a loner.

Solitude is extremely important to magickal/energy development.  However, Love brings us to dance with the World (not hide from it) and we find ourselves surrounded by partners, kids, cats . . . so that brings me to my question(s):

1) How many hours of waking solitude do you enjoy (or endure) during your week, and

2) How much effect does it have on the frequency or duration of your OBEs or similar "complications of consciousness?"

3) Can you OBE when someone is with you?  

4) Have you been disturbed by a friend, family member or pet during an OBE?  I am particularly interested if anyone has been disturbed during vibrations, because I've NEVER been able to break out of an OBE in that state.

I'd love to hear what other people have to say about this issue.  Thanks!

Tisha

Tisha