Robert Monroe and his books

Previous topic - Next topic

dharma_talk

I was wondering if anyone else has read this mans material and if so what they think of it.
Virtues are no less contagious than vices.

dharma_talk

when reading his book, i had wierd instances of deja vu, in which it felt as if I remembered astral projecting as a child, but unintentionaly.  I remember having a very big room as a kid, and being afraid to close my eyes. I also remember all sorts of crazy things happening like figures floating above my head, and myself crying and not crying at the same time, its all very fuzzy, but i feel somehow connected to the astral realm.  Reading over this I feel like a lunatic.  If anyone can realte please do so.
Virtues are no less contagious than vices.

ralphm

I'm sure we all experienced strange things as kids -there was a period when we were not really in our bodies all the time and probably had experiences that remain undecodeable by our logical brains today. The one thing I remember as weird is feeling both small and expanded at the same time. I have since felt similar things while meditating.
The other thing that is presented by Monroe that makes reality weird is the possible interplay/communication  between yourself from different lifetimes.
In the world in general and in this nation
May not even the names disease, famine, war, and suffering be heard.
May virtuous qualities, merit, and prosperity greatly increase
And may continuous good fortune and subline well-being perfectly arise.

Astral-Jas

Well I just got journeys out of the body by Robert. I really like it, already half way through the book and almost into the how to part. He even talks about ASTRAL SEX! Lol...

I do suggest reading it though. He has journal entries of when he had his OBE's too.

clandestino

All 3 of his books make great reading. Furthermore, you can see how his understanding of non-physical reality evolves & changes as he gets more and more experienced over the years.

The sheer volume of his OBE "flying time" (for want of a better phrase) over the years, is something that most of us can only dream about !

Mark
I'll Name You The Flame That Cries

Veccolo

The first book was OK, as it was the most objective and practical of the three. The last two mainly focus on his subjective (imo fictitious) experiences, which were useless to me.
I don't do much, and I do it well.

Frank

Hello:

JOB was the first (and for many years the only) book I read on this topic 20-odd years ago. The technique given in the book worked really well for me, and set me off on an amazing adventure. Problem is now a significant proportion of his experiences in JOB concerning what he called "locales" is way out of date. Later on he developed his "focus-level" concept that went a long way beyond his early exploration, which was rather limited by comparison to his later stuff.

The problem with his two later books is you need quite a bit of practical experience before you can follow them. Otherwise they are largely meaningless. They are not what you might call practical books that contain techniques for beginners and the like. They are books that entirely relate to his experiences, and in a non-mystical way; which is why I, for one, understood them very well.

I can understand why a previous poster would call them fiction. But I can assure people they are pretty much bang on when it comes to describing the kinds of experiences you can have, once you step outside the limitations of the "mystical box" and get down to some proper exploring. I managed to replicate most of his work. I even found the place with the huge cars in JOB. But people who are into the mystical side of things I guess will have difficulties following any of it.

As for Monroe merely relating to his subjective experiences, well, he was dwelling within subjective reality! As such, it does very much beg the question of what experiences could he possibly relate, therefore?

Yours,
Frank

mactombs

Quotewhen reading his book, i had wierd instances of deja vu, in which it felt as if I remembered astral projecting as a child, but unintentionaly.

That's odd, I felt the same thing when I read them.

Personally, they're my favorite books on the topic. I prefer them over the more mystical ones by a wide margin. As far as techniques go, though, they've never been very helpful - I don't think that's where they benefit most anyway.

What's more, even if it is fiction, it is a good read.
A certain degree of neurosis is of inestimable value as a drive, especially to a psychologist - Sigmund Freud

Perseu

Frank,

I read all the books from Robert Monroe and in his second one (Far Journeys) he said that the techniques found in his first book were "primitive" when he looked at them in that stage of his understanding of how things were working about his projections. I find it funny now, because the Monroe Institute has a new series called "Support to journeys out of the body" constituted of 4 CD´s of hemi-sync sounds that work upon Conditions A, B, C and D that he explained in his first book. Do you know this latest work from Hemi-Sync?

Frank

Hello:

I'm not all that well up on the Monroe Institute offerings. What I always believed was sorely needed was an updated JOB book. I never understood why Monroe didn't publish some definitive practical work based on his later Phasing techniques. The cynical side of me says that had he done so, then perhaps not quite so many people would be queuing up to buy the thousand-dollar+ courses and hundred-dollar CDs and so forth.

