Leaving a lucid dream behind

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyHollow

I've been reading Monroe's books. With the way I am, I knew that reading about it every day would quickly cause me to have and remember some experiences.

Last night I started off in a lucid dream, looked around the room, and I sensed that it was just a dream. So I did a brief movement of some sort, kind of like what you do to wake up, but with the intention of going somewhere real out of body instead of waking. I didn't want to push it too hard or I felt like I would wake up, so I did it carefully. The environment became uncertain, but then it went back to the same as it was before, or similar. I figured I'd explore a bit if my choice was between that and waking, so I did and lost control of my consciousness or whatever you call that when you get caught up in the dream.

So, a few options I can think of to get out of the dream and to somewhere more significant -

- Fly up and leave the planet, with the theory that the dream is an actual "place" in the Earth system in the sense that it's a fictional place I'm creating in the same plane as others, and I can simply leave it by travelling up
- Abort the dream by dismissing the environment altogether and do a sort of moving or backing off (as I did last night) repeatedly until I find myself some other place acceptable
- Asking for someone to assist me out of there
- Wake up and try again, because I'm not going to get anywhere once I'm in a dream

One thing I think is helping is being constantly aware and conscious of sensations, sounds and images and not just konking out to sleep. I frequently wake up at night, and I would bet there have been tons of times I wasn't physically awake but I simply continued to dream of myself lying there sleeping. It makes me think of the dazed people in the inner rings Monroe talks about who are just standing there unaware. Monroe wrote about having continual consciousness rather than going to sleep and waking up out of body. When I had a questionable experience several months ago, it happened right after I laid down.
NotDreams - My Astral Projection Blog
https://www.notdreams.com

EscapeVelocity

These are all good realizations you are having. There are also some suppositions you are considering that have varying value. Be open to them, explore them, be ready to hold them or drop them when the time may come. You are entering into a great period of exploration and instruction.

Don't discount the value of your lucid dreams. The fact that you recognize them as LDs is a good recognition. They are one method that your teaching will take, so don't ignore them. They are just one of several modalities that your instruction will take. It won't always be clear to you and it won't always seem to make sense; just go with the flow as best as you can.

Being in your room, trying to find a way out is just one of the first tests. If it re-sets like you describe, then you didn't arrive at the solution so you were given a second chance to figure it out. This is a test of your NP cognitive abilities and your instinctive tendencies to understand where you are and what is required to navigate the environment.

It is a bit tough at first; but you will figure it out. You will cuss at me today, but we will have a laugh about it a year from now, lol.

Enjoy.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
                                                          -O. Wilde

Xanth

I'll expand a bit on what EV spoke about.
Quote from: SleepyHollow on March 02, 2016, 05:45:30
Last night I started off in a lucid dream, looked around the room, and I sensed that it was just a dream.
In this "lucid dream", how would you rate "how aware" you were in comparison to your current waking awareness?

See, I don't use terms like "dream", "lucid dream" or "astral projection" much anymore... why?  Because they're inadequate to describe whatever experience I've had.  In my eyes, they don't even exist.

Read this article I wrote a while back for more information on that: http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/2012/07/22/labeling-experiences-of-the-non-physical/

When you drop the labels you'll quickly figure out what you are much better at "projecting" than you think you are... but it requires a slight shift in your perspective, and after years of your current perspective, that shift can be slightly difficult to make.

QuoteSo, a few options I can think of to get out of the dream and to somewhere more significant
Read and understand what I've posted above and you'll realize that you're not "in a dream"... ever.  Dreams don't exist.  You're ALWAYS projecting, you just project with varying levels of awareness.

Quote- Fly up and leave the planet, with the theory that the dream is an actual "place" in the Earth system in the sense that it's a fictional place I'm creating in the same plane as others, and I can simply leave it by travelling up
- Abort the dream by dismissing the environment altogether and do a sort of moving or backing off (as I did last night) repeatedly until I find myself some other place acceptable
- Asking for someone to assist me out of there
- Wake up and try again, because I'm not going to get anywhere once I'm in a dream
These things only change your non-physical environment.  They don't change anything about you or your experience.

SleepyHollow

I think I'm starting to get what you're saying here.

Last night I started in a room and kind of grunted in an effort to will myself to fly up out of the room, without success. When I woke up I saw the futility of trying to move like that. I remember a dream years ago where I learned to do big hops to fence tops and other objects, and it felt great to be in that kind of control and be able to do exactly what I wanted. Believing in the impending success of each hop was key.

I guess it's silly to say a dream isn't real enough and in the same moment try to escape it or discard it as if it IS a real thing! That's like trying to escape my own mind. If the dreamlike environment represents my own state of being or clutter or the noise that is preventing me from perceiving other things, then it's meaningful. I'll try looking at it with a mix of compassion, thoughtfulness and skepticism, with the idea of learning what I can from it and making the changes necessary to go beyond it.

Xanth, to answer your question about how aware I was, I guess I don't know how to compare it to physically awake to rate it. But I know I get more impulsive and less thoughtful, and I have almost no knowledge of my physical life in a current sense like where I'm sleeping or how old I am. It's interesting that I always forget all that and yet I still can retain other things like my mission of learning to explore it. I'm guessing that's a common thing.
NotDreams - My Astral Projection Blog
https://www.notdreams.com