nutmeg - helpful or not?

Previous topic - Next topic

hoogli

nutmeg, if you didn't know, has psychological effects at large doses (10g or more). when attempting AP after eating 15g of nutmeg, my body felt "fuzzy" whenever i moved. is that a good sign or bad sign?

Nay

I have no idea.  Sounds silly to be eating nutmeg like that.  Doesn't it taste awful?  Perhaps you should read our FAQ section and try and do the natural way?

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_the_astral_faq-b46.0/   Good reading and does not come with an aftertaste. :-D

Selski

Only your body can tell you whether it's good or bad.  My body doesn't like caffeine, and yet other bodies seem to "need" it.

My body loves ginger, melon, cheese, peanuts and chocolate - and yet for others these substances can cause awful reactions.

There is no good and bad.  Anything in big quantities is probably to be avoided, however, if it feels right for you, then go ahead. 

Sarah

P.S.  This does not mean I am approving extremely strong drugs, just because "heroin felt right, and Selski said that was OK, therefore it's her fault...:-P

Each to their own, we are responsible for our own actions, and no judgement/fault is upon anyone.

Harrumph.

Sarah
We all find nonsenses to believe in; it's part of being alive.

kiwibonga

I've been looking around... It's pretty annoying, I can't seem to find a precise account of the effects...

The most precise is this:

QuoteOne interesting footnote is that during the nutmeg high's peak, I occasionally detected movement in my peripheral vision. Upon turning my eyes to the target area, the movement would cease. This was strange, but I paid it little heed since I knew it was the nutmeg. My nervousness manifested itself in alarm at sudden noises of any kind. If the clock chimed for the hour, or the refrigerator motor stopped, I turned my head quickly and shuddered in surprise which quickly dissipated.

(http://www.truthtree.com/Nutmeg.shtml)

That sounds like a light trance state -- sudden noises have a profound effect. It seems the subject here was rather paranoid, maybe it's a side effect of nutmeg..

All in all, not enough information out there to really tell if it would facilitate OBE or not... It seems to be one of these drugs where the bad outweighs the good, hence why it's not very popular...
OBE counter: Lost track! 35+ since 3/21/2006

MisterJingo

Be careful when taking nutmeg, there is evidence that it damages the liver in high doses. Also, it can be very long lasting and leave a very long 'hangover' (days long). Also, i've read that nutmeg shouldnt be taken in combination with MAOIs.

Nutmeg shouldn't be taken lightly as it's essential oils contain analogues of MDA - which is in the same family of drugs as MDMA and Mescaline (phenethylamines) i.e. pretty serious psychoative drugs.

More info can be found here:

http://www.erowid.com/plants/nutmeg/nutmeg.shtml

MisterJingo

Quote from: kiwibonga on March 30, 2007, 15:51:22
All in all, not enough information out there to really tell if it would facilitate OBE or not... It seems to be one of these drugs where the bad outweighs the good, hence why it's not very popular...

From my own experience with nutmeg, I don't think it is a good tool for OBE. FIrstly the side effects can be too distracting, secondly, the effect on consciousness and tactile perception are very different from my natural experiences of OBE and energy sensations. At times nutmeg felt very much like a stoned buzz.

psychonaut

Helpful to obe? Maybe. I only did it once. I took 70 grams of nutmeg in clear caps which i ground to a powder myself. I also naturally deprived myself of sleep before the experience. It took a while to kick in. When it did I was in school. The experience started out as fun, kind of a group consciousness type of high. Then it was kind of overwhelming, like I was in control of the room or something, and I became really tired whilst paranoia was rising. So I walked out of school and slept in a nearby field for a few hours and when I got home I slept for a whole 24 or 25 hours! longest sleep I've ever had. So maybe. But I don't really recommend trying it at all. It might have been a more useful psychonautic experience if I had been more awake during it!
my brains are scrambled. my head's an egg.

Principle

I would not recommend Nutmeg for spiritual and energy uses. Nutmeg is intoxicating and is known as a hallucigen if you take a high dosage or purely ground.

I've messed with several substances including nutmeg in the past,
also including Salvia D. which I believed to hold some spiritual value.

However, If you need to take any drug in order to achieve a spiritual, or enlightened state.
It truely isn't one. (Nor are you on your way to spiritual enlightenment with the use of substances)

cavernstoy

I don't know about nutmeg, but if you want to use a natural substance to induce an out of body experience, you might try salvia divorinium.  I've never done it, but I know someone who tried it once, he said he "fell" out of his body, and this was before we even knew about obe.

Hope this was helpful

Cavernstoy
Confusion separates us...and division teaches us that unity is the only truth.

Principle

Cavernstoy, Apparently you did not read my last post, or pay much attention to it.
I mentioned Salvia D. (Salvia Divorinium).

There is no way to prove that these substances are inducing true OBEs,
For they contain Hallucigenic properities.

Although I cannot control anyone, I can only make suggestions.
Using substances will not provide you with a true state of enlightenment, or spirituality.

Your Spirit and Will power is enough.

hoogli

Quote from: psychonaut on March 30, 2007, 16:44:52
I took 70 grams of nutmeg in clear caps which i ground to a powder myself.

and you're still alive? wow.

thanks to everyone for your feedback  :-D

psychonaut

yeah. healthy as an ox. or is that strong. Principle, i think your right about the spirit thing. I'd like to try salvia again sometime soon. my first and only experience with it was a waste of 20 bucks, but that's because i passed it like herb, instead of bogartin like you should  :-D
my brains are scrambled. my head's an egg.

andonitxo

As far as I know nutmeg is poisonous in certain quantities. In my country it is used, in fresh powder, added so certain dishes to improve their taste. Anyway it has not a good taste, so I guess the trick is in combining it with other tastes to modify someway.

According to what I read if you eat a whole nutmeg you just die, intoxicated. If you take it in lesser amounts you can have a hallucinogenic experience.

Anywhere I don't think its use it's worth the result. Avoid such "helps" and rely, exclusively, in your own inner means.

Principle

What it does truely induce is constipation, lol.

And I know this because back in the day I used to experiment with Nutmeg. (And Salvia D.)
So take it from someone whose tried it and knows the effects, Learn from other peoples experiences :)

Just say 'NO' to drugs. (Hehe)

Dragonhawk

I don't have any nutmeg, will Cinnamon do?

:lol:
Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.    Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

iNNERvOYAGER

Quote from: Principle on March 31, 2007, 00:52:33
However, If you need to take any drug in order to achieve a spiritual, or enlightened state.
It truely isn't one. (Nor are you on your way to spiritual enlightenment with the use of substances)

//signed

>Dragonhawk
"I don't have any nutmeg, will Cinnamon do?"

yes, some with a very weak cup of coffee before meditation practice.   :-D