The recounts of places in JOB are hopelessely out of date and, as you say, Monroe himself readily acknowledged this. On the other hand, the book continues to sell. So the Monroe Institute will no doubt wish to capitalise on this. I'm not knocking them or anything, don't get me wrong. I mean, it's each to their own at the end of the day.

I will be publishing a series of guidebooks based on my own Phasing work, that came about from following in Monroe's footsteps. Part-1 hopefully will be out in late Spring this year. I also hope to create a CD or two of my own as the old Hemi-Sync, to me, is way too expensive for what it is.

Plus, there is a new technology I hope to bring into physical reality sometime in 2006, which is a video/sound Phasing tool on DVD format. This holds the promise of allowing a person to manipulate their physical reality from the area of consciousness they currently call their dreamscape. I am still developing this in a subjective sense, but I am hoping to perfom some physical trials in late 2005.

Yours,
Frank

clandestino

Quote from: FrankThis holds the promise of allowing a person to manipulate their physical reality from the area of consciousness they currently call their dreamscape. I am still developing this in a subjective sense, but I am hoping to perfom some physical trials in late 2005.

Hey there Frank !

Sounds very interesting....looking forward to reading your findings, as your trials progress / after they are complete.

Mark
I'll Name You The Flame That Cries

PennywiseTheClown

Hello all,

I wonder what you all think is so "dated" about Monroe's early "locales" concept. It's exactly what one discovers when projecting. It's even consistent with Robert Bruce's work - Locale 1 is the real time zone, Locale 2 the astral plane (even if we still don't know what that Locale 3 was :-)). As far as I understand the Focus Levels, they are not "replacing" the Locales, but a completely different thing - Locales and Focus Levels are two different methods of navigation OOB, the Locales applying more to the "classical" types of projection, the Focus levels applying more to the "phasing" types. However I wouldn't go as far as saying that one of them is more valid than the other.
We all float down here ... and if you're down here with me ... YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!!!

Perseu

Hi Frank thanks for your words and I hope you publish your book soon!

I also agree with Penny that Locales and Focus levels are different things. In fact, someone can go to Focus 21 without "leaving" the body behind, as we usually believe (Robert Bruce talk about copies of consciousness). We can connect to Focus 21 by expand our consciousness.

But a person can go to Focus 21 "leaving" the body behind and I think that in this case this person is in locale 1, since his astral body "moved" to this state.

Before I was thinking that Focus 21 was equal as an OBE, but I perceived that the OBE isn't necessary to that. That helps to explain why Bob Monroe reported his personal OBES while he was in Focus 10 (in the book Far Journeys if I´m not wrong). At first I didn't understand (because I was still in the belief system that OBE = Focus 21) but now everything makes sense. Now I´m trying to use the "Conditions" that Monroe described in his first book with the help of the CD´s, in fact this work from the Institute Monroe was developed to help people go into Locale 1. Since focus 21 is only the "bridge" between dimensions, I think we can go easily to upper focus levels just with thinking. I´m also in preliminary experience successes, but I´m practicing very much to change that!

Perseu

Frank

Again, it's each to their own.

I mean, I love classic Ferraris but that doesn't mean to say everyone would want to drive one. As far as subjective exploration is concerned, people obviously relate to the "astral planes" model. They can draw parallels between various lines of study and perhaps gain comfort in that, or whatever. I used to subscribe to this myself at one time. It served its purpose, took me a few more rungs up the ladder, so to speak.

Monroe's early work broadly followed the typical mystical model but with alternate terminology. His later work expanded on this to include a more encompassing model that brought the topic up to date, so to speak, i.e. he broke the monopoly hold of the mystics. But we do have to understand that it is only a model of consciousness at the end of the day. A model that seeks to objectively express (in limited terms) the nature of the wider subjective reality.

Monroe's work was brilliant in that, but like all things they move on. People's understanding broadens to encompass progressively more of the wider truth.

Some people, such as myself, get really turned-on by the more cutting-edge developments, and very much like to publish them for the benefit of others who feel the same; and there are others who are content with the old way of doing things. Just like me and classic cars. But then there are the people who would be lost without the very latest in personal-transportation gizmotronics, and that turns me off completely.

Yours,
Frank