Sam Parnia on the Aware study

Previous topic - Next topic

Astralzombie

It says that out of 2060 cardiac arrest patients, only 657 survived.

Out of that 657, only 152 would do an interview.

Out of 152, 30% (roughly 46 people)reported what qualifies as an NDE according to the study but no one reported seeing God or a white light. They only reported what they perceived to be happening in the room.

From there, they only tell us a tiny bit about two cases, not that only two people had the NDE.

Unfortunately they can't predict when and where someone will have a heart attack so no survivors that were interviewed happened to be in a room with prearranged images.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain

desert-rat

These are doctors doing a scientific kind of test .  It would be interesting to know what the Greyson test is .  I would think that some of Sam Parnia's colleagues read these forums and would do as I suggested and put a Barbie , g.i. Joe , or Gumby in a box in a high place in the operating room .

TylerSnotgern

Quote from: Ofen on November 13, 2013, 18:43:25
ok, you have a better story than mine? I know u can only prove to yourselve. I am curious what it could be, I want to listen about your experience. And dont cite any spiritual autors, share with me your own experience.

If this story is good, I will tell you another story, an self-experiment I did for myselfe two times on OBE. Since then I know the power of your mind and its limitation. Since these experiments I know it is all in your mind.
I'd love to share several dozen experiences but since you 'know', it would be of no value to you.  :-P

TylerSnotgern

QuoteAuditory and/or visual experiences during unconsciousness may be a relatively common phenomenon. Even though these experiences may not reflect the conventionally defined NDE and may be different, they may indicate that consciousness may not cease as expected with cessation of heartbeat during CA
Sufficiently vague. Five "mays".

Parnia has admitted that he is seeking follow-on funding so don't expect he will cut his own head off with any firm "NDE's are real" conclusions. I expect that he may get one or two veridical hits that he may spin into another set of "mays".

Ofen

TylerSnotgern show your stories. Maybe Sam Parnia read this article so his next study will not be about NDE but about OBE. There he can do the image tests with 1000 of OBEler.

And then there is no "maybe these, maybe that" as a result.

Astralzombie

The results of any study on NDEs and OOBEs will always be interesting and will garner much attention from interested parties but ultimately, nothing will come of it. Believers will believe and skeptics will doubt or outright disbelieve.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain

Ofen

yeah, look at the results of this 5 years study. But what about a gigantic study with OBEler? Because of internet there are more OBEler than in the 70s or 80s. You can find them more easier.

And then you do it with modern science and not with the science methods n the 70s where some people like Uri Geller can foul scientists.

Ofen

The whole Aware Study failed. 5 Years study for this? They want to go on with it but it would be better to stop this right now!

Or there should be someone else who leads this study, someone who has knowledge about this stuff. What do you think?

catmeow

We've only seen the abstract. Has anybody read the full text? Regarding getting someone else to lead it, Sam Parnia is more than competent. Just watch any of his YouTube videos. He's good.
The bad news is there's no key to the Universe. The good news is it's not locked. - Swami Beyondananda

Lionheart

Here is a recent article that briefly mentions Dr. Sam Parnia's results of his studies on 152 "Survivors".

"During the AHA meeting, Dr. Sam Parnia, head of intensive care at Stony Brook University Hospital in New York, reported early results of a 25-hospital study of how frequently cardiac arrest survivors see or hear things while their hearts are stopped. Of 152 survivors interviewed, 37 percent said they had recollections from the unconscious period. Only two recalled actually seeing events and one described any events that could be verified. None saw images mounted in the treatment room as part of the experiment."

Here is the entire article: http://www.newsnet5.com/news/science-tech/scientists-looking-closer-at-what-happens-when-body-dies

Volgerle

As Mr Parnia is also quoted in this paper, I put it here instead of making a new thread.

Came across this good science paper debunking (or at least criticising heavily) the materialist theories to 'explain away' NDEs as a mere brain phenomenon. It's by the Department of Neurosciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy / Italian Center of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, Torino, Italy / Department of General Psychology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy

http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/Facco2012NDE.pdf

If you're not familiar like me with medicine terminology some parts might be a bit difficult. However, I think it is still readable also for a medical layperson.

TylerSnotgern

Quote from: Astralzombie on November 18, 2013, 09:26:06
The results of any study on NDEs and OOBEs will always be interesting and will garner much attention from interested parties but ultimately, nothing will come of it. Believers will believe and skeptics will doubt or outright disbelieve.
Yep, if you're trying to get the [pseudo]skeptics to buy in with any magnitude, good luck with that. Ain't happening.

It's the fence sitters or the uninitiated that may come across to the proponent position, they are the few, low hanging fruit(s).  :wink:

Szaxx

There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

catmeow

The bad news is there's no key to the Universe. The good news is it's not locked. - Swami Beyondananda

PlasmaAstralProjection